May 20, 2024, 03:45:01 AM

Author Topic: Adam's Slow 5.3L JDM FD Swap Thread  (Read 30977 times)

Offline BrownBoy

Adam's Slow 5.3L JDM FD Swap Thread
« on: May 19, 2010, 10:58:40 AM »
Hey everyone! :)

I've been a long-time lurker on this forum and recently joined to get some opinions and start up my sloooow build thread. I'm calling it "slow" for two reasons; the first reason being that my target completion date is going to be the end of May 2011 so I'll definitely be taking my time with this one.  I'm currently in school and I've never built or swapped an engine before so it'll be a great learning experience for me.  I've done basic maintenance to cars myself and I have experience installing parts and replacing things, but nothing quite as intricate as an engine swap.  The second reason why I'm calling this my "slow build" is because I have a lower power goal than most of you guys on here. I'm keeping the engine NA and hope to achieve around 350-ish RWHP.

I haven't worked out the finer details of the build quite yet.  Things like which cam to use, whether I'm going to use the GM ECU or a Standalone EFI system, whether to bore out the engine or not, will be decided after further research of those topics is done.

So, let's get started, here is my FD:

Thanks to Ryan Venzon for the fancy pictures. ;)

I imported the car myself from Japan into Canada in March 2009 and it was completely stock except for a Racing Beat DP/cat-back, Rota Boost wheels and a few other small things.  The car had 88k kms (~55k miles) on it so I changed all fluids, fixed up some small things and upgraded what I thought was necessary.  I knew I was going for the LS swap eventually so I left the motor as it was.

Last week, I was approached with an offer I couldn't refuse for a 5.3L iron block V8 from a 2000 Silverado (LM7) and the 4l60e tranny so I took advantage of that and thus the build begins.

I'm going to to to doccument this build very closely with pictures and I'll also be keeping a strict record of every part/tool/bolt I buy for the car similar to what Joel made on Excel. I'm not trying to make mine any better than his because I'm using his as a guide for what I need to buy myself (thanks man!) but I will be including prices for everything I buy and hopefully this will help future swappers with any approximate pricing questions. :)

That's my intro...So far all I've done is get the engine on the stand and take off the intake manifold and throttle body.  I'm still looking for a T-56 and a bunch more LS1 parts.

I'll be back to update you all with my slow-but-sure progress.

- Adam  8)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 07:30:55 PM by BrownBoy »

Offline BrownBoy

Re: Adam's Slow 5.3L RHD FD Swap Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 10:59:29 AM »
Well its been a while since I've updated this thread...

I did get the intake manifold/fuel rails/injectors all picked out (injectors still on the way):

I'm currently waiting on 10 (yes, ten) packages in the mail but I did get a pretty special one yesterday, who wants to play the guessing game?

A challenger appears...

The seller actually sent me the bellhousing and stock shifter too :)

The T-56 has 14k miles on it and recently had the viper splined output shaft installed.  That's all my excitement for now...more updates to come. :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 07:33:14 PM by BrownBoy »

Offline BrownBoy

Re: Adam's Slow 5.3L RHD FD Swap Thread
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 11:00:13 AM »
Hey guys, it has again been a long while since my last update and that's mostly due to a mix of final exams, work, and a few small trips.  I drove down to Menke's Parcel Service (great for us canucks who live close to the border) yesterday and picked up 11 packages and this is the aftermath:

Looks like I won't be playing ping pong any time soon.  :P  My two favourite parts that were picked up yesterday would definitely have to be the Powerbond pulley and the heads:

...Then there are the parts you sort of wish you didn't have to deal with:

I'm now nearing the end of the "Collecting Parts" stage and I'm slowly getting to the "Assembly" side of things...can't wait! :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 07:35:01 PM by BrownBoy »

Offline BrownBoy

Re: Adam's Slow 5.3L JDM FD Swap Thread
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 06:46:13 PM »
It has been too long since I've updated this thread.  I made another trip down to Menke's yesterday and picked up some more goodies:

