March 28, 2024, 08:56:30 PM

Author Topic: FC Explorer 8.8 Diff Kit  (Read 324069 times)

Offline MoparX

Re: FC Explorer 8.8 Diff Kit
« Reply #675 on: September 18, 2014, 11:17:36 PM »
Congrats, you won't be disappointed.  I'd recommend using Mazda Comp mounts instead of solids.  The solids are not needed to stop wheel hop.

I am using the trac-lok lsd that came with the carrier, but rebuilt it using the Ford Racing carbon clutches.  No issues on the street or the track.  I've also had great luck using the aftermarket GKN outters, if you want to be able to sell your current diff and axles complete.

A quick note about the driveshaft.  I know that the 2 piece Corvette yoke (same as linked above) is recommended, but a standard 1 piece isn't really a big hassle to install.  I figured this out when I twisted the 2 piece yoke and went with a 1 piece forged unit.  Actually, I think it's a bit easier because you don't have the subframe in the way while trying to install the pinion flange bolts.  You don't have to completely drop the subframe, just drop the front enough to get the driveshaft in.  I leave the shocks attached, unbolt the cross member and torque link, and lower the front down with a jack.  As many times as I'm sure you've had the subframe out, this should be easy peasy.  Plus, you can reuse the yoke you already have.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 11:34:26 PM by MoparX »
Well, it used to be MOPAR powered...............

Offline largeorangefont

« Reply #676 on: September 19, 2014, 12:53:35 AM »
I ordered my kit today.  :cheers:

Getting everything together for the Winter project. Still need to source a carrier and stub shafts.  (just hope the current diff holds out for the next few weeks)

What's everyone using for a clutched LSD? Stay with a rebuilt stock or aftermarket unit?

Excellent!

New Cobra spec Traction Lok clutch LSDs are $219 shipped. The rebuild kit if your carrier came with an LSD is $79 for standard clutches, and $119 for the cobra carbon clutch rebuild kit. The kit to replace all hardware, bearings and seals in the case is $79 shipped. The outer half shaft seals are the only thing that don't come in that kit. They are rarely bad, but you can get them at your Ford dealer.

If you want a Torsen style diff for better traction in corners, the Detroit True Trac is what you want and they are about $450.

Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.

Offline bikedad

« Reply #677 on: September 19, 2014, 08:36:25 AM »
Congrats, you won't be disappointed.  I'd recommend using Mazda Comp mounts instead of solids.  The solids are not needed to stop wheel hop.

I am using the trac-lok lsd that came with the carrier, but rebuilt it using the Ford Racing carbon clutches.  No issues on the street or the track.  I've also had great luck using the aftermarket GKN outters, if you want to be able to sell your current diff and axles complete.

A quick note about the driveshaft.  I know that the 2 piece Corvette yoke (same as linked above) is recommended, but a standard 1 piece isn't really a big hassle to install.  I figured this out when I twisted the 2 piece yoke and went with a 1 piece forged unit.  Actually, I think it's a bit easier because you don't have the subframe in the way while trying to install the pinion flange bolts.  You don't have to completely drop the subframe, just drop the front enough to get the driveshaft in.  I leave the shocks attached, unbolt the cross member and torque link, and lower the front down with a jack.  As many times as I'm sure you've had the subframe out, this should be easy peasy.  Plus, you can reuse the yoke you already have.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Good to know about the yoke and I'll look into the GKN outers. It would be nice to sell my current setup to someone as a whole unit.
"As many times as I'm sure you've had the subframe out, this should be easy peasy." (Understatement of the year.  :D )

Excellent!

New Cobra spec Traction Lok clutch LSDs are $219 shipped. The rebuild kit if your carrier came with an LSD is $79 for standard clutches, and $119 for the cobra carbon clutch rebuild kit. The kit to replace all hardware, bearings and seals in the case is $79 shipped. The outer half shaft seals are the only thing that don't come in that kit. They are rarely bad, but you can get them at your Ford dealer.

If you want a Torsen style diff for better traction in corners, the Detroit True Trac is what you want and they are about $450.

I'm leaning towards the Cobra spec Traction Lok. My car is kind of a universal project. Road course one day drag strip the next.  ;) 
I think I found a place to get the carrier. A friend of mine (Jim Kilpatrick) who helped me build my motor said he has a source. Pretty much specify what I want and this place has it. We'll be rebuilding it no matter what.

Thanks for the info guys.  :cheers:
Don Teifke  :drive:
[smg id=8489]
"Life is tough.,, Life is even tougher if you're stupid."
-----John Wayne-----

Offline Cman

« Reply #678 on: September 19, 2014, 08:44:49 AM »
I got a brand new Ford Racing Trac-Loc from Tousley for $175  :yay: This was 18 mos ago or so, and I picked it up. This is a great mod. On my home road course I went from 10 shifts per lap to 4 and I recently got 27mpg on a road trip. I went with 3.55 gears. A local yard sold me a diff center section and two axles for like $230.

Steve
1986 Fc, LS1 T56
2012 Focus  - Winter beater
2015 Mazda 5 - Wifemobile

Offline MoparX

« Reply #679 on: September 19, 2014, 09:59:09 AM »

Good to know about the yoke and I'll look into the GKN outers. It would be nice to sell my current setup to someone as a whole unit.
"As many times as I'm sure you've had the subframe out, this should be easy peasy." (Understatement of the year.  :D )

The GKN outters are the same that were discussed earlier in this thread.  A member, RX7V8Builder (Ricardo), is who you want to talk to unless Ronin now has the connection to get them. 
Well, it used to be MOPAR powered...............

Offline largeorangefont

« Reply #680 on: September 19, 2014, 11:08:55 PM »
If you are going to buy a new diff and rebuild the entire thing, try to get an explorer carrier with an open diff.. It will probably be cheaper.

