April 24, 2024, 02:42:34 PM

Author Topic: GTO LS2 Wiring Guide  (Read 32030 times)

Offline burtoncr

GTO LS2 Wiring Guide
« on: June 02, 2010, 09:57:26 AM »
Here's my GTO LS2 + T56 (E40 PCM) 1993 FD wiring guide spreadsheet. (please note Mazda changed colors of wires at whim).

[attach=1]

There are 2 worksheets, one describing connectors and one for the hookup.

For my fuel pump I did my own direct to power wiring (also known as the "fuel pump wiring mod" on rx7club). Basically you wire a relay that eliminates the stock resistor and pump control crap and gets the power directly from the battery so you get the full 14 volts while the engine is running. (note: the E40 PCM supplies 12V to the relay to turn on the pump). Here is a schematic of the "fuel pump wiring mod" as I implemented it:

For the cooling fan I didn't want to run my own wiring up to the front so I utilized the stock wiring to get power and signal from the PCM to the relay. I removed the relays on the passenger side tower and then tapped into a few of the remaining wires for power and signal from the PCM. My wiring guide doesn't go into detail on that, but it does have the right wires off the PCM for the cooling fan relay coil signal. (note: the E40 PCM grounds the wire to turn on the fan)

The Tach wiring requires a "pull up" resistor wired in unlike the LS1 wiring. It is described in the wiring guide spreadsheet above, but here is a schematic to further clarify:

I used my guide along with these threads and files (which contain alot of good pics):

Brent_Strong / Dan.Snyder's writeup (Harness hookup with pictures and connector locations):
http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=173.0.html

Granny's instructions:
http://members.tripod.com/~grannys/3LS18.html

X-14 connector:
http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=225.0.html

LS2 Helms manual with electrical connectors:
LS2 Forums - Technical Data for LS2, Helms Information

LS2 GTO Electrical / Wiring diagrams
[attach=2]

Also, unless you get the GTO dash harness with your pullout then you will probably need the blue C1 connector. You can buy them here: EFI Connection

EDIT (11/22/11):

AC wiring and control:
2005+ GM cars (possibly the 04 GTO as well) use both the PCM and BCM for AC control. Since most of the RX7 swaps do not include the BCM we can only use a "manual" AC control (ie not PCM controlled like the Fbody setups). The downsides to "manual" AC control are that you don't get compressor over rev protection, throttle position disable, and idle compensation. LS motors aren't affected much by the added AC compressor load so idle compensation isn't missed. Compressor over rev protection can be created via an RPM window switch set to disable at 4800 RPM and re-enable at 4450 RPM (stock levels according to the EFILive tune file).

I put together a picture of my AC and fan control wiring from memory (I built the car in 07) so please let me know if you see issues.

A word of warning: 93 and 94 AC wiring appears to work differently if I am reading the wiring diagrams correctly. The primary difference is in the positions of the thermo switch and pressure switch in the control lines.

[attachimg=3]

Hopefully its not too confusing. I figure this is better than no LS2 documentation on this site.

- Chris
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 12:48:00 AM by burtoncr »

Offline burtoncr

Re: GTO LS2 Wiring Guide
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 09:58:03 AM »
The 06 GTO uses the E40 PCM, the LS2 Vettes use the E38 (in 06+). I have an 06 GTO LS2 thats why I know. Also, ALL GTO LS2s use the older style reluctor (24x). Everyone always thinks they use the vette one later in 06, but there have been 0 actual reports.

LS1GTO.com Forums - View Single Post - E38 vs E40 PCM?
LS1GTO.com Forums - GTO with 58x reluctor wheel...
LS1GTO.com Forums - View Single Post - GTO with 58x reluctor wheel...

Yup, that is sort of the pinout for the C1 connector, looks like a few names are different. I had a similar worksheet in there, but to reduce complexity I took out all my "research" worksheets. I like looking at the Helms manual I posted better since, well, its Helms and GM contracts them to write manuals.

I have a single speed Volvo fan with a 85 vette radiator. Yes you can use 2 fans just the same way I used one since there are separate control lines (which I noted). You would just need to set up another relay (or 2 in my case cause I paralleled 2 30amp relays to handle the current draw). As for turn on temps, EFIlive forums and HPtuners have good writeups on how to set those. I was able to get mine to turn on at 210 and off at 192 or something like that.

