April 29, 2024, 11:27:01 PM

Author Topic: Lincoln 8.8 IRS in my vert with custom stub shafts  (Read 3605 times)

Offline mayhamfx

Lincoln 8.8 IRS in my vert with custom stub shafts
« on: May 22, 2010, 09:51:54 PM »
I've decided to start a new thread about my IRS setup for ease of searching and future reference etc. To recap so far.

Here's what I'm ultimately trying to do. If you haven't noticed  from my posts or my build that I'm a cheap bastard and I like to build  my own stuff where I can or adapt off the shelf parts to save money. My  car will be a mild V8 conversion with just a lightly modified 5.3 (mild  cam, longtube headers and a tune). I don't feel I have to go nuts on my  rear end. I am going to use an 8.8 ford IRS in my vert. I'm trying to  come up with a lower cost alternative for people that want better  choice of gear ratios and don't need the super strength and don't want  to spend a lot on the Cobra setup. It will really help if you or you  best friend is a machinist and fabricator too. Oh and yes I'm going to  make my own cradle for myself.

Now I've bought an all aluminum open 28 spline IRS pumpkin form a 96  Lincon Mark Something for $80. Two early 90's Thunderbird Supercoupe  halfshafts for $20 and a posi carrier for $50. Now here's the rub, I  want to use stock halfshafts from a TII or a 929. It seems only the  high HP guys and the serious drag racers are breaking the TII shafts.  They use 30mm shafts compared to the NA 24-26mm shafts.

I've machined the inners down to flat flanges after I had them annealed  (free). Right now my 8.8 measures 13" from flange to flange, making it  2 1/8 inches wider than the NA diff I have now. Ray gave me a  measurement for a 88-91 929 left hand shaft fully compressed of 23.50".  My stock NA shafts measure 24.75 a difference of 1.25" per side for a  total of 2.5", more than enough. I have since bought two axles and they  measured 23 5/8" still enough.

Here's how I made the stub shafts.  I turned two disks  for the flanges out of 6" solid stock. Then I counterbored them to  locate on the CV axles and accept the machined down stubs with  clearance for the dust covers. I weld prepped both pieces. I've transfer punched marks and drilled then countersunk some 10mm flathead sockethead grade 8 bolts in the flange plates. Then I welded them up, full  weld around the outside and in the pockets in the inside. A quick spin  to take the excess weld from the inside and their ready to go off for  re-hardening

90 Vert 5.3 / T-5   Back on the road.
"To save time let's just assume I know everything!"
Powered by Linux the "Other"  OS. www.mepis.org

Offline mayhamfx

Re: Lincoln 8.8 IRS in my vert with custom stub shafts
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 01:44:46 AM »
So here's how the plan goes. My goal is total bolt in, no welding on  the car, I wanted to see if I could do it without and still make it  strong. I'm daily driving this and don't plan any 6000 rpm launches on  drag slicks so I'm not going over the top.

I had a girdle water cut out of 1/4" steel that goes around the entire  cover of the diff. The stock aluminum cover is replaced by steel one, I  used chrome just because it cost $16 for a new one, cheaper than a  wrecker (plus it looks nice). The cover is ground down in places and  sandwiched between the girdle and the diff case. I may add some minor  gussets where the girdle meets the square tube but it's a large cross  section of plate and I don't think it will bend. 2"x2" square tube for  arms with 2 1/2" x 1/4" wall mechanical tubing for the bushing mounts.  The bushing are 2 piece, the lower half (nylotron) slips though the  tube coming flush with the top. Then between the mount and the body a  disk 5/8" thick, I made one set out of UHMW and one set out of hard  rubber, I haven't decided which set to use yet but I'm leaning towards  the rubber.

At the front I was having a hard time with the mounting options, only  two options seemed to present themselves. One extend the diff off the  front from the mounting ears to the stock Mazda pinion mount and put a bushing of some sort there. This option puts a  lot of stress on the ears and creates a long lever which I didn't like.  Option two was create some brackets that hard mount to the stock point  and tie into the link bar at the rear of the crossmember. This looked  better but Andrew pointed out it puts a big twisting force on the  crossmember. Both options would only pick up one side of the diff at  the front and trying to tie both sides together would make a dogs  breakfast and look like crap. So I thought out of the box. The  experience I gained prepping cars for stunts and special effects came to light. Car bodies are really strong where there are more than one layer and where ribs  and bends are close together. One such place is at the rear of the  tunnel where the rear seat seatbelts would mount, if you had them. Part two of the plan is to  sandwich the body with a 2" x 3/8" bent bar below that picks up the two  belt mounting holes and bolts through to a large 1/4 plate that goes over the top of the  tunnel and along the top towards the rear to a third point that I drill  about 4" back almost directly over the diff ears. Here I'll come down  to the ears and add bushings etc. From shit I've done with cars in the  past I feel this will be rock solid and will hold up over the long term  no problem.

Rear mount

Front mount

revised: added stiffeners and capped the hollow tube.

Installed

The issues so far have been minor. After heat treating the stub shafts the bearing races were not up to factory hardness so I machined a shoulder and pressed a new needle bearing race on. JC Krueger copied my mounting system and had some trouble with the front mount bending so I added some stiffeners to it. He also claimed to get some movement in the tunnel under hard launches. Since I have a mild street car I'm not worried about this, I haven't noticed anything on my car after 5000 miles. I had a bit of trouble with venting but it seems to be fixed with a new baffle I made.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 01:46:55 AM by mayhamfx »
90 Vert 5.3 / T-5   Back on the road.
"To save time let's just assume I know everything!"