April 26, 2024, 03:45:01 PM

Author Topic: Sho Amo Gtu Build  (Read 46405 times)

Offline Sho Amo

Sho Amo Gtu Build
« on: October 21, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
Edit! I decided to include a lame ass mod list. It will be kept up to date with changes.

1990 Mazda Rx7 GTU

Engine/Trans
2000 Ls1/T56 (Camero z28)
TSP 228r 112lsa
TSP 7.425 hardened push rods
PAC 1518 'beehive' valve springs
Ian's Screemin engine mounts
Ronin trans mount
T2 diff
Summit Turbo mufflers

Suspension
Stance GR+ Coilovers
Racing Beat front sway bar
Mazdatrix adjustable end links
Granny's sway bar spacers
Energy suspension bushings throughout
S4 lower control arms
MMR camber links
Mazdatrix camber bar

Interior/Exterior
MoMo Champion steering wheel
NRG 2.0 carbon quick release hub
Sparco Junior seats
Simpson 4 point harness
Pioneer Avic d3 w/nav
Optima red top

Just small updates for now until I figure out what I want to do for the motor. The car is a '90 GTU with a great body and crappy interior. The Interior is starting to come together, but I am getting fed up with the lack of care the previous owner took while putting this shit together. He decided he didnt like the auto belts so he found some red interior parts to replace them. It also had no radio, and no steering column shroud. The steering wheel was muffed up so I got a new one. Had to custom mount the pioneer avic HU.

Here is the steering wheel setup. Its an NRG 2.0 quick release in black/carbon. The steering wheel is MOMO Champion Perf. leather/suede. Had the MOMO Tuner in my SHO and loved it, but wanted to try something with suede. Im loving this thing.

Forgot to add that I got the windows tinted 15%   I frackin love it.

Here is the Pioneer Avic D3 I custom mounted using the Metra Rx7 kit. Wasnt that hard. This HU is awesome. It has Nav, Touchscreen, custom controlled coloring. Let me match the stock interior colors PERFECT.

I order a bunch of suspension stuff from Mazdatrix and also picked up some turn signal covers because mine were shot. Took out the FTP, thinking ill get some brand new.

If anyone can point me in the direction of a thread that has pics of a DTSS elim install that would help alot. I got the following from Mazdatrix:
DTSS Elim
Full Poly bushing kit
Racing beat F/R Swaybars
Adjustable Swaybar Endlinks
Camber Adjuster

What else should I get for this rear suspension before I put in t2 diff and coilovers?

Redskins colored GTU sticker. It was meant to be :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 11:12:33 PM by Sho Amo »
[Sold] '90 GTU LS1/t56

Offline digitalsolo

Re: Sho Amo Gtu Build
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 09:41:49 PM »
Looks like a pretty nice chassis to start with.  :)
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Gen V LT4/TR6060, upper/lower pullies, headers, tune.
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Stock...ish.

Offline Sho Amo

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 09:19:04 PM »
Tore the rear suspension apart for a minor rebuild. Cleaned up the subframe, seam welded it (just for welding practice), and painted it with silver caliper paint. I kept the stock bushings, toe links, and camber links. Im going to get an extra subframe for the t2 diff install. That one will get mmr goodies that Ive already got on order. I also replaced my rear wheel bearings, rotors, pads, rebuilt one caliper, and installed the dtss elim. The racing beat sway bar I bought for it isnt going to go in. Shoulda done my research first. Ive also got stance coilovers coming in this week to install.

Heres some pics

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 11:56:01 PM by Sho Amo »
[Sold] '90 GTU LS1/t56

Offline N2v8fcs

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 10:53:34 PM »
looks good !
I ditched the auto belt system and shed about 15 lbs.
I went with black S4 parts though  :D
:drive:
new personal best 11.45 @ 120 mph N/A car...9.11 @152 mph for the turbo car.

1987 FC  355 SBC, T-5, T2 rear        retired 5-4-11
1991 FC  383 SBC, sold to Dad. Now 5.3 w 76mm turbo, G-force T-5, 8.8 Ronin rear 
1990 FC  370 CID 6.0 w 88mm turbo, Powerglide, Ronin 8.8 w 3.15 gears

Offline Sho Amo

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 10:20:52 AM »
are s4 and s5 interiors the same? Im a newb to the fc, and ive got a lot to learn.
[Sold] '90 GTU LS1/t56

Offline digitalsolo

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 10:22:29 AM »
Slight differences.  Idiot light cluster and surround are different, and the S5 has the "mouse belts" aka automatic seat belts, so and A and B pillar trim is different.   The radio/HVAC surround, shifter surround and center console are also different, but are interchangeable.  I believe the gauges are also styled a bit differently (round) on the S5.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Gen V LT4/TR6060, upper/lower pullies, headers, tune.
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Stock...ish.

