June 06, 2020, 03:41:18 AM

Author Topic: V8 FD3S Oil Cooler kit!  (Read 7809 times)

Offline ls3_rob

Re: V8 FD3S Oil Cooler kit!
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 10:20:02 AM »
damn only if I lived in California

Hurry up people I need this
07 tl type s daily
93 rx7 ls3

Offline rx7ls3

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 11:51:23 PM »
lol I need this too!

Offline thekanezzi

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 10:09:46 AM »
email sent

Offline fdrx7

• Pre-Staging
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 09:51:10 PM »
Is this setup available yet? Thanks

Offline SBGarage

• Pre-Staging
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • SakeBomb Garage
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2015, 03:44:32 PM »
Is this setup available yet? Thanks

We're in the final stages; we have one running on a V8 shop car and we're trying to get it finished as quickly as possible because there's been a lot of interest in it.

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2016, 03:02:15 PM »
Heath sent me the parts and I am finalizing the hose routing and lengths. 
I should have it finished up this weekend and get the info back to Heath next week, so they can finally get the kit to market.   :yay:

I will say their brackets and fittings are very nice, and you can't beat the Setrab coolers.  I run those on my race car, and if they survive there they'll last forever on a street/track car.  8)
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline SBGarage

• Pre-Staging
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • SakeBomb Garage
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2016, 02:44:33 PM »
I should have it finished up this weekend and get the info back to Heath next week, so they can finally get the kit to market.   :yay:

I will say their brackets and fittings are very nice, and you can't beat the Setrab coolers.  I run those on my race car, and if they survive there they'll last forever on a street/track car.  8)

Sounds awesome, we're ready to finish this up and start producing them!

Offline wongjonsilver

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2020, 03:38:04 AM »
Hello knowledgeable people of NoRotors and/or SBG!  Is there a thread for this product that succinctly describes the different options that are available? What are the quantitative gains, if any, between the performance h-e core/competition core? Recommendations between the 180/200 deg T-stats for an F-body series LS1 (circa '00)? Intuitively, I would think that an 180deg T-stat would be preferable so that circulation would enter the oil cooler earlier in the working temperature range.  Is there any reason why 200 deg would be better in this application? I wasn't able to find definitive information, hence the questions.

I'm interested in a 25row oil cooler to make my car more robust for upcoming trackdays, and this is one of the key reliability mods that are on the list. It looks like the kit being sold on the SBG website states that additional hardware is required for the install? (Improved Racing LS Sandwich Plate w/ Thermostat + 2 x -10 output (p/n: EGM-112)? )
http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-cooler-adapters/low-profile-oil-cooler-thermostat-for-ls-engines-p-209.html

Sounds awesome, we're ready to finish this up and start producing them!

Offline jwvand02

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2020, 12:45:03 PM »
Hello knowledgeable people of NoRotors and/or SBG!  Is there a thread for this product that succinctly describes the different options that are available? What are the quantitative gains, if any, between the performance h-e core/competition core? Recommendations between the 180/200 deg T-stats for an F-body series LS1 (circa '00)? Intuitively, I would think that an 180deg T-stat would be preferable so that circulation would enter the oil cooler earlier in the working temperature range.  Is there any reason why 200 deg would be better in this application? I wasn't able to find definitive information, hence the questions.

I'm interested in a 25row oil cooler to make my car more robust for upcoming trackdays, and this is one of the key reliability mods that are on the list. It looks like the kit being sold on the SBG website states that additional hardware is required for the install? (Improved Racing LS Sandwich Plate w/ Thermostat + 2 x -10 output (p/n: EGM-112)? )
http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-cooler-adapters/low-profile-oil-cooler-thermostat-for-ls-engines-p-209.html

I think you'd know if you want a 200 degree thermostat. Heavier weight oils take longer to get up to temp, so if you were having issues with the oil cooling off too much between runs and taking too long to get to temp you could go to a hotter thermostat. I'd stick with 180 for now.

I'm not sure what your question is about the sandwich plate. You have to tap into the oiling system somehow and the IR part is by far the best readily available option but there are tons of choices.

Offline wongjonsilver

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2020, 02:56:18 PM »
Gotcha. Understood about the thermostat range now. My 7 never came with an oil cooler when I purchased it used, and I haven't had a vehicle with one either, hence the dumb questions. I wasn't aware of all the options for the adapters and guess I wanted to clarify, if anyone had a recommendation for this SBG kit or if that was the best route. Anyway, thank you for the advice.

Offline jwvand02

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2020, 03:53:04 PM »
Gotcha. Understood about the thermostat range now. My 7 never came with an oil cooler when I purchased it used, and I haven't had a vehicle with one either, hence the dumb questions. I wasn't aware of all the options for the adapters and guess I wanted to clarify, if anyone had a recommendation for this SBG kit or if that was the best route. Anyway, thank you for the advice.
Yup - all of the Improved Racing stuff is great. If you're tracking the car you should buy their trap door oil pan baffle and pickup tube brace while you're in there.

I think SBG is probably dead on when they say that their kit costs about as much as you could buy the components without the mounts. AN fittings add up fast.  I have an FC so I had to fab my own mounts and ended up just making all the hoses and stuff myself. This kit ends up being almost exactly what I built.

Offline wongjonsilver

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2020, 05:00:55 PM »
Right on. Luckily, my FD actually came with an Improved Racing oil pan baffle.

Offline wompa164

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2020, 06:38:51 PM »
I just purchased this kit and have the following feedback:
  • I would spend the extra money and go with the Setrab core. I haven't heard of Kraken but I've heard only high praise for the Setrab units in motorsports applications
  • As far as the SBG product page, the 180 vs 200* option is irrelevant because the kit doesn't come with an adapter. You will need to purchase the Improved Racing adapter and -8AN ORB fittings separately. I had some trouble decided on the right value as well, I went with the 212* option on the Improved adapter because during my research, some people cited concerns with quicker-opening thermostats and moisture collecting in the oil as 180/200 are both below the boiling point of water. I honestly don't know if this is a legitimate concern as there shouldn't be a high degree of water content present but I would love to hear other peoples thoughts.
  • The supplied instructions are only for the rotary application, so you'll be figuring it out on your own. I've spent an hour or two playing with the lines and can't figure out a good way to make the 90* fitting reach on the cooler side with the supplied hardware. It would be far better with 120* fittings on both ends (cooler side), but either a banjo or 90* AN might do the trick.
  • The included brackets are very nice. There is no vibration isolation so I'm worried about the health of the cooler long-term but we'll see.

I've emailed SBG a few times now with questions (both pre and post-sale) but have yet to receive any meaningful answers so buyer beware I suppose. I'll update this thread if/when I hear back from them and what my final solution ended up being.

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2020, 08:11:01 PM »
Wompa164:  Are you sure you got the correct kit from SBG?
I did their first install, and determined fittings and hose lengths and routing, and sent them the info for their install instructions.

Here are a few pics from my install.

I used a 120 deg fittings on the hose from the adapter out to the cooler, and 90 deg fittings on the hose from the cooler back to the adapter, along with a Banjo fitting at the cooler end.
I already had the 90 deg fittings in red/blue, and since they aren't readily visible I went ahead and used them.

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2020, 08:14:18 PM »
A few more pics.