September 15, 2019, 04:09:24 PM

Author Topic: Joel's garage build / organization  (Read 37242 times)

Offline freeskier7791

Re: Joel's garage build / organization
« Reply #285 on: August 28, 2019, 07:30:25 AM »
I have heard good things about Nohrs.  Congrats on finding what looks like the perfect house.  I did the same thing with the T8s when my company switched to LED.

How would you control humidity in the shop?  I would think it would be a daily battle keeping things from rusting.

Offline frijolee

« Reply #286 on: August 28, 2019, 02:14:31 PM »
How would you control humidity in the shop?  I would think it would be a daily battle keeping things from rusting.

Open to suggestions.  I don't really know for sure, but I suspect I'll be buying WD-40 by the gallon and just wiping down all my tools every use.  Weld table is already getting some surface rust on the legs while living on the "dry" side of town.  I might POR-15 but the wipe down with WD-40 or hell, used motor oil isn't a terrible approach either.
LS2 stroker FC, Mandeville big brakes, widebody, etc
Build thread:  http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1274.0
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #287 on: August 28, 2019, 03:51:23 PM »
I have a dehumidifier running in the garage where I store the Cobra and MACH 1, as well as where the lathe and milll are.
I plumbed the drain through the wall, and have it on a timer so it only runs during the warmer parts of the day.  Otherwise, they tend to freeze up in the colder months.

I need to look into one for the shop as well, but the post/frame construction seems to breathe enough to keep the humidity in check anyway.
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline kinger

« Reply #288 on: August 28, 2019, 03:55:58 PM »
I have a dehumidifier running in the garage where I store the Cobra and MACH 1, as well as where the lathe and milll are.
I plumbed the drain through the wall, and have it on a timer so it only runs during the warmer parts of the day.  Otherwise, they tend to freeze up in the colder months.

I need to look into one for the shop as well, but the post/frame construction seems to breathe enough to keep the humidity in check anyway.

You have THE best solutions for all your stuff!  Between the pressure washer and automatic dumping dehumidifiers I wish I was close by to see your shop and goodies!  Tons of good ideas so far!
93 Touring, 6.2L, T56 Magnum, Mamo RPS BC2 clutch, 8.8, samberg everything, AC, PS, TC, Cruise, LED Tails, HID head lights

Offline Exidous

« Reply #289 on: August 28, 2019, 04:52:29 PM »
If you're only running a dehumidifier or two during the day a few solar panels seems like a pretty good investment.
94 BB SBE LS1 Full Mamo top, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and another custom dual 2.5" stainless exhaust. Too loud, need bigger muffler....

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #290 on: August 28, 2019, 09:33:58 PM »

You have THE best solutions for all your stuff!  Between the pressure washer and automatic dumping dehumidifiers I wish I was close by to see your shop and goodies!  Tons of good ideas so far!

Thanks for the compliments Kinger.  I like stuff I don't have to mess with everyday, especially since I travel for work.

I don't always get it right though.  When I built the first garage, I made a platform above the rafters for a dehumidifier.
It quit working the first or second summer. 
It was replaced a couple times under warranty, but after the second failure I figured it just got too hot for them to run up there.
I built another shelf about 30" off the floor, beside the air compressor, and put the next one there. 
It lasted several years before I had to replace it.
I added the timer on the current one, and it seems to do much better when given a break every few hours.
I think the last one was freezing up when running continuously, which blocked airflow through the unit.
The breaks give any ice time to melt off the coils, plus cuts down on overall run time and power usage.
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline frijolee

« Reply #291 on: September 11, 2019, 06:06:08 AM »
Layout progress:

Interesting twist is using my two big ass cabinets to form something of a divider wall between the mechanic area and the dirty grinding area.  With thanks to 65imp for pointing that out.

Thoughts?
-Joel
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #292 on: September 11, 2019, 06:14:57 AM »
Joel, if you can put the engine stuff on the mechanic side so it doesn't get dirty with grinding and metal.  if you ever build an engine it will be on the clean side not the dirty side

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #293 on: September 11, 2019, 09:20:40 AM »
I think that's a solid plan.    FWIW I really like my transparent divider curtain between my garage sides and it makes a HUGE difference in metal dust migration between sides.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish

Online wickedrx7

« Reply #294 on: September 11, 2019, 10:56:32 AM »
Looks solid to me. Only thing is if you are planning on getting a lift at some point, do you have enough room in front for a lift and car?
FYI - I ordered a gallon of the Legacy Hellfire floor coating. I'll let you know what I think of it.

1993 Touring, 2012 L99, T-56, Ronnin 8.8, Ohlins, Speedhut, Samberg and lots of custom parts
Build Thread - http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19354.0
Pictures - www.flikr.com/wickedrx7

Offline frijolee

« Reply #295 on: September 11, 2019, 03:09:45 PM »
From Blake - I clicked the wrong button and broke Joel's post.   Mah bad!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 10:07:37 AM by digitalsolo »
www.roninspeedworks.com

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #296 on: September 12, 2019, 07:46:15 AM »
Wow that looks pretty cool!

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #297 on: September 12, 2019, 10:08:00 AM »
Quote from: frijolee
Re the plasma table.  Anyone seen a table that could take either a plasma cutter or router?  Seems like that would up the versatility greatly.  Hell, it would be trick if I could mound a circ saw to it and rip seams.  That might limit my desire for a proper table saw.

Check this out:   
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish