October 25, 2020, 07:11:22 AM

Author Topic: Low-Profile Thermostatic Oil Cooler Adapter Now Available  (Read 8451 times)

Offline wickedrx7

Re: Low-Profile Thermostatic Oil Cooler Adapter Now Available
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2013, 07:49:39 PM »
Just received my Hinson 1 7/8" long tubes and confirmed that they fit with plenty of room.  The closest spot is the back header tube and it is about 3/8" away.

1993 Touring, 2012 L99, T-56, Ronnin 8.8, Ohlins, Speedhut, Samberg and lots of custom parts
Build Thread - http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19354.0
Pictures - www.flikr.com/wickedrx7

Offline Jordan Innovations

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • Competition Mil-spec wiring/electronics since 2005
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Jordan Innovations
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2013, 10:30:33 PM »
That's awesome that those fit so well with all the major swap headers. 

We're now an Improved Racing distributor, so I'm planning on having a few oil adapters and baffled pans in stock for the West Coast guys who need 'em.

Offline wompa164

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2020, 01:01:00 PM »
Just as an update, I tried fitting this adapter last night with my JTR 1.75 LTs installed. The adapter can squeeze through but the -10AN lines and fittings were actually the pain point. You will have no room to tighten them and trying to get it snaked up with the hoses preinstalled was a headache. Do yourself a favor and take 30 minutes to drop the header and make your life easier.

Can anyone share what fittings they are using on the IN and OUT ports? My SBG kit came with a 90* and a 120* but it seems like it would fit better with two 90* fittings.

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2020, 01:14:45 PM »
Just as an update, I tried fitting this adapter last night with my JTR 1.75 LTs installed. The adapter can squeeze through but the -10AN lines and fittings were actually the pain point. You will have no room to tighten them and trying to get it snaked up with the hoses preinstalled was a headache. Do yourself a favor and take 30 minutes to drop the header and make your life easier.

Can anyone share what fittings they are using on the IN and OUT ports? My SBG kit came with a 90* and a 120* but it seems like it would fit better with two 90* fittings.

Wompa,

I installed the first SBG kit on my car, and worked out what fittings worked best.
IIRC, the reason for the 120 deg fitting on the Improved adapter was that with two 90 deg fittings, there was slight interference between the two fittings when tightening them.  The 120 deg gave a bit more room for the wrench.
It does splay the hoses out a bit as they leave the adapter, but it's not in a visible spot anyway.
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline wompa164

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2020, 02:01:07 PM »
Thanks for the quick feedback. You were using the 120* on the IN port similar to this? It still seems like it would be better with two 90*s, having trouble seeing why it would be more difficult to tighten. Unless you were using the older style Improved Adapter before they changed the angle on the OUT port?

Offline Exidous

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2020, 04:28:37 PM »
I use a 60* on the out and 90* on the in. Never had an issue. Allows the tubes to be a little closer to the block for extra separation from the headers.
94 BB Sleeved gen IV LS7, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and LT's with custom 3.5"single to VAREX muffler.

Offline scuter83

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2020, 04:54:30 PM »
I use a 60* on the out and 90* on the in. Never had an issue. Allows the tubes to be a little closer to the block for extra separation from the headers.

That out looks more like a 120* than a 60*?

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2020, 09:40:06 PM »

That's a 120 on the out, and that is how mine is plumbed.
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline Exidous

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2020, 10:11:24 PM »
Ya, my bad. Don't know why I was thinking the opposite.
94 BB Sleeved gen IV LS7, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and LT's with custom 3.5"single to VAREX muffler.

Offline wompa164

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2020, 11:40:18 AM »
Well after trying them both ways, it's clear that 90* on the IN (which follows Improved's recommendation) and 120* on the OUT is the way to go.

After several days I still haven't received a response from SBG.