January 17, 2019, 10:18:28 PM

Author Topic: The JefeFD - Jordan Innovations' LSA/YSi FD Time Attack Car  (Read 38667 times)

Offline Jordan Innovations

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • Competition Mil-spec wiring/electronics since 2005
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Jordan Innovations
The JefeFD - Jordan Innovations' LSA/YSi FD Time Attack Car
« on: October 02, 2013, 02:10:25 AM »
So, I had a bit of a picture thread going last year, but we're going to put up an actual build thread over the next couple weeks. 

Edit: Might as well start somewhere.  This'll cover the last couple years, this years updates start in the next posts.

In 2008-2009, I built a really fun RB25 S14 street car, that was pretty close to what Formula D cars at that time were like.  It just needed paint/body and the interior back in to be a really cool car (in my opinion) - great powertrain, great suspension setup, super aggressive looks, and unbelievably fun to drive.  Crashed it on my way to work one day, was car 4 or so in a 6-car, fast-lane pileup.

I'm not an idiot though (debatable by some, I'm sure haha) so I had it insured for what it was actually worth... that helped a lot in finding a replacement - 1994 Touring with a partially completed LS1/LS6 swap, from MS.  This car started as my street car, back in 2010.  A pretty shitty drift car in mostly stock form, so I started looking at other fun stuff.

I finished the swap, put my old Bersaglios on it, and a Shine Burnout kit.  Pretty rowdy for the street, lots of fun looks and questions about what it is, etc.

So Time Attack in the US was something the magazines came up with so people with fancy looking cars would actually take them out and race them, and I started helping some of the fastest guys around (Factor X Motorsports, FXMD).  I realized the FD chassis with a LS can still be a Modified car (in Redline Time Attack, Limited class in Global Time Attack), and with a little aero, would be the fastest thing in the class. 

Fast forward to 2011 - I came into possession of a BRS body kit, and was in love with the possibilites (and the fact that it'd actually fit some of the sexy wheels I have).  I put it on the car as soon as I got home.

... see what I did there?

Donlyson Auto Concepts did the fitment and paint, Francis over there has been doing show cars for forever - I took it to him because I know they know how to make stuff fit that doesn't fit... except the quality of the BRS kit was pretty amazing.  Single, thick woven-mat, great reinforced tabs, I mean you can really tell that this is a pricey kit compared to the cheap China stuff we usually sell lol.

That's also the day we started mapping out the changes that'll make the aero all functional.  More on that later.  Paint is a BASF Alpina White (I asked for the brightest white without being blue) with TONS and tons of silver flake in it.  I love it - this was 5/2011.

... then the car sat for a while - we'd just expanded, and work started piling up.  In November I started taking it apart some more to see how much metal I wanted to cut out of it, and see what I could get the weight down to.  Did some planning, not much else.

... annnd stopped for a bit.  Picked back up in 3/2012 to try and make the Global Time Attack season opener.  Made a bash bar from 1.5x.120" since that's what I had (will get redone in 1.5" aluminum some day) that fit the (many) contours of the bumper

Made a supporting tube structure with 1.75" tube.  The main lateral frame rail support is moved down (and also houses the sway bar tube), the forward supports are at a 8* angle to the horizontal and have M8 shear pins with 7" of total travel - in double-shear it'll take a 2g+ impact on the sides to pop one, 4g+ full frontal impact to pop 'em both.  Should be able to keep everything straight in a low-speed bump, but the pins and angles will help to absorb some impact if I stuff it at high speed.

Here was our powerplant - LS6, milled and lightly ported heads, TSP Torquer V3 with their springs/retainers/pushrods, LS7 lifters, fancy fuel system and oil system, stock ECU/HP Tuners.  TR6060 trans, ACT twin plate clutch, Hinson 1 7/8" headers, not much exhaust behind that.  Anthony and I made that strut tower bar in like an hour, so custom!

Put my old CNC Brakes hydraulic ebrake in there, or the 'fun lever' as some people call it

Oh, and we did an awesome cage in it.  1.75x.095 chromoly, sits on the frame behind the driver, fits WAY into the b-pillars (185* total bends), leans back for head clearance to attach at the rear of the roof (6* or 7* back), and unbelievably light.  This was from my first gas-station fillup on that setup.

