May 04, 2024, 08:40:50 PM

Author Topic: how to reduce pressure for power steering for fd  (Read 21107 times)

Offline onlysnlft

how to reduce pressure for power steering for fd
« on: February 27, 2011, 10:27:16 PM »
i did a quick search but only found out that i can either reduce the pressure or a spring kit. not sure if this is the answer but the problem im having is that my steering is way to sensitive at high speeds. i know something is off cause i did have a 93 once before and was nowhere like this one. little turns left or right pulls really hard.

almost crashed straight into a ditch once. was turning a corner and took it a little faster than i wanted to so i thought i had no choice but to turn the wheel little more and well sure enough thinking it was just a little extra turn out to be alot at the wheel and crazy understeer, broke lose and skidded foward with the wheels turned. then ofcourse once it gripped it shot me into the direction i was pointed and again and again both ways untill it slowed down enough to stop the craziness. haha even worse than realizing that i suck and didnt know what to do. my gf was in the car. :'( "i meant to do that, i was just trying to scare you alittle". little did she know i had to go home and check my pants. sorry for rambling.  :secret:

if its possible how do you reduce the pressure?
dan 8)

Offline Pez

Re: how to reduce pressure for power steering for fd
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 10:47:25 PM »
Dan's spring mod.  Cut your poppet spring about a coil and a half.
FC/FD plug and play wiring harnesses, LSx swap AC systems, LSx swap power steering lines.

Offline Jordan Innovations

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • Competition Mil-spec wiring/electronics since 2005
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Jordan Innovations
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 11:17:57 PM »
Cutting the spring down is NOT ideal, as it doesn't address the real problem.

Turn One has the adapter that I used, http://www.turnone-steering.com/fittings.html.  Changing the orafice size is the correct way to address the issue.

I called an let Jeff know my car/rack (he's very familiar with LSX FD's) and tire/wheel size, he asked if I wanted "more" or "less" assist (I chose less) and sent me the fitting.  Installed in seconds, and was like $20.

Offline digitalsolo

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 11:31:24 PM »
Turn one definitely knows what's up with these swaps.   Their booth at IMIS Indy had a specific "LS engine in Mazda RX7" display.    Seriously.    :)
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Gen V LT4/TR6060, upper/lower pullies, headers, tune.
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Stock...ish.

Offline Bowtie7

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 08:33:24 PM »
I have used Turn One exclusively on my last 5 builds, some race only, some street only. One word-Perfect. Recommend using Joe Gibbs p/s fluid and add a cooler for road racing. I don't run a cooler on the street per Jeff's telling me that as long as fluid temp is kept below 275 everything is ok.
I do love what I do!

Offline Speedfab

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 11:14:16 PM »
Mod the bracket, mount your factory Mazda PS pump to your new engine.  Done and perfect with no pressure issues, spring cutting, or adapted BS.  I have no idea why more people don't do this.  I did exactly this before I realized I had a pair and could drive a little car like an RX7 with no PS.  Maybe we should make bracket and pulley kits for girly men guys that want PS.

unless you own a turbo ls9 rx7 you do not know what the fuck you are talking about.

Offline Jordan Innovations

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • Competition Mil-spec wiring/electronics since 2005
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Jordan Innovations
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 02:05:04 AM »
Mod the bracket, mount your factory Mazda PS pump to your new engine.  Done and perfect with no pressure issues, spring cutting, or adapted BS.  I have no idea why more people don't do this.  I did exactly this before I realized I had a pair and could drive a little car like an RX7 with no PS.  Maybe we should make bracket and pulley kits for girly men guys that want PS.

Girly men, or people that run real front wheels/tires, not some 17x9 +50 bullshit.

Fatigue on the race track is another fantastic reason to run proper P/s ~ less fatigue makes racing/track days more fun, sucka!

Sidenote: On our LSX drift cars (with R-compound rubber front and back) the power steering fluid gets hot enough to melt the plastic P/s dipstick, even though the runs are only ~90sec long.  True story.

Offline thetastelingers

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 07:13:15 AM »
Cutting the spring down is NOT ideal, as it doesn't address the real problem.

Turn One has the adapter that I used, http://www.turnone-steering.com/fittings.html.  Changing the orafice size is the correct way to address the issue.

I called an let Jeff know my car/rack (he's very familiar with LSX FD's) and tire/wheel size, he asked if I wanted "more" or "less" assist (I chose less) and sent me the fitting.  Installed in seconds, and was like $20.

Link doesn't work man.
I sent them an email.
Thanks
wazzaaaaaaaaaaaapppppp!

Offline mattster03

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 10:57:45 AM »
Another option is to swap on a LS1-GTO pump which has nearly identical pressures as the Mazda unit...
Current Car: 1993 Mazda RX7 Touring, LS1/T56, Stock Stock Stock

1993 Mazda RX7 R1, LS1/T56, EPS 230/238, TSP Ported heads
10.826 @ 128 , 1.53 60' - SOLD

Feature Article - http://www.importmeet.com/blog/2012/03/29/best-of-both-worlds-v8rx7guys-ls1-swapped-1993-mazda-rx-7/
Swap Info - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2801662

1986 Mazda RX7 GXL, LT1/T56 "Retired"
Swap Info - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/641869

Offline largeorangefont

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 11:20:22 AM »

Girly men, or people that run real front wheels/tires, not some 17x9 +50 bullshit.

Fatigue on the race track is another fantastic reason to run proper P/s ~ less fatigue makes racing/track days more fun, sucka!

Sidenote: On our LSX drift cars (with R-compound rubber front and back) the power steering fluid gets hot enough to melt the plastic P/s dipstick, even though the runs are only ~90sec long.  True story.

Thats because they are holding the car on the steering stops most of the time. That kind of heat from that kind of use is to be expected. A more interesting question is if you see a lot of PS failures in drifting because it is a lot of heat for a very short time?

Unless you are doing autoX not having PS is perfectly liveable for track days with R compounds. If I was doing enduro racing with the car I would consider it.
Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.

Offline Speedfab

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 11:28:45 AM »

Your pump needs a max pressure relief valve, it's getting "dead headed" at the end of the rack travel.

unless you own a turbo ls9 rx7 you do not know what the fuck you are talking about.

Offline Speedfab

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 11:30:05 AM »
Thats because they are holding the car on the steering stops most of the time.

Ding ding ding winner^^^

damn, I got treed

Offline Demon

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 11:40:26 AM »
Never knew that about the rack stops, cool.

+1 on the turn one pump + Gibbs fluid, works great in our car.
'93 RX7 (co-project with macnewma)
'95 Supra Turbo Billet GT42-76

GregD

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 01:43:28 PM »

Link doesn't work man.

The period (punctuation) was inside the url tag - try this:

http://www.turnone-steering.com/fittings.html

Offline largeorangefont

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 02:15:18 PM »
Never knew that about the rack stops, cool.

+1 on the turn one pump + Gibbs fluid, works great in our car.

Ever notice how your passenger car's power steering groans when it is at full lock? A drifter is doing that while spinning the engine near redline... so you can see why it builds heat so quickly.
Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.