Offline Sho Amo

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 06:09:04 PM »
Finally got the car driveable today. It really isnt hard to rebuild the rear calipers on these cars. I wouldnt mind doing it again if I had to. Next up will be the coilovers, which are waiting for me at the post office, and the front end. I need to figure out what im going to do with the front brakes. Its either the Ronin setup, or awr's 2 piece rotors with hawk pads.

Then its time to start  buying my swap parts :)

Im set on what Im going for now

LQ4
ls1 intake/fuel rails/tb
Undecided on the cam just yet
Poorboy headers
ls6 valvetrain
Improved racing baffle
f body oil pan
ls6 clutch/pp/flywheel
t56
t2 rear/c4 alum driveshaft

Trying to go for a/c and heat.
[Sold] '90 GTU LS1/t56

Offline Sho Amo

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 06:19:47 PM »

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 11:57:03 PM by Sho Amo »
[Sold] '90 GTU LS1/t56

Offline Sho Amo

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 10:09:55 PM »
Now rocking Stance GR+ and in dire need of some wheels!
Next order of business is the front end. I need to do the front brakes, sway bar, end links, wheel bearings, etc.

Heres a shot from tonight after getting historic tags for it :)

So I bought a cam kit for it. TSP 228R 112lsa PAC 1518 beehive springs and 7.425 hardened pushrods NIB for 500 shipped :)
C4 vette driveshaft for 130 shipped

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 11:58:11 PM by Sho Amo »
[Sold] '90 GTU LS1/t56

Offline theantirotor

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 10:25:26 PM »
Interesting.  I hadn't seen a car with 4 piston front brakes and non vented rear brakes before.  Did the previous owner start into an upgrade and not finish or was that a stock option for the car?

Car is looking good so far.
:bacon:

Offline Sho Amo

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 09:40:55 AM »
I honestly have no clue, im new to this chassis.
[Sold] '90 GTU LS1/t56

Offline clocker

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 10:25:48 AM »
Interesting.  I hadn't seen a car with 4 piston front brakes and non vented rear brakes before.  Did the previous owner start into an upgrade and not finish or was that a stock option for the car?
No, that was not a stock option but I've seen many FCs (my own included) set up this way.
From a performance standpoint- in a street driven car- there is no real point in "upgrading"  the rear brakes...all you get are vented rotors of the same size and identical calipers with a slightly wider body ( to fit the wider rotors).

The only reason I finished the full swap and did the rears was that it seems much more difficult, and expensive, to replace the solid rear rotors.
NAPA for instance, doesn't even show a solid rotor for a 91 NA.

Fortunately, I stumbled across a vert in the junkyard (RXs of any stripe are rare as hens teeth in my local yards) and it gave up the rear brakes for a reasonable price.
There was no noticeable difference in braking- again, on a street car.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 07:00:45 PM by clocker »

Offline Sho Amo

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 01:02:33 PM »
Great! Thanks for the info.
[Sold] '90 GTU LS1/t56

Offline Adrenaline

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 12:03:53 AM »
No, that was not a stock option but I've seen many FCs (my own included) set up this way.
From a performance standpoint- in a street driven car- there is no real point in "upgrading"  the rear brakes...all you get are vented rotors of the same size and identical calipers with a slightly wider body ( to fit the wider rotors).

The only reason I finished the full swap and did the rears was that it seems much more difficult, and expensive, to replace the solid rear rotors.
NAPA for instance, doesn't even show a solid rotor for a 91 NA.

Yeah, wtf i cant find them at work either. (O'riellys)
2017 Colorado Z71 - 2016 Camaro 2SS M6 - 1987 RX7 S4 T2

Offline Sho Amo

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 06:09:27 PM »
Just search for a 90. I got mine from rockauto.com and they were pretty cheap.

I have been driving this thing to and from work the past few days and im feeling some issues with these coilovers in the steering. Im going to have to check it out.
[Sold] '90 GTU LS1/t56