July 22, 2018, 04:57:03 AM

Author Topic: LSx FC engine & trans mounting  (Read 20497 times)

Offline frijolee

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
LSx FC engine & trans mounting
« on: August 26, 2011, 07:05:53 PM »
FYI Ronin Speedworks has been in discussions with Pez Performance for a while about having Ronin produce and sell  LSx FC "Pez mounts."

Greg and I had talked through a few different permutations of a possible alliance structure between the companies.  However, given some of the production headaches Greg's been experiencing with the mounts we eventually agreed to have Ronin purchase the intellectual property for the mounts outright.

We're making a few very minor tweaks to the mounting but we should have these back to readily available status within a few weeks.

The bonus that I've hinted to a few times is that Ronin is also making a trans mount which will finally let user route their exhaust under the mount with relative ease (a huge advantage from both an exhaust packaging and maintenance perspective).  We think will be better than any other trans mount option on the market. 

The trans mount has been designed, we've bought all the materials, and we're scheduled to build a first article a week from now.  We're using LargeOrangeFont's car as the test platform as he's relatively local, in the right stage of his project, and has a nice straight chassis for us to use.

Much more info coming soon (and pictures obviously)   Pricing for the full kit is TBD but should should be similar to existing options on the market.  Normally we prefer to announce our projects when we already have first article parts in hand but but I thought you guys might appreciate a heads up sooner rather than later to aid in planning your projects.

Regards,
Joel Payne

(for Ronin Speedworks, LLC)

LS2 stroker FC, Mandeville big brakes, widebody, etc
Build thread:  http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1274.0
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline ALLslowNOshow

• Launching!
    • View Profile
Re: LSx FC engine & trans mounting
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 07:22:52 PM »
Cool beans, so are you guys also gonna be making Pez's C5/6 pedestal replicas?

86 GXL - LQ9/T56

Offline Rogue Status

• In The Bleach Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 10:46:38 PM »
In for engine and trans mounts, let me know when to send funds!

Offline WannaBeFast

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • Single and Looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 01:20:31 AM »
Would this crossmember fit a 200R4?

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 12:28:59 PM »
My 2004r is mounted with the kit from my T56, so I'd expect so.   :)
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2013 Focus ST3 - Stage 1 BPU

Offline frijolee

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 03:32:15 PM »
In for engine and trans mounts, let me know when to send funds!

Thanks, glad to see folks are excited about this.  We're let you know as soon as the first sets are done.

A little update:

The Pez motor mount design has been optomized.  There were no significant changes but we made overhangs of material match on each side and a few other tweaks.  We're just about ready to go out for the water jet order on that.  We will be making replica C5 stand-offs so we can offer folks one-stop-shopping.  However, we're not using Pez's design because A) we haven't heard back on our last few phone calls, and B) because we'll be making some changes there as well.

We also had a good work session a week ago on the tranny mount that will finally allow exhaust routing underneath the mount.  We were hoping to have a first article at the end of that day but we ran across a few changes we wanted to make...   The key finding was that to optomize packaging, strength, and weight, we really wanted to use a bent tubular design (doesn't hurt that we think it's going to be sexy as all hell to boot).  We did get a detailed CAD study put together, nailed down the hardware interfaces, and helped our fabricator buy a wicked tubing bender that's in route to California as we speak...   :D

Question for the forum:
We're using dedicated mount points on each side of the trans tunnel that install inside the vehicle and spread out the load.  We had planned to use a couple extra bolts to located the interior bits and going forward our users would only ever interface with the equipment from below.  However, the more I think about it the more the more I'm tempted to have users simply epoxy the interior pieces in place.  They're only used to locate welded nuts on the inside and the plates effectively sandwich the trans tunnel.  The epoxy should be plenty to keep it from moving and users could always drill their own through bolts if desired.  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 03:43:26 PM by frijolee »
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 04:23:25 PM »
As long as it still allows it to be a one man job, I don't see any issues with epoxy.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2013 Focus ST3 - Stage 1 BPU

Offline andrewb70

• Staged
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 03:41:19 PM »
I see no issue with using epoxy to hold the plate on the inside.

