March 23, 2019, 05:06:50 PM

Author Topic: Camber/Caster Plate (welding required)  (Read 22284 times)

Offline RX7what

Re: Camber/Caster Plate (welding required)
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2011, 02:15:57 PM »
Justin I need a set of these. Mine are from the very first run and my alignment keeps goin out of wack.
PER AUDACIA AD ASTRA
95 FD #496/499 LS2   http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=4789.0

Norotors is far and away the best car forum on the Internet, bar none.

Offline Cryptic

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2012, 04:27:04 PM »
We have the have circle washers available now.

Is your intention for these for the bolt side as well as the nut side.  Technically there are 8 plates.  The pic shows with the nut side (D hole side). It would be nice to get the bolt side too so there is more thread available for the nut.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:44:59 PM by Cryptic »
1995 427 LS3 Burnout Widebody FD
My build thread
2011 Ford F250 CCSB 6.7L

Offline Cryptic

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2012, 10:42:34 PM »
Bueller?

...well I guess I will answer my own question with my solution:

I drilled out a hole to match the size of the mazda camber bolt circle, then tig welded together.

Then I wire wheeled, primed, and hit it with a coat of enamel to hopefully keep it from rusting.

This buys you a little more thread for the nut. I don't know about everyone else but I didn't have a full length of a nut worth of thread on 2 of the 4 bolts (cant remember if it was front or rear).

My build thread
2011 Ford F250 CCSB 6.7L

Offline carl0s

• Supporting Member
  • Staged
  • NVH obsessive
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2012, 08:23:31 AM »
Good work.

I'd be much happier if it just used the stock parts in the first place though!
--
Carl
LS2 FD

Offline radiomike

• Supporting Member
  • Staged
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2012, 08:57:21 PM »
Good work.

I concur, however the later type bolts have a short splined section which is a very tight fit in the Samberg camber plates, do the early bolts not have this feature?  AFAIK there is no need to weld at the bolt head end.

Offline Cryptic

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2012, 10:38:41 PM »
Good work.

I concur, however the later type bolts have a short splined section which is a very tight fit in the Samberg camber plates, do the early bolts not have this feature?  AFAIK there is no need to weld at the bolt head end.

I have a stripped D hole that would prove otherwise.  It's better to distribute that torque applied when adjusting the caster/camber.
My build thread
2011 Ford F250 CCSB 6.7L

Offline radiomike

• Supporting Member
  • Staged
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2012, 08:27:14 AM »
 :confused: There is no D hole at the bolt head end, the larger Samberg supplied cams are a tight fit on the splined section of the bolt after pressing off the original small cams.

The moon shaped cams are intended for the later bolts at the nut end where the D shape has been replaced with an 8 shape.

Offline Cryptic

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2012, 10:28:52 AM »
:confused: There is no D hole at the bolt head end, the larger Samberg supplied cams are a tight fit on the splined section of the bolt after pressing off the original small cams.

The moon shaped cams are intended for the later bolts at the nut end where the D shape has been replaced with an 8 shape.

I completely misunderstood what you where saying. I get it now. There is a newer style that has a "cup" to fit over the stock cam bolt. That's a nifty idea. I haven't seen a pic of that posted anywhere on here yet.

To answer your question, yes the earlier cam plates did NOT have anything to secure them to the cam bolt.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 06:12:29 PM by Cryptic »
My build thread
2011 Ford F250 CCSB 6.7L

Offline Gunnytron

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2012, 05:54:01 AM »
I am a little puzzled by these. Are they a requirement or is it simply to offer more accurate adjustments?
http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=12880.0
FD, LS1 running 220 3.90 Trickflow heads, Comp Ultra-gold Arc 1.72 Rockers, 7.550 BTR Pushrods, BTR Stage II NA Cam 227/234 .614"/.576" 113+2, ARP Head Bolts, BTR Platinum Springs, Ported FAST 90, NW 90mm TB, FAST 60lb Injectors, Textralia Clutch/Flywheel, T56, Cobra 3.55 Diff, Holley HP EFI, Racelogic TC.

Offline carl0s

• Supporting Member
  • Staged
  • NVH obsessive
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2012, 05:53:01 PM »
I am a little puzzled by these. Are they a requirement or is it simply to offer more accurate adjustments?

A "feature" of the Samberg subframe is that it doesn't use the factory sized camber adjustment plates, but rather larger ones that come with the kit, to allow a greater degree of camber adjustment. It's a nightmare though.
--
Carl
LS2 FD

Offline mdpalmer

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2012, 02:31:09 AM »
These look nice. I think it would be great to get a few more threads on the nut. I just recently had a problem threading the nut on the FWD side of the control arms, since there was not a whole lot bolt thread sticking out... if you're not careful, it's very easy to cross thread. Which I ended up doing.

My bolts are old and the threads are not the easiest to engage, I should have taken care of that beforehand. The other thing that is important to realize is the contact surface between the backside of the camber plate and the subframe itself must be able to develop enough friction to not slip when the nut is torqued up. Reason I say this is that if you have dirt, paint chips, crap, gunk, etc. in that contact area, it will contribute to a slippery joint. Ask me how I know. I put my car back on the ground and the wheels camber in. This is with a half ass torqued up cross threaded nut, however.

Justin, one question about the new plates: you just weld them on the outside part of the cam plate right? If you have any bumps whatsoever on the side that contacts the subframe... that could be a problem which is related to having crap stuck in the contact surface between the camber plate and subframe making it more likely to slip. You could machine it flat I suppose...

We have the have circle washers available now.

Mike
1993 SSM FD3S LS1 Rx-7 :o SOLD  :'(
My Build Thread
YouTube Vids

Offline 4packet

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2012, 05:24:44 AM »
Slipping camber bolts is tedious. I've had this 3 times on the Supra. One instance rinsed a brand new pair of back tyres in 6 weeks. Had massive toe in which actually made it more stable. I have always attributed this to old bolts with rusty threads that take more torque than new bolts for a given clamping load. You are always at the mercy of the alignment shop and itís difficult to hold the settings steady on the screen while torqueing the bolts up sufficiently tight.

Here is our solution btw

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline MPbdy

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2012, 10:44:54 AM »
You could put locktite under the flat of the washer.  There is a nice big surface area to glue to.

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2012, 01:05:19 PM »
You could put locktite under the flat of the washer.  There is a nice big surface area to glue to.

I don't think that's how locktite works ;)

Lane

They have Loctite for that.  ;)
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2013 Focus ST3 - Stage 1 BPU