January 20, 2021, 07:16:46 AM

Poll

would you use the ECD-100 in your swap build?

Yes, this will save me time and effort
1 (20%)
Yes, other
0 (0%)
No, I want after-market gauges anyway
1 (20%)
No, I'll modify the cluster manually
2 (40%)
No, not in the budget
0 (0%)
No, other
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: May 16, 2014, 04:17:12 PM

Author Topic: FC and FB guys: Keep your stock speedometer (Poll added 2/5/14)  (Read 2018 times)

Offline TTM

FC and FB guys: Keep your stock speedometer (Poll added 2/5/14)
« on: December 25, 2013, 05:10:57 PM »
  Hey guys anyone with an FB or FC planning to install an electronically controlled GM or Ford engine/transmission combo really ought to consider the new Dakota Digital Electronic Cable Drive (ECD-100) for your speedometer needs.  It uses the electronic pulse signal from modern transmissions as a reference for controling an electronic motor which spins your original speedometer.  I'm sure this could save someone a lot of time and hassle, not to mention keeping stock dash/cluster components intact.

Any questions call us or respond to this thread

http://tracktimemotorsports.com/store/dakota-digital-gauges-instruments/12589-dakota-digital-electrontic-cable-drive-100.html

$284.95
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 03:32:19 PM by TTM »
TrackTimeMotorsports.com | sales@TrackTimeMotorsports.com
Performance Parts & Track Days | 651-203-8009

Offline TTM

Re: FC and FB guys: Keep your stock speedometer
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 03:29:40 PM »
I really think this would be a sweet piece for a guy who wants to EASILY keep his stock speedo and run a modern transmission.  We didn't get much response from you guys on it though, so I'm just going to ask for your thoughts, ideas or feed-back.

It would be fun to hear if you would be a yay or a nay on using this for your build (even if you aren't doing a swap right now).

Offline theantirotor

Re: FC and FB guys: Keep your stock speedometer (Poll added 2/5/14)
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 05:18:43 PM »
There was a similar device called an Abbot Cable-X box that people used to use.  People noted it worked *ok* but you had to keep the cable straight, still had to modify the back of the speedometer because the kit did not have the right cable end, and did not always display speed smoothly.

The new solution for the FC world is to use an Acura Integra speedometer behind the FC speedometer face.  It is relatively easy, considerably cheaper, and does not require mounting the box and routing the cable.

If this new box can overcome some of the issues with the older one it might sell to some people?
:bacon:

Offline frijolee

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 05:54:24 PM »
I presently run the Abbot Cable-X which appears to be the same thing (receives trans signal and electric motor drives the cable accordingly).  The box is pretty big but unfortunately yours doesn't appear to be any smaller.  If you want this to sell at what's basically a premium price point for a particular application I would suggest that you need to identify a good location and make sure the length and interfaces of the cable are correct.   Then do that for each and every intended car.

The only downside of my Cable-X that has me considering redo-ing this is the fact that it has noticeable lag.  Most of our cars are fast enough that this lag is pretty obviously when you're hard on it.  Best guess, top of an on ramp is typically at least 15 mph slow and it takes 1/2 second to catch up.  Same thing when you're hard on the brakes but trying to pay attention to corner entry speeds.  Prove the Dakato box solves that and we at least have a reason to buy your box instead of Abbot's.

Unfortunately the Acura Integra modified electric speedo seems to be a better solution for more FC folks and that's what I plan to do.  Cheaper, lighter, intended to be digital, relatively easy with write-ups online.  If you're trying to compete with that, convenience is the only way to do it and a universal box may not get you there, hence my suggest about needing to solve the problem of exact lengths of cable, where does it go, etc.

Thought about writing this when I first saw the post, but didn't want to crap up your thread.  Since you asked for feedback though, that's the logic and recommendation on what can be done to make it a stronger offering.
LS2 stroker FC, Mandeville big brakes, widebody, etc
Build thread:  http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1274.0
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline TTM

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 05:07:40 PM »
Thanks for the feed-back guys.  I'll start looking into those issues.  I have a feeling that this Dakota Digital unit is going to come out thumbs up where the Abbot unit fell short.  The ECD-100 got runner-up for best new product (performance/street) at SEMA this year, that's a pretty strong endorsement.