Andrew

Offline frijolee

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 05:37:19 PM »
Thanks for the validation fellas.
www.roninspeedworks.com

Offline AndreS

• Staged
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 01:50:09 AM »

I had a thought for you on the trans mount....  :wave:
Remove the single mount under the tailshaft.  Replace it with a 1/4" thick steel bar(now bolted to the tailshaft directly) that can curve up around the sides of the tailshaft housing if needed.  That bar goes to two small/thin motor mounts from a  late 60's dodge dart v8 (like this one: https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_6021130_0329867337)  These are then hung from a welded angle mount that's bolted(sandwiched) to the tunnel... some bolt holes should be slotted to allow some movement & ease the install.
In the diagram below- the trans is black, green would be another brand trans mount, red this mount idea, orange motor mounts linked above, blue being the tunnel, and light blue the bolts...  everything is relative and obviously not to scale.... but you get the basic idea.

What I'm asking is this: Do we need one mount point or can we do it with two?  Is it required to be under the transmission tailshaft? If something like that is possible, it's out of the way, relatively simple,  and gives more space for exhaust... 
They also have interlocking motor mounts similar to the one listed above, if there's any worry of them failing.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 01:59:55 AM by AndreS »
88 RX7 'SE'- LS1/4L60E, yank SS3600, T2 diff, S5 NA 5 lug swap, KYB struts, etc.... best 1/4: 11.575 @ 117, 1.59 60'.

Offline frijolee

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 06:44:33 AM »
Andre, you're correct that the compliance can be the ends of a mount rather than the tail stock.  The only real challenge to your desing is that the transmission tunnel isn't remotely symmetric and I think you'd find that having any real mount thickness on the driver's side of the trans tunnel wall will eat into exhaust space. 

Honestly, I can't wait to get the first article done done done so we can show pictures.  I'm excited enough about this route that I may end up reworking my entire exhaust just so I can run it.
www.roninspeedworks.com

Offline frijolee

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 10:29:11 AM »
Cool beans, so are you guys also gonna be making Pez's C5/6 pedestal replicas?

Redesign on the vette standoffs is done...  Just need to triple check the final measurements when I get home (I'm writing from a hotel in the Netherlands at the moment).  These took a while to figure out since I haven't played with sheet metal in a while: bending losses on radii etc.  That said, having the side plates cut with some precision will help hold a very tight tolerance on the position of parts. 

Folks can still run OEM c5 standoffs if they prefer but I'm kinda proud of the design on these.

-Joel
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 12:04:46 PM by frijolee »
www.roninspeedworks.com

Offline willcoop

• Staged
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 09:37:54 PM »
Joel those vette stand offs look really nice. Is that solid works, I have never used the sheet metal function but it looks like very useful.

Offline frijolee

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 07:23:45 PM »
Yes, we use quite a bit of Solidworks.  Sheet metal is less intuitive than some of their stuff.  I ended up doing quite a bit of math to validate the bend allowances on the flat pattern but I'm happy with the way it came out.

Here's the final version of the vette standoff, this has now been 100% dimensionally verified.  I also added a bit of curvature for extra header clearance.

We finally went out for a big piece part cutting order we've had in works for a while, both for the above and our version of the Pez mounts, plus restocking tow hooks, diff kits, etc etc etc. 

As to the trans mount, our first article is well under way.   A couple teaser pics follow so folks know we haven't been slacking off...  Here was the "paper doll" dimensional study.

The key finding from the above was that we really wanted to make this a bent tubular structure.

That eventually lead us to make these:

By the way, back to back "s-bends" with no straight in between are hard...  That took quite a bit of figuring out to do right, but it was the only way to get the exhaust clearances we wanted.

Getting close now...
-Joel

www.roninspeedworks.com

Offline ALLslowNOshow

• Launching!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 09:59:24 PM »
You're my hero Joel.
86 GXL - LQ9/T56