Offline theantirotor

« Reply #681 on: September 20, 2014, 12:53:23 AM »
older rwd  929 outers work as well.  that is what i am using in my car and i have beat on them pretty hard with good luck so far.   the 929 stuff is pretty available on car-part.com

the new gkn are probably nice parts but stay away from parts store axles.  the remans are junk and the *new* parts are chinese junk.
:bacon:

Offline lt1fc3s

« Reply #682 on: October 01, 2014, 10:19:44 AM »
Hate to post this but last night I broke the driver side axle at the outer turbo 2 CV. Bolt on lt1 3600 stall 700r4 m/t drag radial et streets. Normal 60' is 1.60-1.68 leaving at 2000rpm. Runs 12.0 at 111. Not making crazy power, any reason why the axle broke?

Offline lt1fc3s

« Reply #683 on: October 01, 2014, 10:23:53 AM »
 :confused:

Offline frijolee

« Reply #684 on: October 01, 2014, 03:20:57 PM »
Bummer,

Good news first, halfshafts do have a lifetime warranty from our supplier, so we'll get you squared away. 

If you don't mind, as with all issues, we prefer to do all investigations into failures offline rather than publicly.   I don't see a reason why it should have failed at this kind of power levels, however, I want to keep all discussions between directly affected parties until we determine a cause of failure.  We'll post findings for the forum once available.

PM sent with a little more info.
-Joel

PS if anyone else ever has any issue with any Ronin part, please reach out to us directly at roninspeedworks@gmail.com.  Doesn't matter if you're the original owner or not.  We'll do what we can for you.
LS2 stroker FC, Mandeville big brakes, widebody, etc
Build thread:  http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1274.0
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline bikedad

« Reply #685 on: October 07, 2014, 04:30:11 PM »
I ordered my kit today.  :cheers:

Getting everything together for the Winter project. Still need to source a carrier and stub shafts.  (just hope the current diff holds out for the next few weeks)

What's everyone using for a clutched LSD? Stay with a rebuilt stock or aftermarket unit?

Excellent!

Do you happen to have the part number I need to order the Cobra spec Traction Lok clutch LSD?
I stopped by a local Ford dealership today. I asked for a price on a  Trac Lok LSD for a 2004 Mustang Cobra. He didn't really seem to understand what I was talking about.
He brought up a screen with the blow-up parts list for the carrier, axles, LSD, etc. I pointed to the LSD and he said that part is $125.
I asked him if it was 28 or 31 spline and he didn't know. I asked if it was the clutched LSD and he didn't know that either.
I can get the 28 spline stub axles for $50 each from the place I got my 2004 Explorer 3.73 Open Diff carrier from.
With my 400hp at the wheels I don't think I need the 31 spline plus I'm not planning on any more power adders.  :scratch:
[smg id=8489]
-----John Wayne-----

Offline largeorangefont

« Reply #686 on: October 07, 2014, 04:38:33 PM »
M-4204-F318C

Don't spend more than $219 for one. You must use a 31 spline differential because the Explorer inner CVs are 31 spline.

http://www.buyfordracingfromdpm.com/products/8.8--TRACTION%252dLOK-LIMITED-SLIP-DIFFERENTIAL-31T.html

Full housing rebuild/gear change kit part number is M-4210-B2 .. $79 here:
http://www.buyfordracingfromdpm.com/8-8-ring-gear-and-pinion-installation-kit/
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 05:04:11 PM by largeorangefont »

Offline bikedad

« Reply #687 on: October 07, 2014, 05:48:52 PM »
M-4204-F318C

Don't spend more than $219 for one. You must use a 31 spline differential because the Explorer inner CVs are 31 spline.

http://www.buyfordracingfromdpm.com/products/8.8--TRACTION%252dLOK-LIMITED-SLIP-DIFFERENTIAL-31T.html

Full housing rebuild/gear change kit part number is M-4210-B2 .. $79 here:
http://www.buyfordracingfromdpm.com/8-8-ring-gear-and-pinion-installation-kit/

Great! Thanks for the info. I'll see if it's the same part number that the Ford parts guy showed me.
I didn't realize the Explorer diff was 31 spline. I thought it was 28. I can buy the axles that came out of the carrier I have for $50 each from the place where I got my carrier.
[smg id=8489]
-----John Wayne-----

Offline bikedad

« Reply #688 on: October 23, 2014, 04:30:36 PM »
Hey Ash,
Is the Explorer pinion flange the same as the Mustang flange?
I guess what I'm asking will the Explorer flange work with my Diff cradle or do I have to get the Mustang flange for clearance?

BTW, I ended up buying a new ring and pinion gear set also. I went with the Ford Racing 3.73 with the Hob process grind.
[smg id=8489]
-----John Wayne-----

Offline largeorangefont

« Reply #689 on: October 23, 2014, 07:41:29 PM »
Don,

You need the small 79-04 Mustang GT flange. The Explorer flange is the larger diameter flange, commonly referred to the "Cobra" flange. Info and part number for the small flange is below. You can see the small flange just fits. I would get the Ford 12 pt driveshaft bolts as well they come in a pack of 4. Part number is N800594-S100

Since you are rebuilding the entire diff at this point you could also put in a solid pinion spacer. It eliminates the crush sleeve for setting bearing preload, and makes the assembly slightly stronger. Ratech makes the kit for $15. Since you are staying with Ford gears, the spacer/ shim stack will be the same thickness as the crush sleeve in your current diff.

3 inch aluminum driveshaft on my car.

Here is the small flange clearance to the FC subframe.

Part number for the small Mustang Flange is E9SZ-4851-A

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 08:03:10 PM by largeorangefont »