October 22, 2019, 03:18:38 PM

Author Topic: Autox + road course FD LS1 swap  (Read 36114 times)

Offline markfluko

Re: Autox + road course FD LS1 swap
« Reply #195 on: January 04, 2016, 12:07:56 PM »
Did you get it wet and it spread like a Gremlin?

Yes, sprayed it and 2 more popped out, bringing a new meaning to rinse and repeat.

I've got an LS6 and an LS2 now which will be going in both of the new Gremlins... And like I mentioned previously, hopefully I can find an LS3 for my caged car.

Offline largeorangefont

• Top Fuel
  • I steer with the gas pedal.
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 04, 2016, 12:20:08 PM »
Did you get it wet and it spread like a Gremlin?

Yes, sprayed it and 2 more popped out, bringing a new meaning to rinse and repeat.

I've got an LS6 and an LS2 now which will be going in both of the new Gremlins... And like I mentioned previously, hopefully I can find an LS3 for my caged car.

Excellent!

Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.

Offline Classy

« Reply #197 on: January 04, 2016, 03:09:33 PM »
I am jealous, if you ever need someone in Houston to take care of one of the gremlins, I will take care of it for awhile, while pooring water on it by the gallon

Offline JumboShrimp

« Reply #198 on: September 18, 2016, 09:10:52 AM »
Hopefully this thread is not too old to post to - didn't want to start ANOTHER fuel line thread.  I like what you did here (PAGE 1)  and and going to copy most of it. (I also like the pix of your driveway with 3 FD's)

I've read ALL the Corvette FPR posts and there seems to be several 'right ways'  to do this.  I'm in PA and emission testing is not a concern (yet).
Some of the installs are dead simple, some pretty sophisticated (I guess because of emissions). 
My question is, What do you do with the 3rd nipple coming out of the tank?  The one that connects to the separator / check valves / charcoal can?
I would think that you could connect it to one of the check valves to let air into the tank as fuel is used but not let fumes (a common issue) out at rest.  Make sense?  Safe?
I won't be using the OEM filter (or mount - too much work) or the Charcoal can.  I have aftermarket rails on my LS6 intake and not sure if I can use the evap circuit at the engine so I'll be running only one hard line to the front.  It will change to Braided / AN there.  Will use high pressure rubber in the back.
Also, not sure if the Stock FD fuel pump will keep up with the LS injectors - some say it works, others say no way.
Don't want to drop the tank but will if I absolutely have to.  Hard to get to the separator with out dropping it.
If reviving this old thread is a No-No then let me know and I'll start over.  I'm a NOOB.
Thanks for any comments.
JS

Offline markfluko

« Reply #199 on: September 18, 2016, 05:30:03 PM »
No problem from me reviving the thread :) I haven't updated in awhile even though I have updates... I will when I get some time.

You may be more interested in my thread here http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=13519.msg201932#msg201932

I left mine the way it is but removed the charcoal canister. You can remove all of it and run a long hose with a filter on the end if you want... Vented cap is another option http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=12121.0

I think there is another thread that has some good info about "gas smell in garage" but I can't find it right now.

Dropping the FD tank is super easy. Remove exhaust, disconnect feed/return line, disconnect the gas filler neck from chassis+ground, jack with 2x4 or something supporting the whole tank, unbolt the bolts holding the straps, lower gas tank. If you are engine swapping it should be a piece of cake. A new pump is good insurance and isn't that expensive IMO. Can get a supra TT pump or walbro 255 if you are on a budget.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 05:47:18 PM by markfluko »

Offline Tictakman

« Reply #200 on: September 18, 2016, 07:52:17 PM »
No reason to drop the tank for a fuel pump change... Just access it from the left trunk area, there is an access panel.  What are the future plans for your build? A lot of people do a walbro in tank pump and use a vette fuel press reg/fuel filter so they dont have to run an actual fpr.