Either way, everything works on my LS2 FD and it has been driving since early November 2007 with this wiring so I trust my spreadsheet.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 03:02:24 PM by digitalsolo »

Offline 93silverbullet

• Supporting Member
  • Launching!
  • Faster than a speeding ticket...
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 02:17:06 PM »
I have also been driving my LS2 powered FD using the wiring instructions from Chris (burtoncr) for over a year now and everything works as advertised.

Thanks Chris for all your help.
Richard.

Offline Troux

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 08:34:58 PM »
FYI, your LS2 GTO electrical diagrams link to your LS2 FD guide. I have the GTO wiring diagrams if you need them.

Offline Donthitme

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 02:38:11 PM »
I was troubleshooting my harness and I found this to be a real time saver.  It's a pinout of all the engine connectors.

http://www.hsv-gts.ls2.com/2005GTOEngineControlConnectors.pdf

Offline fastfalcon94

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 11:26:33 PM »
I used these wiring instructions for my car and it starts and run. I just bought hptuners to go through my engine codes and I think I have a wiring issue. Hopefully someone else has ran into this. The "connector 5" is actually called C101. I'm running 2 brand new denso o2 sensors and getting 2 cels:

P0030 - H02S Heater Control Circuit (Bank 1, Sensor 1)
P0050 - H02s Heater Control Circuit (Bank 2, Sensor 1)

From what I've read online, I'm not getting 12v to my o2 sensors (which I still need to confirm with a multi-meter). Using the spreadsheet though it's implied that the pink wire with blue stripe on connector 5 (C101) should be supplying 12v switched power. I'm not getting continuity from any of the 4 pins on o2 connectors to the pink/blue wire on the pigtail of C101.

When I google c101 it seems like people say the pink/blue wire is for the reverse switch. (http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread.php/823632-Help-indentify-LS2-connectors-please) So now I need t try and figure out where the power wire on an 06 gto 4-pin o2 sensor plug actually runs to and supply 12v. Hopefully somewhere easy to solder a wire to.

For what it's worth the other 2 wires on C101 are dark green and black/red. Neither of these had continuity to the 4 pin 02 sensor plugs either.

Offline fastfalcon94

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 08:58:39 AM »
Researched a little more and I was able to find these pics online:

First one confirms that Red and light green provide power to injectors. Second one confirms that pink with blue stripe is power to reverse lockout solenoid. Looks like the o2 sensors get their voltage from C206 pink wire which is the same one that provides power to the maf. I'll confirm this tonight. At least it's on the same harness extension and should be an easy fix.

Offline fastfalcon94

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 08:16:46 PM »
That fixed the issue for me. The o2 power wires come from the Pink wire that leads to the maf plug. They do not come from the pink/blue striped wire indicated in the spreadsheet attached to the first post. I'm not complaining just trying to help others who come across this in the future. This thread helped me a ton and saved me a lot of time. Here is my wiring page I created that shows all the connector locations. I also edited the spreadsheet with some of my own notes to help others.

http://www.802projects.com/rx7wiring.php

http://www.802projects.com/documents/ls2rx7wiring.xls

Offline driftnfb

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2023, 07:19:00 AM »
Hello guys-- Would Love to update this thread as I'm dealing with issues on my Cam Sensor on my LS2 E40 24X ECU. The Pin-outs on the Factory Service Manual for the C1 and C2 contain Errors. I hope this helps someone in the future as it has for me.

GTO Pinouts as published with corrections noted

C1 Pin 54 Not Used (EVAP Canister Vent Solenoid Control)
C2 Pin 44 (WH/BK) Low Coolant Level Signal (Incorrect! C2 Pin 44 is verified as Cam Position Sensor)
C2 Pin 50 (GN/YE) EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid Control
C2 Pin 54 (WH) EVAP Canister Vent Solenoid Control (Incorrect! C2 Pin 54 is verified as Ignition Coil #1)

here is the discussion

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/1776697-06-gto-ls2-stand-alone-harness-not-matching-gm-schematics-2.html

1994 Mazda RX-7
LS2, T56, Twin Turbo Comp 6061 Air-cooled Madness, Ronin 8.8