I drove it like this last summer for a while

... and then the fun ended.  Had a vibration in the back that didn't seem to be getting worse, but couldn't quite figure out what it was.  We didn't do a lot of high speed driving, but one night on the freeway I was getting some really great 4th gear data and the vibration got quite a bit worse, then as I started to slow down, heard a huge bang and thought the diff came apart or something.  Get the car stopped and everything looked good, and once I got a look at it, found this

Transmission toast, engine block toast, clutch needed to be looked at (ended up using parts of it), and was going to miss SEMA and Super Lap Battle 2012.  Reason was the driveshaft didn't have a centering pilot, so even though the bolts all lined up, it didn't stay centered.  Got worse and worse, then bent the tail shaft enough for one of the bolts to make contact, and bang.

This was the driveshaft they came and spec'd out for me - the shop literally came out to my shop, looked at the output flange, came back a day later with a flange that they bolted up, and made a shaft.  We were under a time crunch and they've done tons of stuff for us before, but wow what a burn.

So while I regrouped, the car sat at my house in the garage.  Sad times!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 04:58:40 PM by Jordan Innovations »

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Jordan Innovations
Re: The JefeFD - Jordan Innovations' LSA/YSi FD Time Attack Car
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 02:10:39 AM »
      Here's where we'll break down goals and specs.  This isn't a PR thing so I'm not going to shout out all the sponsors and all, but Greg Landes @ Millennium Motorsports is the only reason this engine is getting done (and hopefully will survive for years).

For starters, the basics on the chassis:
  • 1994 Touring, originally Chaste White, still has sunroof
  • Hinson swap kit (still, lol)
  • Jordan Innovations/AMB Aero/BRS Autodesign widebody kit - "functional" is the best description for now
  • AMB Aero splitter design, AMB Aero-designed APR dual-element wing
  • Ohlins R&T's, revalved by Ohlins for stiffer springs
  • Jordan Innovations tube swaybar setup
  • Jordan Innovations 4pt cage - 1.75x.095" Chromoly
  • Bladdered fuel cell, Jordan Innovations surge tank

Powertrain - everything is either "off-the-shelf" or stocked by us.  No custom shit was a build goal that we're pretty damned close to
  • LSA-based engine for the oil squirters and billet mains
  • 416ci, 10.25:1 SCR 4.070" JE FSR pistons, Callies Ultra Billet 6.125" rods, Callies Magnum 4.00" crank
  • SDPC CNC'd LSA heads, stock LSA valves, semi-custom .660" spring setup, chambers opened up by Rich @ WCCH to 75cc
  • Comp short-travel race lifters
  • Comp billet dual-roller timing set and super cool front cover
  • Comp 237/246 .622/.615 115+3 boost-lovin' cam
  • ARP everything - head studs, main studs, accessory bolts, etc
  • Jordan Innovations custom teflon crank scraper and windage tray
  • Improved Racing pan and baffle (we had our own, but Michael's is better!)
  • Holley fancy-pants chrome covers
  • ACT twin plate, HD pressure plate and 6-puck discs
  • Fuelab Prodigy 1900hp Fuel Pump with speed control, Fuelab FPR to control it.  Bosch 044 to feed the surge tank.
  • ID2000's
  • Stock LS3 intake mani and Vmax ported throttle body
  • Jordan Innovations LSx-swap Supercharger Kit - Vortech V7 YSi with cog drive, overdriven to bring all the boys to the yard, 1800+CFM vert-flow IC core, still waiting on the Accufab wiggins clamps
  • Turbosmart 60mm wastegate, Turbosmart Big Bubba BOV
  • RPM Level VI+ TR6060, Gforce billet main shaft, all the goodies, cryotreated and micropolished
  • Driveshaft Shop Aluminum CV-joint driveshaft
  • Ronin Speedworks Explorer 8.8 diff kit with Ronin axles, Ford Racing 2-way clutch diff

Electronics
  • Jordan Innovations Mil-spec engine and chassis harnesses, duh
  • AEM Infinity EMS, dual widebands, boost control solenoid, sensors, etc - some REALLY cool shit coming from this
  • Flexfuel sensor - boost, timing, and fuel curves controllable for the whole map anywhere between full gas and full ethanol
  • Racelogic TC (as well as the AEM's DBW TC, we'll play with both)
  • Fuelab FPR controls fuel pump speed, awesome for a street-driven car like this

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff, will keep this updated for reference.

