May 06, 2024, 04:47:31 AM

Author Topic: Has anyone broken a 8.8 IRS? We did...  (Read 14450 times)

Offline Demon

Has anyone broken a 8.8 IRS? We did...
« on: January 02, 2011, 09:55:30 PM »
Started pulling the rear end out to freshen it up/check on it after many hard launches this year (30 or so 1.4 60' times)

Found this:

We have a backup rear end, so we'll switch to that and the aluminum hard bushings, instead of the poly bushing that obviously failed and allowed the diff to break.
'93 RX7 (co-project with macnewma)
'95 Supra Turbo Billet GT42-76

Offline Rayminator

Re: Has anyone broken a 8.8 IRS? We did...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 10:11:40 PM »
Interesting breakage.
I would be installing a pinion snubber, or a loop over the top of the housing, anchored at the same mounting points, to keep the ears from flexing.

What makes you think, that solid mounting the ears, would not cause the same damage?

Offline BeasTT

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • Twinz for teh winz
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 10:12:55 PM »
And that's why I run the cast iron housings :D
Nick Shultz

1993 Rx-7
371ci, Twin Billet 6265's, Twin A2W's, ProEFI 128, RacePak IQ3,
McLeod RXT, Speedfab 8.8 solid axle, QA1s, FIC 2150cc, Magnafuel 4303

Offline Demon

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 10:18:52 PM »
The shape of the break is exactly the same shape as the break of the poly bushing that's torn, I think it let it give and twist causing it to break where it doesn't have as much surface against the bushing.

Offline BeasTT

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • Twinz for teh winz
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 10:25:43 PM »
Gotcha. I'll have to keep an eye on mine, but my bushings are red, so hopefully they're better :)
Nick Shultz

1993 Rx-7
371ci, Twin Billet 6265's, Twin A2W's, ProEFI 128, RacePak IQ3,
McLeod RXT, Speedfab 8.8 solid axle, QA1s, FIC 2150cc, Magnafuel 4303

Offline theantirotor

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 10:39:02 PM »
The shape of the break is exactly the same shape as the break of the poly bushing that's torn, I think it let it give and twist causing it to break where it doesn't have as much surface against the bushing.

The ear breaking could have also caused the bushing to get torn away.
:bacon:

Offline ablake211

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 10:43:31 PM »
Iron housing and solid bushings here.

Offline Rayminator

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 10:49:40 PM »
"The ear breaking could have also caused the bushing to get torn away".

I just wrote the same exact thing, but my post did not go through.

Yes, it appears that the break may have sheared the bushing, then bent the washer, when the housing raised up.

Offline Speedfab

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 11:30:58 PM »
It's the way it was mounted.  The support and structure needs to be ABOVE the nose of the diff, not below it.  A couple of washers on top of the bushings won't f$%king cut it.  Cobras with factory engineered subframes 1000 pounds heavier making twice the power of your car don't have that problem... guess why.

Don't blame the diff housing, it isn't at fault.  If you want a subframe that won't cause that to happen, shoot me a PM.

unless you own a turbo ls9 rx7 you do not know what the fuck you are talking about.

Offline largeorangefont

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 11:31:23 PM »
You may want to make a brace that goes across the top of the 2 front diff mounts for extra support.
That broke because of the poly bushings. Use solid bushings and you will be less likely to have that problem again.

These diff housings as a rule never break in Cobras.
I have an empty Mark VIII/ Cobra aluminium center section if you want it. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 12:02:36 AM by largeorangefont »
Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.

Offline mefarri

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 12:30:40 AM »
It's the way it was mounted.  The support and structure needs to be ABOVE the nose of the diff, not below it.  A couple of washers on top of the bushings won't f$%king cut it.  Cobras with factory engineered subframes 1000 pounds heavier making twice the power of your car don't have that problem... guess why.

Don't blame the diff housing, it isn't at fault.  If you want a subframe that won't cause that to happen, shoot me a PM.

So would Justin's mount be the right way?
"I'm not sure what your intent was because I don't speak "dumbshit", but next time, start your own thread. "

-Jimlab

"Otherwise it looks like something I can build over a weekend, if I spent the first day watching TV."

-Blake motherfucking McBride

Offline digitalsolo

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 12:37:59 AM »
That's a negative ghostrider.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Gen V LT4/TR6060, upper/lower pullies, headers, tune.
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Stock...ish.

Offline Demon

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 10:30:45 AM »

I knew you were good at flipping things over :).

I may get in contact with you, thanks!

Offline theantirotor

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 10:31:44 AM »
get back to work!
:bacon:

Offline DeaconBlue

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 11:20:56 AM »

Very good point.  Take a look at a photo of a 2003-04 Cobra rear setup out of the car, like here;

http://www.mpsautosalvage.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2812

Most of the nose weight of the unit maybe carried by the lower mounting bracket, but the twisting motion is controlled by both the lower  and upper brackets, which work in tandum to brace the differential case and share in resisting the twisting motion, during both on and off throttle (acceleration and deceleration) loading.