April 19, 2024, 08:40:53 AM

Author Topic: My "Blue Devil" matchbox racer build 2.0  (Read 87951 times)

Offline tai-lun

My "Blue Devil" matchbox racer build 2.0
« on: November 21, 2011, 01:22:52 AM »
So some back story, I've had the car for almost 7 years, and in that time I drove it for just over a year under its own power, registered, and raced it every chance I got. To fill my void of not driving it I went through a S13, BB6, S14, EP3, M Coupe, and a MKIV Supra with a T67.... all failed to trill as much as the FD.

To make building this car that much easier, I'm located on the West Coast of Canada where auto parts are non-existent even for the LS unless you want to pay ridiculous prices (think 10k for a 98 LS1 with 90k miles on it.... right....) registering a car is only a step below California as far as rules and regulations, and being an artist for a living doesn't mean you always have some spare coin heh. BUT, we do what we have to for our passions and don't look back.

The start:

The inspiring beginning, 13b, auto, picture a nice stream of fire where the hood used to be and it had been rear ended... considering, the bay was not in bad shape at this point.

Fixed up interior, installed MT pedals, got it some new skin to go over the beaten body, had the rear arches cut and welded for widebody wheel clearance.

Bough "horrible sponsor" sub-frame from the old forum days... engine went in and was quite crooked like the sub-frames fabricator heh, anyways initial motor install. Did my own oem type of rad setup, short intake setup, and here we can see real C-West sleek lights which are headlight kit 3/5 and then the even worse Evo-R 90mm sleek kit 4/5. Laughs aside, at this point it was just wiring away from firing up.

New location for fuses etc

New suspension to replace lopsided blown shocks

New custom harness work that a friend did for me, I have a 16lb box of wiring that was leftover from what I gave him. Its all tucked and hidden in the chassis for the cleanest bay possible.

Picked up some authentic Mazdaspeed seats for cheap.... yea they are white, don't worry I sell them for more then I paid later :) Also you can see my GTech Pro super gauge on the column.

Bought a hood, car was ready to head off to paint.

While at paint, something beautiful came in the mail, so I had to immediately have it powder coated in red

Annnnnd its in full matchbox racer version 1.0!

Under some sun

Doing what your supposed to do with your FD, racing! - photos are courtesy of "I think I'm a photographer because I have a SLR so I'm going to charge $5 for each photo in high res even if they look a bit like poo" which is why they are in low res with watermarks heh. Car performed like a champ, I had traffic most of the day with EvoX's playing catch up and AMG cars not moving or getting their slow asses off the track. Not bad for a new car and rusty driver, car did show what parts were lacking to hold up to the massive power increase as well as where some parts were form>function, but it was fun.

Specs at this point:
LS2 with f-body accessories and T56 - 0 miles, builder said it was good for at least 450whp, same guy who built Kyle's LS3 that was in his race car
220/550 LS6 type cam
Mild head polish
Scarab clutch - I've never heard of this company but its held up no problem
JTR ceramic coated 1-7/8th longtubes
Y-straight 3" exhaust with HKS Carbon-Ti muffler
TR6 plugs
PTM 92mm TB
Aluminum DS
Samberg mounting parts
Stance GR+ coilovers
Improved racing front strut bar
R-Magic rear strut bar
Work LS-105 18x9-0 w/245/35/18 and 19x10-1 w/275/35/19
Full Origin-Lab kit with 25mm front and 50mm rear fenders and RE rear diffuser
Evo-R "poo" sleek lights

So now its onto Version 2.0 - where almost everything in the above list that failed or was a bit too street/show must go :D

And in case anyone is wondering about the thread title, most of the times I have ever posted or show a pic of the car, people seem to say it looks like a matchbox or toy car... I think its due to the color, fenders and giant wheels. Why "Blue Devil"? well, its fucking loud, pant browning fast as any LS FD owner knows, was popping rather large flames until we got it tuned to be not so rich, and like the Wangan Midnight Devil Z, everyone outside of myself and my wiring/mechanic friend who has ever driven it, had had a nasty spin, rear end snap, sliding into the other lane trying to go straight, or some other bogus claim that something is wrong with the car blaming suspension, tuning, my diff blah blah blah

Just adds to the cars character :D - more to come!  :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 01:28:41 AM by tai-lun »
Tai - 93 LS2 Ronin Widebody FD
Build Thread: https://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=9172.210

Offline tai-lun

Re: My "Blue Devil" matchbox racer build 2.0
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 04:50:10 AM »
^That is all up to about five months or so ago, so now we move onto the parts collecting and installing things that work better.

Brakes and suspension: The oem ones are great with upgraded pads and rotors, but there is a particular R35 at the track that I want to chase down, so I'm going to have to up my game a whole lot as well as my car.

