January 16, 2021, 12:41:07 AM

Author Topic: AEM Infinity Standalones are finally here for LSx apps!  (Read 12335 times)

Offline Sabre002

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Mazda Motorsports
Re: AEM Infinity Standalones are finally here for LSx apps!
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 07:28:12 PM »
oh I get all the fancy stuff hey can do.  But the new OE ECM's are pretty good these days and have some of these same features.  As for nitrous control there are many ways to do the same stuff for less money.  I'm just trying to get the cost over options it seems crazy in this case.  Boost I could see it with boost cause the bikes used the hell out of boost by gear in the drag racing here.  so many race cars here are on LS1B ECM still.  I guess I"m just not into big money ECM/harness for a LSX.  I do want to do a AEM setup for my buddy's SR with a VCT head.  This I get cause the stock stuff sucks and you cant tune shit unless its like a old power FC. 
Josh
Technical Development, Mazda Motorsports
For info on how to join Mazda Motorsports Team Support Program Email me.
Jsmit295@mazdausa.com

Offline Bean4g63

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2013, 10:39:39 AM »
holy shit am I the only one that thinks your nuts to spend that kind of money to control a LSX anything?

I think its nuts to put a bunch of money into a car, make big power, and then have a burnout machine.   :D  Don't get me wrong, burnouts are fun, but not the entire way down the track.  There is nothing like properly setup traction control on a good ECU. The Honda guys are cutting 1.50 sixty foots and running 8.6's on 24.5" tires.  Boost by gear and traction control are what is making that possible.   Also, the fail safe features on these standalones when properly setup can save your motor if it goes lean, loses oil pressure, etc.   If that saves your motor once then that standalone has paid for itself.  The problem with most standalone ECU's is that they are only as good as the person behind the keyboard.  If your tuner doesn't know what he is doing then it doesn't matter what engine management you have, you car is going to run like shit.  The new Infinity box is badass as is the Pro EFI, Motec, etc.  You can't go wrong with any of them.  Just pick one your tuner is familiar/comfortable with. 

Offline zbrown

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2013, 11:02:59 AM »
oh I get all the fancy stuff hey can do.  But the new OE ECM's are pretty good these days and have some of these same features.  As for nitrous control there are many ways to do the same stuff for less money.  I'm just trying to get the cost over options it seems crazy in this case.  Boost I could see it with boost cause the bikes used the hell out of boost by gear in the drag racing here.  so many race cars here are on LS1B ECM still.  I guess I"m just not into big money ECM/harness for a LSX.  I do want to do a AEM setup for my buddy's SR with a VCT head.  This I get cause the stock stuff sucks and you cant tune shit unless its like a old power FC.

I feel the same
8.50/165

Offline Demon

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2013, 12:00:48 PM »

I feel the same

Your setup is a perfect example of a stock style setup working and not really needing aftermarket stuff.  But, if you did not have that AMS1000, you could argue that any of these aftermarket ECU's would be much better than the stock setup based on the boost control alone.
'93 RX7 (co-project with macnewma)
'95 Supra Turbo Billet GT42-76

Offline twokrx7

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2013, 02:40:39 PM »
holy shit am I the only one that thinks your nuts to spend that kind of money to control a LSX anything?

I think its nuts to put a bunch of money into a car, make big power, and then have a burnout machine.   :D  Don't get me wrong, burnouts are fun, but not the entire way down the track.  There is nothing like properly setup traction control on a good ECU. The Honda guys are cutting 1.50 sixty foots and running 8.6's on 24.5" tires.  Boost by gear and traction control are what is making that possible.   Also, the fail safe features on these standalones when properly setup can save your motor if it goes lean, loses oil pressure, etc.   If that saves your motor once then that standalone has paid for itself.  The problem with most standalone ECU's is that they are only as good as the person behind the keyboard.  If your tuner doesn't know what he is doing then it doesn't matter what engine management you have, you car is going to run like shit.  The new Infinity box is badass as is the Pro EFI, Motec, etc.  You can't go wrong with any of them.  Just pick one your tuner is familiar/comfortable with.

Yep, yep, and yep. These are the reasons folks spend $$ for a standalone ECU.

I just got quoted about $4500(includes 8.35% sales tax) for a proEFI and all the good stuff for boost and flex fuel, does not include install or tuning.  Gotta pay alot for all of these features, alot.  This setup will allow the ECU to control boost, traction control, flex fuel, fuel pressure compensation, closed loop AFR under all conditions, speed density so no MAF required, etc, etc.  If I add N2O later I only need to add a nitrous pressure sensor.