Pictured:
- Shine FEED Hood
- Shine FEED Sides
- Shine Re-Amemiya Street Diffuser
- Shine Low Profile Rear Spoiler
- OEM Mazda 99' Spec Front Bumper/Lip
- Work XD9 Wheels (18x10 all around)
- BF Goodrich G-Force T/A KDW Tires (255/35 fronts, 275/35 rears)
- Samberg Mounting Kit and Hinson Aluminum Driveshaft

I only have a handful more parts to buy before I'm all ready for my build. :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 07:35:58 PM by BrownBoy »

Offline overkill-lt1

• Staged
  • your turbo isn't big enough riceboy
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 07:49:55 PM »
looking good so far, shine makes some really cool stuff.  keep us posted  :drive:
In the 10's Bitch, I'am not scared of your honda !

Offline ScottMan

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 08:52:38 AM »
Definitely keep us updated!  I'm excited to see where this is going!  Quality parts and all!
1993 RX7 - GTO LS1

Offline w94rx7tt

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 09:56:23 AM »
Interested to see how this build turns out as I too am going with a 5.3 in my FD.  I am going with a billet 76mm and still in the parts saving process.  Good luck with the build
94 white FD, LM4, Baker Engineering cam, billet 6766, A-spec 4" exhaust, 127lb injectors,  Custom FMIC, Monster stage 5+ clutch, Viper Spec T-56, Cobra 8.8, DSS 1000hp axles, Carbon Driveshaft, Single 25 row oil cooler, FJO wide band.

Offline RX729

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 07:57:37 AM »
Keep us updated...

Offline BrownBoy

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 02:24:59 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement guys!  I'm still waiting on a few more parts to come in (cam, lifters, etc.) but I'll start putting things together in the next few weeks.  The car is still running on rotary power and will be stored away for the winter.  Scheduled to come out first thing May 2011! :)

RicerwannaB

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 10:54:16 PM »
Build looks good so far! I pick up my 5.3L for my FC this upcoming weekend!

Offline therotaryrocket

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 02:51:47 PM »
Your car looks pretty good and of course those parts are pretty too. Are you gonna run into any issues using a T56 with a Viper spline with that driveshaft? or is it custom for that?

What are you studying in school?

GL
1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II powered by a 1994 Camaro LT1 and T56. :)

Offline BrownBoy

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 09:09:27 PM »
Both the output shaft and the slip yoke have 31 splines so I should be alright.  Some people call it "viper spec" even though its not quite but oh well.

I'm in my fourth year of Mechanical Engineering...one more year to go! :)

Offline BrownBoy

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 08:19:23 PM »
I made one of my last trips down to the states to pick up some more packages this past weekend.

Got myself a DIY header kit.  It’s got 1-5/8” primaries that merge into 3” collectors:

Delrin bushing kit:

Expensive bolts:

Brake rotors and pads:

Transmission mount bushing:

And who doesn’t like free swag??

Picked up 18 packages in total. What isn’t pictured are the MGW shifter, hood dampers, oil catch can, some intake piping and filter, Corvette FPR, and a few more small goodies.  I also finally decided on a colour for the car.  I chose Nightfall Blue Metallic which originally came on the Lotus Exige (http://lotuscars.se/type122/nightfallblue.php).  Car goes in for paint at the end of April so as soon as I finish exams, I’ll be working overtime to strip everything out and prep it for paint.

Only a few more weeks till the fun really begins!  :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 07:40:27 PM by BrownBoy »

ttv8rx7

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 09:14:28 PM »
looks like one hell of a start. good luck with the build.

Offline ls3_rob

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 10:30:01 PM »

these look good what are the specs for the front and rear? 18 x10 +? 

and where did you buy them from

thanks rob
07 tl type s daily
93 rx7 ls3