Carbon ducts, Racing Brake front and rear kit with open slot rotors, 929 MC upgrade, RE toe and trailing arms, I've held off installing as I am waiting for a few parts to arrive so new lines can be made and ABS will no longer be in the car.

And finally my prized Quantum coilovers with external resovoirs and Nova 14k springs upgrade - these things are ridiculous light and the build quality is amazing. I want to keep streeting my car so these are about as crazy as I will go with upgrading the suspension. Bryan over at the club hooked these up as well as some of the other more rare parts I've gotten over the years. I've had a bit of road time with these, and so far they are not as stiff as I was expecting :)

Samberg V2 rad - like the subframe, amazing quality like ass his stuff. Seriously, why get anything else heh

Onto sleek headlight kit number 5/5 which are carbon fiber RE-Extreme with Hella lights. Like Amemiya lights, these require some cutting, but that is a small sacrifice for proper light output and quality.

Now when I was getting an alignment, one of the camber bolts snapped. Justin sent me some new ones right away, but as some of you have seen, I had mine cut and welded a bit different so the new plates and the oem plates are one single piece instead of two welded together. Justin I think has a solution for this now but I think these should work just fine.

Replaced those very bright, very white seats, sitting on fixed Atomic Rex mounts

Now to more recent work, interior has been pulled in preparation for the full cage!

The cage will be based off of the RE-Amemiya 2004 street legal track car, and while keeping on theme with proven parts from Amemiya, new front bumper with full carbon under-tray + pro-canards (not pictured), and functional vented carbon hood I found locally.

A proper Carbonetics 2-way for good measure

All buttoned up and ready to be torn apart, last shots of the engine before it gets yanked out

FINALLY!
What could be in the mystery box? One person on here knows, maybe two......

Offline RX7what

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 06:56:15 AM »
What did you do with the old hood? How much were the bride seats? And do they clear the door panels? I have the JDM Racaros but am thinking about going a different direction.
PER AUDACIA AD ASTRA
95 FD #496/499 LS2   http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=4789.0

Norotors is far and away the best car forum on the Internet, bar none.

Offline tai-lun

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 04:12:07 PM »
What did you do with the old hood? How much were the bride seats? And do they clear the door panels? I have the JDM Racaros but am thinking about going a different direction.

Sold the old hood along with the bodykit, headlights, seats, and rear diffuser. The brides I got from a friend so I paid 700 for the pair, they are ViosIII and there is some slight door rub. You can notch your mounts to get them a bit closer to the trans tunnel to clear the doors, but I am just going to leave them as is. I would stay with the OEM Recaros myself. They slide, tilt, clear the doors, and have seat belt clips so as far as I can tell, no real downside to them. The kevlar backs also are pretty sick I think.

Offline tai-lun

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 04:50:55 AM »
*cough*

What was in the box...

Back from some polish next to what was in the other box that came...

BW S475 and the Ti muffer from the HKS 4" race exhaust courtesy of Bryan from RX-7 Boutique :D

I went with polish instead of ceramic coat because I am a huge fan of how the ss will change over time as more and more heat goes through it. The golds and blues around the welds should be a nice contrast to my black engine bay and black motor. The exhaust should also change as the head goes through the titanium, but I don't think it will be as dramatic. Can't wait to hear the rumble through that exhaust!

Offline RX7what

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 05:46:41 AM »
Interesting kit. Who made it? Any pics of it installed?
PER AUDACIA AD ASTRA
95 FD #496/499 LS2   http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=4789.0

Norotors is far and away the best car forum on the Internet, bar none.

Offline mefarri

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 01:38:49 PM »

+1.
"I'm not sure what your intent was because I don't speak "dumbshit", but next time, start your own thread. "

-Jimlab

"Otherwise it looks like something I can build over a weekend, if I spent the first day watching TV."

-Blake motherfucking McBride

Offline ALLslowNOshow

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 01:40:33 PM »
Looks like the kit gnx7 was selling on here a while back.
86 GXL - LQ9/T56

Offline tai-lun

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 02:11:56 PM »

"dark-one" on here made it for "gnx7" - Its the same as the one he has been using on his car. This is the kit that was lost in the mail, then turned up on Ebay for sale to be bought back again by "gnx7" and then he choose to go a different direction with his FD.

You can see it in his FS thread: http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=7412.msg104626#msg104626

I am waiting for a few more parts to arrive so that I can begin to pull all the NA parts off, headers, exhaust, rad, intake etc.

Right now I am trying to figure out a good order to go in as far as install process.

