March 28, 2024, 07:16:27 PM

Author Topic: FC Electric Integra Speedometer Installation  (Read 86282 times)

Offline digitalsolo

FC Electric Integra Speedometer Installation
« on: May 10, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by mtmetzger:

I figured I would post a few pictures of my little project over this past weekend.  I had all the stock gauges working in my LT1 FC except for the speedo.  The cableX module was an option, but a very expensive one at that.  I debated on doing an aftermarket gauge and even kicked around the idea of mounting a GPS where the stock speedomoter is, but the readout was a little small for my tastes.  Then I remembered that I had an extra stock cluster from my old 1994 Acura Integra.  I pulled it out of storage and sized it up.  It looked close enough, so I slapped it in the FC cluster.  Here is the process...

Sizing up the gauges...

Trimming...

Test Fit...

Plugged old Trip ODO reset and drilled a new one:

Extended the ODO reset post with part of the stock RX7 one...

There wasn't a good way to screw it into the housing with all the electronics, so I hot-glued it to the face plate. I also attached the inputs with ring terminals and isolated them from the board with rubber o-rings.  I installed a small connector so the cluster can be removed from the car easily.

Finished Product!

It turned out as great as I hoped it would.  It looks pretty stock in there and works very well.  The output on the T-56 is 1000 pulses per mile and most jap cars are 1025 PPM.  Also, the rear end ratio is different from the camaro, so it reads about 10MPH high at 55MPH arrording to my GPS.  I understand that I can get it all calibrated out when I get the car tuned.  Illumination is actually pretty good.  The picture I took during test fitting wasn't the best, but I will snap another one soon since it is installed in the car.

Feel free to leave your C/C.  Let me know if you have any questions or if this was helpful at all!!! :)

Edit -

Update:

You need to get the VSS signal from the VSS output wire of the PCM.  Not just tapping into the Sensor itself.

LS1 folks:  Look through these pinout charts and find your year.  Seems like you will be looking for a Dark Green / White wire located at pin 55 (1998) or 50 (1999+) on the red circuit.

LS1 Swap FAQs - LS1TECH

LT1 folks: This is for 1995, earlier years may be different.  You are looking for a Dk Green / white wire located at pin B8

Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Gen V LT4/TR6060, upper/lower pullies, headers, tune.
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Stock...ish.

Offline digitalsolo

Re: FC Electric Integra Speedometer Installation
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 04:08:53 PM »
Originally posted by LM7_RX7:

did my integra speedo mod thing. i did it a little different then the other one cause i made it so it looks stock.

Blake MF'ing McBride
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Gen V LT4/TR6060, upper/lower pullies, headers, tune.

Offline digitalsolo

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 04:10:40 PM »
Originally posted by Ricardo:

I picked up this ebay Integra Cluster:

Removed the speedometer. I used the needle from the Integra (painted it white). I noticed that the RX7 needle did not fit too tight on the Integra speedo.

Did the transplant.  ended up looking like this:

I also chose to use the stock faceplate to make it look stock.
The only differences with LM7_RX7 is that I bolted it up to the dash plastic case using these 3/16" thick nylon spacers:

And integrated the electrical to the circuit board.  The speed signal from the PCM will be fed thru the 20 000 mile swich wire.  I removed the relay that was being used in the 20 000 mile circuit.

to roll back the odometer I pried the small tenths gear shaft from one side (did it on the wrong side btw) and resetted the counter to 0.  Then you hav to mesh the gears correcly again and pop it in place:

While being able to turn the odometer wheels I took my time to clean them up a bit with some soap and water.  This is how they looked afterwards:

You cant beat this conversion.  I pyed about $50 for the integra dash.  Thanks mtmetzger for letting us know the Integra speedometer fitted so nicely in there!

This is how I went regarding the trip reset:
I bent a small piece of 1/8" wire with a 3/8 offset and drilled and inserted it into the Integra reset button:

I also noticed that the integra needle would sit low and transplanted the Integra needle stop.
Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline FCs Rule

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 11:35:59 PM »
sticky maybe?
._________________________
|.....Overnight.....................| ||
|........Japan Parts................||'|";,___.
|_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
"(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)

hate to say it but i told you so!

Offline YUOnDaGround

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 07:35:36 PM »
What transmission will this mod work with? I have a non-computer controlled 2004-r.
He once challenged his own reflection to a staring contest.  On the fourth day he won.

1988 TII - SBC 305 2004-r

Offline digitalsolo

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 10:33:31 PM »
If you have a 2004-r with a cable drive, just adapt that to the stock speedometer.   :)
Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline YUOnDaGround

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 06:27:53 AM »
If you have a 2004-r with a cable drive, just adapt that to the stock speedometer.   :)

Could you explain the adaptation process? Thank you
He once challenged his own reflection to a staring contest.  On the fourth day he won.

1988 TII - SBC 305 2004-r

Offline digitalsolo

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 09:28:11 AM »
Unfortunately, I've never set one up, since I've always done electric gauges and trannies with a VSS.

You should contact these guys:

http://www.jagsthatrun.com

They can help I believe.
Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline Yarp

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 11:20:44 AM »
Isn't the integra speedo calibrated for a different tire size?
"Yarp has no influence."

Offline digitalsolo

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 11:22:03 AM »
Isn't the integra speedo calibrated for a different tire size?

The speedometer pulses per mile can be configured in most tuning suites or via a Dakota Digital.   :)
Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline Yarp

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 05:20:42 PM »
Quote from: digitalsolo
The speedometer pulses per mile can be configured in most tuning suites or via a Dakota Digital.   :)

*smacks head*
I'm running a 730 ECM and keep forgetting that most of you guys can actually program your stuff. I have to build around it so my mind is always in a different place.
"Yarp has no influence."

Marshessn

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 11:16:58 PM »
FWIW, I am starting on transplanting an entire Integra cluster in my FC. I never had a stock one, due to it coming out of a junkyard and I wanted something I could easily integrate into my car. Plus its grey =]

V8GOD

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 03:56:48 AM »
do i need a Dakota Digital SGI-5C for this?

Offline yamaha

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 06:57:28 PM »
As stupid as this sounds, beside tapping into the VSS signal from the ls pcm, but are the other two wires for 12v and ground?

Marshessn

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 01:49:57 AM »
correct. look at the pictures above and note the red wire going to the bottom left peg (ign12v) and the black going to the bottom right peg (ground)