My LS1 ECU has never been great controlling idle, proEFI will make that cake.  Looking at Fuelab Prodigy fuel pump to replace my 044, trying to make 650-750rwhp with rear mount turbo on E85 and then spray nitrous when needed.  The proEFI can control the fuel pump speed based on fuel need, another nice feature.  May repurpose my boost-a-pump to control voltage to ECU/coils, constant 14-15volts should mean strong spark relative to the 13-13.5volts put out by my alternator.

As stated above, my tuner will setup the boost and traction control to optimize launch and acceleration, can even thro in nitrous at launch or anywhere else for some extra punch.  With both boost and spray, and flex fuel, and traction control, and and ... having the proEFI or equivalent starts to makes sense, it can control your water inj or water/meth inj as well.  I currently have the stock ecu, a progressive n2o controller, rpm window switch and I run retarded timing all the time to be safe for those moments I want to spray.  Adding boost ontop with the stock ECU is a time bomb, and as E85 blend changes so does my tune's relation to optimum, always watching the wideband when spraying, gets old, real old real quick. 

Haven't pulled the trigger yet, it's alot of money for the added hp but I am guessing the boosted route that always makes the big power will be more fun than a built motor on a huge nitrous shot that only makes the power when spraying.  But when the rear end fails it will be more money to install a 8.8 live axle, when stock bottom end fails more money for built motor, yada yada, maybe I should just sell it when I get it into the 10's on the existing setup?  Did I say it was alot of $$$?
07 Jeep SRT8 426 mid-mount turbo, 1100+awhp
14 OBM Blue CTSV sedan, 680rwhp

Offline Demon

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2013, 04:03:45 PM »
I also just got the fuelab prodigy 42402 fuel pump and plan to have the proefi use PW to drive the pump based on fuel demand.

PS, the proefi has already paid for itself on my supra, and I've only had it for 3 months. I had a walbro connection come loose and was down to only one fuel pump, proefi threw the check engine light and knocked the boost down to waste gate where a single pump can handle that.

That just saved me $4k+ on a windowed block.

Offline twokrx7

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2013, 06:59:23 PM »
Awesome, computing power paying off!

Are you running the prodigy in suction lift configuration, pickup tube coming outa the top of the tank and running to the fuel pump?  I plan to do this in -10 or -12 with an E85 compatible inlet filter(magnafuel E-85 compatible fuel filter that I already have), then the pump, then a new -10 fuelab E85 compatible filter on the discharge of the pump with a built-in check valve, -10 to the rails.

Offline Demon

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2013, 07:26:03 PM »
I haven't done it yet, but I plan to actually mount it in tank with a stainless mesh inlet filter.

Offline zbrown

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2013, 08:28:20 PM »

My LS1 ECU has never been great controlling idle

sounds like you need to learn the system just a hair more

Your setup is a perfect example of a stock style setup working and not really needing aftermarket stuff.  But, if you did not have that AMS1000, you could argue that any of these aftermarket ECU's would be much better than the stock setup based on the boost control alone.

I am poor, i dont think i could ever see myself spending 4k+ on an EMS

i
8.50/165

Offline twokrx7

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2013, 08:58:57 PM »
Yea, since switching from the 6-speed(no problems with 6-speed) to the 2004r I haven't put in the work to get a speed signal to the ECU so it has some issues knowing when I've come to a stop.  Every now and then it goes very lean when just rolling to a stop, my wideband wails at me when it hits the programmed alarm at 17:1 AFR, but one stab of the throttle usually wakes it up, this is not consistent, learning to 2-foot drive which works much better since switchin to the auto brake pedal.  If someone knows a solution I am all ears, not like my tuner is crap, he said if we had a speed signal it would be a non-issue to fix the idle.

I don't like the idea of spending the $$ and may not, we'll see.

Offline BeasTT

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • Twinz for teh winz
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2013, 09:11:30 PM »
Super basic tuning software and an AMS1000 is all you need. Everything else is just bells and whistles.
Nick Shultz

1993 Rx-7
371ci, Twin Billet 6265's, Twin A2W's, ProEFI 128, RacePak IQ3,
McLeod RXT, Speedfab 8.8 solid axle, QA1s, FIC 2150cc, Magnafuel 4303

Offline zbrown

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2013, 09:23:48 PM »
efi is just bells and whistles, should of done blow thru and kept the hallman boost controller

lol
8.50/165

Offline twokrx7

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2013, 09:28:58 PM »
BeasTT, do you mean AEM EMS?  as in your sig  ;)

I'm gonna see what my junk runs with the new torque converter and then make a decision on what direction to go, if this biatch launches better it should be fun.  Tough to spray the car alot on the street and remind myself what 600 at the tire feels like, need to remind meself b4 dropping any more $$.   My Jeep makes 650 at the wheels but its a bit heavy  8)