Racing on Hankook Z221's, drives around town on R888's.  Running full bore on E85 but will still be a beast on pump gas (ability to lower boost is awesome).  Expecting our first quad-digit whp dyno run this Saturday 10/5, Shift-S3ctor Airstip Attack on Sunday morning lol.

Oh, and the whole engine build is being documented on video by Drifting.com.  That should be cool.[/list][/list]
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 02:34:43 AM by Jordan Innovations »

Offline Russell Walker

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 02:31:23 AM »
Heres where I demand a stock replacement chassis harness for my FC because god what was mazda thinking.

Offline BeasTT

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • Twinz for teh winz
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 09:03:50 AM »
That escalated quickly.
Nick Shultz

1993 Rx-7
371ci, Twin Billet 6265's, Twin A2W's, ProEFI 128, RacePak IQ3,
McLeod RXT, Speedfab 8.8 solid axle, QA1s, FIC 2150cc, Magnafuel 4303

Offline mefarri

• Ye Olde OCD Woodshop
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 09:59:20 AM »
Agreed.  All of a sudden you're going to dyno it.  :)  List looks like it's full of serious stuff.
"I'm not sure what your intent was because I don't speak "dumbshit", but next time, start your own thread. "

-Jimlab

"Otherwise it looks like something I can build over a weekend, if I spent the first day watching TV."

-Blake motherfucking McBride

Offline Ls1-fd

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 10:17:13 AM »
Cant wait to see it on Saturday. You should run my GTR 1st so we can get some good GoPro video.

Mike
Turbo LS9 RX7

Offline AKINA FC

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 11:27:39 AM »
About time, looking forward to this!  :cheers:
[smg id=6531]

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Jordan Innovations
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 11:40:37 AM »
Haha thanks guys.  Mike, we'll be dyno'ing Saturday so I won't be up there until Sunday AM  :(

Offline Ls1-fd

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 11:46:05 AM »
Sounds good.

Mike
Turbo LS9 RX7

Offline zbrown

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 12:52:05 PM »
Now we are talking!
8.50/165

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Jordan Innovations
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 11:26:07 PM »
So Alex from Drifting.com came down to meet me at Millennium Motorsports (our machine shop) in Temecula this morning at a ridiculous 5am so we could get the machine work finished before the phone started ringing/etc.  Needless to say, it's 8pm, and we're still here.  Good news is, I had great friends driving all over LA to pick up the remaining parts and bring them here, so we have our heads back from West Coast Cylinder Heads and the blower kit from Vortech... everything machined out perfectly, just putting pieces together.

That's a 4" piston for size reference lol

Offline Ls1-fd

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 12:16:02 AM »
Motor is not even together and you are going to have it running this Sunday?  Love it
Turbo LS9 RX7

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Jordan Innovations
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 12:33:05 AM »
Motor is not even together and you are going to have it running this Sunday?  Love it

Last parts just out of the washer haha.  I always have customer work filling up the shop, so my own stuff gets pushed to the side.  If we make it and run well, we'll have quite the story at least :)

Offline Apex Chase

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Apex Motorsports
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 08:47:49 PM »
Really excited to see this come together and glad that we could contribute to it. Can't wait to see it at SEMA.

Offline Bigblockquad

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 11:26:45 PM »
I call dibs on the second run.  I'll be down in the 441ci M3
94 RX7 LS7, Racelogic TC (565hp/505tq)
07 Superformance GT40 Dart alloy 427 (548hp/561tq) 2290 lbs...
06 Lexus IS350
04 Chevy 2500HD Diesel, lifted on 20x35's
95 BMW M3 440ci LS7/ T56