December 13, 2018, 01:02:13 AM

Author Topic: FD Explorer 8.8 Diff Kit  (Read 79669 times)

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
Re: Announcing FD Explorer 8.8 Diff Kit
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »
That design can't pull the washers through like other designs have.   The support is in the direction of load.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2013 Focus ST3 - Stage 1 BPU

Offline frijolee

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2013, 03:01:01 PM »
Thanks guys.  Mazda had the diff stub axles aligned ~1/2" forward of the hubs.  We're basically attempting to mimic the position of the OEM diff as closely as we can.  We talked about pros/cons of the sandwich style rear mount and decided that it was more important to maintain geometry and use of the OEM rear bushing than minor downsides associated with requiring users to remove the cover once.  We don't think we have cause for leak concern as you'll basically just butter up both sides of the sandwich with high temp gasket maker.  The welding that occurs on this piece is far enough outboard that deformation should not be an issue.

This also may give folks greater flexibility if they want to run different aftermarket covers.  It'll drive us to a bigger box for shipping so that might change but that's about it for obvious downsides that we can tell. 

Question for the forum...  Since we don't have any welding required should we powdercoat these for folks?

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 03:11:44 PM by frijolee »
LS2 stroker FC, Mandeville big brakes, widebody, etc
Build thread:  http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1274.0
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline wickedrx7

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2013, 03:19:20 PM »
Powder coat!

1993 Touring, 2012 L99, T-56, Ronnin 8.8, Ohlins, Speedhut, Samberg and lots of custom parts
Build Thread - http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19354.0
Pictures - www.flikr.com/wickedrx7

Offline Gunnytron

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2013, 04:58:40 PM »
Could this be used with a Cobra diff with some sort of spacers?
http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=12880.0
FD, LS1 running 220 3.90 Trickflow heads, Comp Ultra-gold Arc 1.72 Rockers, 7.550 BTR Pushrods, BTR Stage II NA Cam 227/234 .614"/.576" 113+2, ARP Head Bolts, BTR Platinum Springs, Ported FAST 90, NW 90mm TB, FAST 60lb Injectors, Textralia Clutch/Flywheel, T56, Cobra 3.55 Diff, Holley HP EFI, Racelogic TC.

Offline V8-rx7

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2013, 08:58:57 PM »
The front mounts use a different spread. But you could buy a case for pretty cheap. Just swap the internals over.
86 RX7 Under reconstruction Twin Turbo LS1/T56 8.8 IRS  
93 RX7 MB Touring Stock Rotary with some bolt ons

Offline frijolee

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2013, 09:02:12 PM »
Could this be used with a Cobra diff with some sort of spacers?

Rear mounting should be fine (albeit you'll need to cut the cobra cover or get a new one).  Front mount might be challenging.  It might not be terrible, but I know the spacing of the front mounts is different so spacers won't be trivial either.  I seem to recall that the halfshaft splines at the tripod bearing were different between Cobra and Explorer but if you have some Cobra bits handy we can verify that since I know what the Explorer is.

Short version: anything can be made to work with enough fab, just depends if you want to undertake it. 
My advice: sell your Cobra parts at a profit and then run Explorer. 
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline orion4096

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2013, 09:59:28 PM »
Definitely interested.  4.10 gears are too short for me - the ratios on the 8.8 are way more reasonable.  Is this going to be like the FC kit and the only part of the halfshaft included is the axle bar itself?  Or is it everything except the outer, Mazda CV?  I wasn't clear about that after reading the first post.

There are a few diffs for sale on ebay, but nothing I saw with halfshafts.  Seems like buying local is going to be cheaper.

Is the driveshaft for the FD diff longer than the one needed for the 8.8?  Might be cheaper/faster to have a local place weld on a new flange to mate with the 8.8.

Offline mefarri

• Ye Olde OCD Woodshop
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2013, 11:33:34 PM »
That design can't pull the washers through like other designs have.   The support is in the direction of load.

That's what I thought.  Just needed confirmation.   :)

And this sounds great.  How is there no welding required?
"I'm not sure what your intent was because I don't speak "dumbshit", but next time, start your own thread. "

-Jimlab

"Otherwise it looks like something I can build over a weekend, if I spent the first day watching TV."

-Blake motherfucking McBride

Offline frijolee

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2013, 03:34:49 AM »
And this sounds great.  How is there no welding required?

It attaches with bolts to factory holes, hence no welding.   :secret:   

Note, these are welded parts, but all welding is done before it gets to you (unlike our FC kit where you have to weld a piece or pieces to the subframe).
www.roninspeedworks.com

Offline mefarri

• Ye Olde OCD Woodshop
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2013, 01:23:35 PM »
Ahhhhh there it is. Makes sense now. You could try partnering with Jose on in musing power flex bushings in with the whole thing. Just a thought.
"I'm not sure what your intent was because I don't speak "dumbshit", but next time, start your own thread. "

-Jimlab

"Otherwise it looks like something I can build over a weekend, if I spent the first day watching TV."

Offline Jordan Innovations

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • Competition Mil-spec wiring/electronics since 2005
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Jordan Innovations
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2013, 07:33:40 PM »
^^^ You mean Juan @ J-auto? 

... you racist!  :yay:

Offline spacevomit

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2013, 07:43:29 PM »
All Latino names are the same?

eso es racista!

Offline osburn383

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2013, 09:25:40 PM »
Very nice looking forward to this.

Offline mefarri

• Ye Olde OCD Woodshop
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2013, 10:34:38 PM »
Haha. Yes.

-Jimlab

Offline osburn383

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2013, 10:14:50 AM »
Powder coating them would sweet.

Will the drive-shaft need to be longer or shorter?