I'm thinking:
- take the car to the welder first
- have the new rad and intercooler mounts made after cutting off the front like "dark-one" did
- pull the motor
- send to paint to have the engine bay and new front bar painted to match
- back to the welder to have the cage installed while installing the fuel, hot side, and oil parts to the motor
- afte cage is done, re-install motor/exhaust/cooling/remains of fuel system/wiring
- back to paint to get the cage and body painted
- to the dyno to tune

If anyone has any ideas of a better process do let me know, I will be posting the new fuel parts that are coming soon and today I will be ordering injectors - Siemens 80lb

I have lots of questions, but I try to do as much research as possible first heh. More to come soon.

Offline Demon

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 04:27:07 PM »
who made the carbon brake ducts? Any pics of them installed?
'93 RX7 (co-project with macnewma)
'95 Supra Turbo Billet GT42-76

Offline tai-lun

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 05:12:41 PM »
who made the carbon brake ducts? Any pics of them installed?

Got them on the group buy over at the club, I have family over the next while, but after they head out I hope to install the RB front and back brake setup along with MC, those ducts and ABS removal.

Offline Brent

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 02:52:43 PM »
Looks awesome Tyler!  Nice choice of front bumpers ;)
Road Atlanta August 2011 NASA TT 1:33

Traqmate's video of my car from the 2011 UTCC at VIR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zcn6...layer_embedded
Video of Yellow LS1 FD at NASA TT at VIR

Offline tai-lun

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 03:10:54 AM »
Looks awesome Tyler!  Nice choice of front bumpers ;)

Thanks man! I also got my pulley in today :) so if a decent manual steering rack ever comes out, I will be using that as the Atomic Rex one I was hoping to get fell through.

Your car has actually been an inspiration for me with mine, though not as competitive as yours I hope to have as serious of a car on the track to play with the exotic guys and show them my tail lights heh. Our cars should look quite alike after I get done with the exterior outside of color and wheels, did you ever put the carbon undertray on your car?

One thing that has been picking in the back of my mind is engine bay heat, with moving the Samberg rad forward with the intercooler like "Mefarri's" car, I think the engine temps should be fine. I have a large Earls oil cooler for the driver side bumper duct to keep those temps down, but the manifold to hood area is a bit concerning. I would rather not hide all the beautiful metal work put into the manifold (hence the polishing work on it) with heat wrap, so I was thinking about Lava Shield mat on the underside of the hood, or gold reflective tape.

If anyone knows a good underside cover for the hood I am all ears, I plan to paint the hood as I'm not a fan of full carbon hoods myeslf but I would rather not watch my paint burn from the heat heh.

Offline Brent

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 10:24:15 AM »
Chip is suppose to be making one.  Based off his other work, I think it'll be a quality piece that will actually be produced near term. 

Thanks!  It's always fun to go out and walk all over the exotics that cost 4-8x what our cars do.  CF undertray is on my car.  Without it, the bumper will start flexing at 100+ and hit the bumper corners will hit the front wheels, also making the aero built into the bumper pretty much useless.  I was pretty amazed how sturdy the undertray made the bumper.  I'm looking at fabricating a splitter that complements the existing protrusion on the front bumper.  That's probably a ways down my current list of things to do.
Road Atlanta August 2011 NASA TT 1:33

Traqmate's video of my car from the 2011 UTCC at VIR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zcn6...layer_embedded
Video of Yellow LS1 FD at NASA TT at VIR

Offline tai-lun

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 05:20:43 PM »
It looks like Atomic Rex has come back from the dead with a EPS rack in the works, will be interesting to see the results and ratio compared to stock.

I hear you on the bumper Brent, when the car is getting modified to mount the rad and intercooler, I will be having my welder build a tube mount and brace for the bumper so it doesn't rely as much on the undertray for stability.

I should mention my goals for the motor setup with this car. I would like to leave as much of the motor in its current state if possible and run the turbo until something goes (hopefully not anytime soon since the thing is pretty much new still and I don't plan to crank up boost) and get around or hopefully better numbers then "dark-one's" 674whp at under 10psi. If the car could make 700+whp then I would be very happy. I am going to approach in a bit of a different way then his build in that I would like to use meth to keep octane levels nice and high with my 94 pump gas, and the a/f on my turbo is 1.10 instead of 1.32 in "dark-one's" car.

On paper 700whp should be quite within the range of what I have but please chime in if you think there is something more I could do for engine stability/response. The car doesn't and wont have AC and soon no PS as well.

I am looking to order:

These 80lb injectors
http://www.fuelinjectorconnection.com/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=199

Clutch
http://www.mcleodracing.com/products/RST+Twin+Disc.mcl

Meth kit
http://www.aemelectronics.com/1-gallon-water-methanol-injection-kit-691

My question for you guys that have boosted on a stock LS2 or know of boosting a stock LS2, can I safely get my numbers and good response without playing with the valvetrain? and are my injector and clutch choices idea for the build, again track/street is where the car lives, not the drag strip or very rare at the strip.

Thanks in advance!