April 25, 2024, 12:05:50 AM

Author Topic: miniature swap  (Read 4208 times)

Offline gc3

miniature swap
« on: December 16, 2011, 05:43:09 PM »
Since its too cold to work outside now i've started my second LS swap inside before finishing the one sitting outside.

started by winning this off ebay

it was listed as brand new unopened, but it was missing some parts inside including the entire rear hatch..... so i got a full refund from the nice ebay guy.

then i picked up a corvette model, and cut apart the transaxle/torque tube setup, and made it a more conventional ls block + trans

firewall/trans tunnel needed some hammering in the form of a soldering iron

obviously custom engine mounts are required

and i had to remove the radiator from the chassis to fit the engine as well...

sadly i couldnt find the correct truck intake/ls1 accessories and im dealing with the ls2 intake+accessories, and since i dont feel like making headers from scratch im dealing with the vette manifolds for the exhuast too.

i havent made any plastic models since i was a kid, but im enjoying it. just wish i was better with a paintbrush (or toothpicks is what im using now)

« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 09:29:03 AM by gc3 »

Offline spacevomit

Re: miniature swap
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 05:49:41 PM »
Painting models with brushes is very difficult. Are you using enamels? You might want to cheat by getting small spray cans of primer and your body color, and just spray it. Painting the body with a brush will be maddening. You can also get a product called Micro-Mesh to smooth out brush strokes and stuff. Looks great so far. What color do you want to make the body?

Offline mattster03

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 06:08:18 PM »
Damn... I can't believe you are ruining the 50/50 weight distribution of that model!
Current Car: 1993 Mazda RX7 Touring, LS1/T56, Stock Stock Stock

1993 Mazda RX7 R1, LS1/T56, EPS 230/238, TSP Ported heads
10.826 @ 128 , 1.53 60' - SOLD

Feature Article - http://www.importmeet.com/blog/2012/03/29/best-of-both-worlds-v8rx7guys-ls1-swapped-1993-mazda-rx-7/
Swap Info - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2801662

1986 Mazda RX7 GXL, LT1/T56 "Retired"
Swap Info - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/641869

Offline gc3

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 07:31:24 PM »
Painting models with brushes is very difficult. Are you using enamels? You might want to cheat by getting small spray cans of primer and your body color, and just spray it. Painting the body with a brush will be maddening. You can also get a product called Micro-Mesh to smooth out brush strokes and stuff. Looks great so far. What color do you want to make the body?

yea, ive been noticing. im making the body a tad faded black just like my car. or gonna try to.
i gotta bondo the roof because the model has a stupid sunroof and the fitment isnt great.
ive been playing with both enamel and acrylic, and i think you're right. ill have to spray to get a smooth finish.

Damn... I can't believe you are ruining the 50/50 weight distribution of that model!
:'(

Offline spacevomit

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 07:46:25 PM »
Just don't put enamel over acrylic, or vice versa (unless you have a layer of Johnson's Future/Klear between them, or something like that (it's floor polish, but it's just clear acrylic - you can also dip clear parts in it)).

Offline dream36realms

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 10:06:25 PM »
I love it!!!! What are your plans for a driveshaft?
日までに仕事および夜までに虐殺。
を下って、人類と

Offline gc3

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 10:14:45 PM »
I love it!!!! What are your plans for a driveshaft?
the plastic trees should be good.
god knows how long itll take if i order one from grannys  ::)

Offline willcoop

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 12:37:06 AM »
Yes! I wanted to do this a year ago but could never find the right models. I like how you are making it realistic with working the trans tunnel.

Offline cool

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 03:09:55 PM »
Very cool.

Offline gc3

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 10:47:44 PM »
havent done much, been busy, but here's some progress

actually using the "stock" dual exhaust split as a y pipe, patting myself on the back for that cleverness

Offline 93silverbullet

• Supporting Member
  • Launching!
  • Faster than a speeding ticket...
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 09:37:54 AM »
You took the soul right out of that sports car!  ;)

Seriously, nice job! What are you looking to put down at the wheels?
Richard.

Offline kartermdb

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 01:16:30 PM »
Tamiya re-released this model a few months ago and I picked up 2 from my local hobbytown.  I also picked up an SS camaro to do the same swap :)