January 15, 2021, 11:49:15 PM

Author Topic: AiM MXL Digital Dashes  (Read 5478 times)

Offline Jordan Innovations

• Top Fuel
  • Competition Mil-spec wiring/electronics since 2005
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Jordan Innovations
AiM MXL Digital Dashes
« on: September 17, 2012, 09:18:09 PM »

http://www.jordaninnovations.com/AiM-Sports-MXL-Digital-Dash--Strada-Pista-Pro-2005_p_276.html

The MXL race data acquisition systems are perfect for race cars, performance street cars, street and race motorcycles. Whether you need a digital gauge, display, or racing data system, there is an MXL model for you!

The MXL Pista and Pro models are powerful race data acquisition systems, used by automotive racers around the world. Powerful enough for world class GT cup cars and LeMans racers, yet easy to own and install. The MXL is the racing data aquisition system of choice for amateur and semi-pro SCCA and NASA club racers.

One of the best things about the AiM dashes is their robust CAN and RS232 interface - with just two wires, you can link your dash (logging or not) to your engine management (even many factory ECU's!) for full display/logging/alarms of all the parameters your ECU sees, eliminating the need for duplicate gauge senders and the possibility for different readings.  Virtually a must-have for our AEM EMS, Motec, and GM LS2-and-up customers!

• MXL Strada - Lap and split times, RPM (numerical and bar graph), Gear Position, Odometers, 8 analog sensor inputs (no additional modules to buy, e.g. Racepak), 1 wheel speed input, 128kb memory, blue backlit display, 6 fully-configurable alarm LEDs, 10 fully-configurable shift LEDs. $1085 shipped
  • MXL Pista - all Strada features, plus accelerometer (G-sensor) with track mapping, 8MB memory, USB-downloadable logging to Race Studio software.  $1890 shipped
  • MXL Pro 2005 - all Pista features, plus 2x Autosport connectors, 12 total analog inputs, 4 total wheelspeed inputs, 16MB memory.  $2835 shipped

We have used AiM digital dashes on numerous race cars and performance street cars over the years, and as with everything we recommend and sell, we can help you choose and/or set up your AiM dash specifically for your project. 

Offline ALLslowNOshow

Re: AiM MXL Digital Dashes
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 08:34:16 AM »
WTF, we all just bought Speedhuts.
86 GXL - LQ9/T56

Offline mefarri

• Ye Olde OCD Woodshop
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 10:38:41 AM »
hahahaha
"I'm not sure what your intent was because I don't speak "dumbshit", but next time, start your own thread. "

-Jimlab

"Otherwise it looks like something I can build over a weekend, if I spent the first day watching TV."

-Blake motherfucking McBride

• Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Jordan Innovations
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 06:21:14 PM »
LOL  :yay:

All of us in the office just ROFL'd haha.

The individual gauges are rad if you don't have a LS2+ (Canbus) PCM, or want to keep the "OEM" look, which I think covers most of the crowd here.  The AiM dashes offer logging and g-sensor with track mapping for people who are a little more serious about DAQ.

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 06:50:15 PM »
Is there any way to interface these to a BS3?
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish

• Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Jordan Innovations
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 10:21:36 PM »
Blake, checking into this, I believe they're supported via RS232 because BS3 uses someone else's serial protocol, but I'll know more when I hear back tomorrow.

• Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Jordan Innovations
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 04:15:25 PM »
Is there any way to interface these to a BS3?

Update for the boss man!  I guess BS3 has a special protocol they use for Racepak, which they probably didn't write (they like to do upcharges for stuff, so they probably used a more standard CAN protocol, or used Racepak's CAN protocol).

The AiM guys say that if I could get them the protocol that the BS3 uses, they could load it in a day or two and you'd be good to go.  I don't know anyone at BigStuff, but as a customer maybe you could get some insight from them on whether they'd share ~ the way I'd see it, lots of people like AiM dashes, so if you made your standalone work with them, you'd probably sell more standalones.

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 06:04:27 PM »
Heh, the guys at BS3 are nice, but I'm pretty sure they'd charge me like 10k dollars to make it work with an AiM dash.    They charged me 200 dollars to add the software features the ECU needed to run my engine...   and it was purchased FOR my engine in the first place, haha.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car

Offline mefarri

• Ye Olde OCD Woodshop
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 06:13:22 PM »
Why wouldn't you just get a racepak at that point.  They're basically the same thing.  Especially for what Blake's gonna be using it for.
"I'm not sure what your intent was because I don't speak "dumbshit", but next time, start your own thread. "

-Jimlab

"Otherwise it looks like something I can build over a weekend, if I spent the first day watching TV."

-Blake motherfucking McBride

Offline Speedfab

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 06:58:07 PM »
Why wouldn't you just get a racepak at that point

Sort of a no-brainer.

unless you own a turbo ls9 rx7 you do not know what the fuck you are talking about.

Offline marcus.raw

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 07:06:04 PM »
uh oh....my wallet wont be very pleased
93 ls2 FD :drive:

build thread

• Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Jordan Innovations
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 07:14:27 PM »
Yeah the BS3 is the only system I know of that supports Racepak (if you buy their "Racepak" model) but not AiM - in every other way, AiM is more versatile/robust, whereas Racepak stuff works great as long as you have Racepak everything.

As far as the other dashes out there, we've used Pi/Pectel stuff with good success (with Pectel ECU), as well as the Motec SDL and ADL, which are amazing, but just stupid expensive.

For any of you guys that kart, the MyChron setups are right about $400 and come with senders.

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 07:52:34 PM »
Why wouldn't you just get a racepak at that point.  They're basically the same thing.  Especially for what Blake's gonna be using it for.

Yeah, I have a "Racepak ready" BS3.    I was just curious what other options were out there, the AiM stuff looks pretty nice.
Blake MF'ing McBride