May 03, 2024, 06:26:13 AM

Author Topic: How to remote mount a Corvette fuel filter in an FC.  (Read 46525 times)

Offline largeorangefont

How to remote mount a Corvette fuel filter in an FC.
« on: December 27, 2010, 07:57:07 PM »
This is a quick guide on how to remote mount your fuel filter in an FC when doing a LS based engine swap using the stock fuel hard lines. This setup will allow you to have just 1 fuel supply line going to the engine. You can remove the other fuel line if you wish. This will simplify under hood plumbing, and free up more space.

Parts needed:

Dorman part# 800-155
12 in 3/8 quick disconnect fuel line -
Kragen/Checker/Schucks/O'Rilley carries this for $10. That is the cheapest I have seen it.

Napa part numbers #
730-5617
5/16" quick disconnect to 5/16" hose barb
 and
730-5622
3/8" quick disconnect to 5/16" hose barb

The Dorman part numbers for the above connectors are:
800-080 and 800-085 respectively. These are the exact same connectors. I believe Kragen/Checker/Schucks/O'Rilley carries these too.

5 feet of 5/16 high pressure rubber fuel line for fuel injection (8 feet if you plan to plumb the engine side too)
6 fuel injection line clamps for 5/16 fuel line (8 if you plan on doing the engine side).
Corvette fuel filter/pressure regulator - Wix part# 33737
8mm X 1.25 bolt 12-15mm in length and a lock washer

Special tools needed:
Tubing bender for 3/8 inch pipe
5/16 and 3/8 GM fuel fitting disconnect tools
Right angle drill attachment (this may not be needed, but makes it easier. I used the one from Harbor Freight)

To begin you will need to remove your fuel sender access panel in the trunk and both the rubber fuel lines that go from the fuel hat to the OEM hardlines. This guide was done with the diff out of the car. This process can be done with the diff in the car if you remove the gas tank heatsheild. It is held in by 4 screws. If you have a rear swaybar, unbolting it from the chassis may help too.

Once you are under the car, if you look at the driver side framerail, just behind the rear sway bar mount, you will see a tapped hole in the frame rail. This is used for a muffler mount in rotary applications.
Picture of hole shown here from below, circled in red

Close up

Shown from the trunk indicated by a red arrow

You will notice in the pictures that there is a small hole drilled next to the tapped hole. This was drilled to accommodate the mounting tab on the Corvette fuel filter shown here by a red arrow

Take your fuel filter, and your 8mm X1.25 bolt and mount the fuel filter to the framerail, letting the tab press against the framerail. Gently wiggle the filter slightly up and down. The tab will make a scratch on the framerail showing you where to drill the hole. Use a ¼ in drill bit to drill the hole. I used a 90 degree drill adapter and drilled the hole from the trunk of the car. Your mounted fuel filter will look like this.

Viewed from the trunk

Now it is time to assemble the fuel lines. Cut 2 pieces of fuel line 22 to 24 inches long. Take one 5/16 and one 3/8 fuel line connector and 2 fuel line clamps. Put one connector on each fuel line. Your finished lines will look like this

Now attach the fuel lines to your filter. The fuel line conectors will click into place when they are fully seated. Attach the smaller 5/16 connector to the center connector on the fuel filter. This will be your fuel return, it is labeled below in green. This needs to go to the fuel hat port labeled in green. The 3/8 connector will go to the offset port on the filter. This is your fuel supply and it is labeled below in blue. This line goes to the fuel hat port labeled in blue. Route both rubber lines to your liking and cut off excess fuel line. Be sure to use fuel line clamps on both of these lines when you connect them to the fuel hat.

Now it is time to make the fuel supply hardline. Your Dorman fuel repair line will start like this

Using a tubing bender you will need to make it look something like this

Here it is mocked up in place. Do not push it into the filter yet.

From here you need to take 10 to 12 inches of rubber fuel line and shove it onto the open end of the Dorman hard line. Use just a bit of Vaseline to make this easier and push the rubber line all the way up to the flange. Secure the fuel line with a fuel line clamp. Now you can cut off the excess rubber line, Push the Dorman hardline into the filter (it will click into place) and attach the rubber fuel line to the OEM hardline you wish to use. The factory return is marked with an R and the factory feed is marked with an F in the picture below.

That is it, you are done with the fuel filter installation. You can remove the OEM hardline you are not using if you wish. To plumb the engine side, simply use your remaining Dorman 3/8 in fuel line connector and your remaining fuel line. Cut the fuel line to the length you want and install the connector on the line with a clamp. Attach the other end to your OEM hardline with a clamp and push the connector onto the fuel rail until it clicks.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 09:54:55 PM by largeorangefont »
Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.

Offline shorttrack

Re: How to: Remote mount a Corvette fuel filter in an FC.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 09:13:17 PM »
Thanks for the write up.  Now I can do mine without having to think.
88 RX7 LS1 T56
10 CTS 3.6
01 F150 Super-crew 4x4
98 Civic HX

Offline largeorangefont

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 09:19:29 PM »
I will edit this tomorrow with final pictures. I am getting another fuel line to rebend and I won't cut the end off.

Offline digitalsolo

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 10:43:01 PM »
Awesome write up, nice work.   :)
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Gen V LT4/TR6060, upper/lower pullies, headers, tune.
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Stock...ish.

Offline bikedad

Re: How to remote mount a Corvette fuel filter in an FC.
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 09:26:19 AM »
I think I'm going to mount my new Return type FPR like that. (Carbureted)
I need to get it off the firewall and I only want to run one feed line to the carb.

Thanks for the write up. I'll extrapolate it. LOL
Don Teifke  :drive:
[smg id=8489]
"Life is tough.,, Life is even tougher if you're stupid."
-----John Wayne-----

Offline Tommy

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 10:35:24 AM »
good work
Parted and sold out

Offline TII_Arekusu

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 09:34:04 PM »
Sticky? So many people have asked this question.

Offline digitalsolo

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 12:15:52 AM »
Sticky indeed.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Gen V LT4/TR6060, upper/lower pullies, headers, tune.
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Stock...ish.

afishyseven

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 08:23:29 PM »
whats the complications on replacing in this location?

looks like a tight fit.

Offline Pez

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 10:30:05 PM »
Just as complicated as putting it there in the first place. Plus, I've never seen one go bad.
FC/FD plug and play wiring harnesses, LSx swap AC systems, LSx swap power steering lines.

afishyseven

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 11:46:52 AM »
what happened to the rest of the OP?

Offline jasong

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 04:40:38 PM »
what happened to the rest of the OP?

What he said. All the pictures and the write up are gone.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 05:10:09 PM by jasong »

Offline largeorangefont

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 11:01:10 AM »
Can this be restored or do I need to rewrite it?

Offline largeorangefont

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 11:05:15 AM »
whats the complications on replacing in this location?

looks like a tight fit.

None, it is pretty accessible there, even with the diff and exhaust in place. To replace it you would first remove the hardline, then remove the bolt holding the filter in place. That will give you enough slack to remove the 2 rubber lines.

Offline Pez

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 11:07:55 AM »
I installed one just like LOF did pretty easily by removing the gas tank front shield (4 bolts), and unbolting the swaybar to chassis bolts (4 bolts). Diff was still in place.
FC/FD plug and play wiring harnesses, LSx swap AC systems, LSx swap power steering lines.