April 24, 2024, 08:58:35 PM

Author Topic: My FC NASA racecar build  (Read 38432 times)

Offline kartermdb

My FC NASA racecar build
« on: September 04, 2011, 03:53:59 AM »
I have been on here a while and decided I should make a build thread, so here goes.

Back in March I get a call from a friend, he wants me to go help him pick up a project car to set up for local autocrosses and NASA.  That sunday we picked up an 88 GTU for him.  His car still sits on jackstands in the same condition we brought it home that night because his time is being taken by his lm7/4l80 transplant in his 98 BMW 528i.

After research later that night, I found this site and unfortunately got the bug.  Needless to say I found a base model 2 hours away for $300 as a roller with most of the interior gone or destroyed, but it has a clean title.  This is how she looked when I picked her up:

I am the 4th owner, last time the car was running was 07 when it lost the fuel pump.  So I did a bunch of research and started stripping every little thing off the car that was not necessary.

Luckily my dad has worked in the auto industry for most of his life, and currently works in a shop that specializes in aftermarket suspension conversions and components for quite a few different cars.  So I ordered my rollcage metal through them $2.92/ft for 1.75x.095 DOM

Then I started ordering little random components and started putting the cage together, and stitch welding the body.  Dont worry about the driver door bar, later on I completely rework it.

Petal comparison,  wilwood with 2 masters weighed the same as stock with no masters.

With a seat mounted, I am a little short at 5'9, I decided to make the steering column a few inches longer to put me closer to the wheel

Petals and column in the car for the first time

Then I fab up a dash support and dash panel with easy access to the masters and easily removable switch panel.  The foam was added after my head met with the steering column support.

Ordered a 15 gal fuelsafe fuel cell, almost the exact same dimensions as the stock tank, and fits in the stock location perfectly.

And mounted!!

Went about finishing the cage and driver side door bar

Added a crash bar to protect the fuel cell

Got lucky and found an ECU at a local u-pull for $55, and a t5 out of a mustang for $100

Made a spring loaded window net mount for the top out of scrap metal laying around

My dad bought a plastic mock up block for his model A project, I stole it for the FC and made motor and tranny mounts lol

While waiting for parts and debating on painting the car or not, I decided to compound one corner just to see how it looks, and I decided the car is not getting paint

Before

After

I also painted the surrounds on the rear tail lights

Dropped the rear subframe and cleaned it up, I got a s4 t2 diff from Bowtie7 Thanks again!!!

Since then I have purchased a griffin rad, and its mounted. I also found a z28 air intake at a u-pull, but I have no pictures of that.

I picked up a set of gt wheels, and traded some stuff for another set, and this is how they look on the corner

I bought mustang headers off jegs, $141 shipped, had to rework 1 pipe on each side and they fit pretty good, with no beating in the firewall. 

Rear end is pretty much now, just waiting for coilovers to get here so I can finalize the mounting, strut bar is done.

I will post pics of the front end when I finish the coilover mounts, I am attempting to make it a double A arm setup and get rid of the strut.
I am hoping to have the car finished and running in the next few months, I just need a 5.7 short block or 5.3 long block and I will have almost everything I need to get it up and running.

Thats all for now, I will post more pics of progress as I knock it out.

Offline 93silverbullet

• Supporting Member
  • Launching!
  • Faster than a speeding ticket...
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
Re: My FC NASA racecar build
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 05:49:13 AM »
Looks great! Nice fab skills.
Richard.

Offline bikedad

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 08:44:10 AM »
Very nice!

I like how you compounded the original paint instead of painting. I did that to my sons Olds Trofeo and it came out looking like new as well. He was going to have the car repainted. ;)

Nice fabrication. Wish I knew how to weld better. Maybe I'll focus on learning to weld this winter. 8)

Please keep us updated on the progress. I love watching this kind of stuff.
Don Teifke  :drive:
[smg id=8489]
"Life is tough.,, Life is even tougher if you're stupid."
-----John Wayne-----

Offline largeorangefont

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 10:56:43 AM »
Awesome work so far. This build excites me!
Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.

Offline Brent

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 12:24:15 PM »
Looks awesome Karter!  Can't wait to see more of the project!
Road Atlanta August 2011 NASA TT 1:33

Traqmate's video of my car from the 2011 UTCC at VIR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zcn6...layer_embedded
Video of Yellow LS1 FD at NASA TT at VIR

Offline Bowtie7

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 12:56:55 PM »
Looking great! So glad to have my old rear end see some track time!
I do love what I do!

Offline Ebush

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 01:52:40 PM »
Looks great! Cant wait to see some more progress

Offline Sabre002

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 01:54:57 PM »
Fun another race car.  What region will you be running in?
Josh
Manager Business Development, Mazda Motorsports
For info on how to join the Mazda Motorsports Team Support Program Email me.
Jsmit295@mazdausa.com

Offline N2v8fcs

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 08:09:36 PM »
nice work !
will the T-5 hold up ?
:drive:
new personal best 11.45 @ 120 mph N/A car...9.11 @152 mph for the turbo car.

1987 FC  355 SBC, T-5, T2 rear        retired 5-4-11
1991 FC  383 SBC, sold to Dad. Now 5.3 w 76mm turbo, G-force T-5, 8.8 Ronin rear 
1990 FC  370 CID 6.0 w 88mm turbo, Powerglide, Ronin 8.8 w 3.15 gears

Offline kartermdb

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 08:42:54 PM »
Thanks guys!  I am lucky and have grown up watching my dad build all kinds of stuff, so I guess the fab has rubbed off on me.

nice work !
will the T-5 hold up ?

I am only going to have 310-320 rwhp, they have been known to handle more than that stock with a decent driver in a heavier car.  In all of my racing past I am generally pretty easy on equipment and as long as I dont do anything stupid they should hold up just fine.  But I have 2 WC's with very close ratios so I have a spare.

Fun another race car.  What region will you be running in?

I am just west of Daytona, so I will do probably a run or 2 at homestead, and a few at sebring.  Sebring was a blast when I ran there in 04 in a skip barber car.  I have raced up the east coast in a enduro kart and want to go back to the same tracks in the big car. So I will be going to CMP, VIR, Roebling Road, Summit Point, and I would like to add Road Atlanta to the tracks I have been on.

Offline Brent

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 01:19:44 AM »
I didn't realize you were around Daytona.  You in the Ocala neck of the woods?
Road Atlanta August 2011 NASA TT 1:33

Traqmate's video of my car from the 2011 UTCC at VIR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zcn6...layer_embedded
Video of Yellow LS1 FD at NASA TT at VIR

Offline jparker7

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 10:34:04 AM »
your fabricating skills are very impressive

Offline kartermdb

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 01:31:53 PM »
I am right in between Orlando and Daytona, Ocala is about 1:15-1:30 away from me.

This is the first cage I designed and bent, it was fun to do, but if I was to do it again there are a few things I would change.  I still think it turned out pretty well.

Offline MPbdy

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 01:33:28 PM »
I love how simple it is to get these engines in fcs.

The car is looking great!  Big inspiration for my track day fc.  Not going to take it quite this far as I won't be doing wheel to wheel racing, but I should be close :)

Offline Sho Amo

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 03:10:45 PM »
Beautiful work! I love what you did with the door bars.

I didnt know mustang headers worked? Thats news to me!
[Sold] '90 GTU LS1/t56