Z

Offline JumboShrimp

« Reply #201 on: September 20, 2016, 03:45:29 PM »
Guys, Thanks for the replies.  What I'm talking about is shown in the first pic in THIS thread...
http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=23339.msg299865#msg299865
 The thing that looks like a Human Organ on top of the tank, How do I eliminate it?  Or do I NEED to?  There is a nipple from the tank that feeds it (Vapor?) - do I just cap it?    I think the top line that runs across the tank goes to the filter (which I am eliminating with the FPR).  Can I just let it there and use the check valves to stop fumes?
My problem is that in simplifying the fuel system, it seems that I am complicating it (story of my life).  Maybe guys get fuel smell because they mess with this thing (seperator?) and screw up the way the check valves work.  Seems to be no way to get to it without dropping the tank - If I can just re-route lines and keep it intact then, good.  Still have to deal with the 3rd fitting on the tank somehow or I'l be stinky or unsafe.
Some of the diagrams I've seen just gut the system - 1 line out, 1 line in - SUPER SIMPLE -  but never mention this thing or the 3rd fitting.
As far as the actual pump - I may just get the Supra (popular) and drop it in and call it a day - I would hate to have the OEM pump be under powered on engine-start-day.

Offline Tictakman

« Reply #202 on: September 20, 2016, 07:59:30 PM »
I left all the extra lines..trying to reduce the emission smells.  Here is my setup; I'm running two in tank pumps that are y'd together in the tank... then I have a -8an barb feeding the fuel rail which is y'd to each rail.  Then I have a -6 from each rail going to a fpr, then from the fpr I have a single -6 going back to the tank.

Offline JumboShrimp

« Reply #203 on: September 21, 2016, 01:26:12 PM »
I left all the extra lines..trying to reduce the emission smells.  Here is my setup; I'm running two in tank pumps that are y'd together in the tank... then I have a -8an barb feeding the fuel rail which is y'd to each rail.  Then I have a -6 from each rail going to a fpr, then from the fpr I have a single -6 going back to the tank.

I agree with letting as much there as I can - and for the same reasons.  I'll make it happen.
Your set-up is interesting.  I haven't researched your car here but it must be a monster - twin pumps!?  Why do you have the FPR on the 'other' side of the rails (unless I misunderstood the layout)?  wouldn't you want the constant 58 PSI going in? 
Regardless, I DO want to keep it as simple as possible but might just swap out the pump now instead of getting a big surprise later.
Thanks for all the help!!

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #204 on: September 21, 2016, 05:37:49 PM »
The FPR acts as a variable restriction, maintaining a constant pressure by allowing excess fuel to return to the tank.
Putting it after the fuel rails allows constant fuel to circulate through the rails, keeping them cooler and also helping to equalize fuel temperature at each injector.

The only reason the OEM's don't do this anymore is it raises the fuel temp in the tank, increasing evaporative emissions.
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline JumboShrimp

« Reply #205 on: September 21, 2016, 07:55:39 PM »
The FPR acts as a variable restriction, maintaining a constant pressure by allowing excess fuel to return to the tank.
Putting it after the fuel rails allows constant fuel to circulate through the rails, keeping them cooler and also helping to equalize fuel temperature at each injector.

The only reason the OEM's don't do this anymore is it raises the fuel temp in the tank, increasing evaporative emissions.

Interesting!
Thanks for sharing that.
Like I said prior - Old School Hot Rodder - Gimme a pair of 750's on a Tunnel Ram any day of the week. 
I gotta a lot to learn - luv'n every minute of it!!

Offline largeorangefont

• Top Fuel
  • I steer with the gas pedal.
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 21, 2016, 10:26:51 PM »

Also running the vette filter/ regulator at the back of the car keeps you from needing a surge tank, as the regulator will burp out any bubbles that are picked up from fuel slosh. This is huge if you track your car. You just need to have enough overhead in your fuel pump to run this "deadhead" setup, and insulate your fuel lines so you do not have vapor lock issues.
Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.