March 28, 2024, 08:07:58 AM

Author Topic: what gauges are you guys using... pics pls  (Read 51862 times)

Offline jayseven

what gauges are you guys using... pics pls
« on: December 08, 2010, 06:27:01 PM »
Im trying to decide on which gauges to buy.  i have a 2 gauge A pillar that i need to fill up.  i just want to see some of yalls setups and see what i like.  When i had the rotary i ran defi gauges with the amber red that matched the FD gauge cluster.  but i think they quit making those in 06 ocording to the website.  Im just trying to figure out what you guys like and please post some pics!!

Offline BeatTheTunaUp

Re: what gauges are you guys using... pics pls
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 07:39:58 PM »
My FD cluster.[attachimg=1]
93 FD money pit
15 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
96 Dodge Ram 4X4  Truck I wanted in HS
98 Baja 192 Islander  5.7 vortec On the water

Offline clocker

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 08:06:38 PM »
Miata cluster in the FD...

V8Mongrel

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 08:09:09 PM »

Pillar mounts suck, IMO.  Each gauge is at a different focal distance so reading them is slow.

Offline Jordan Innovations

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • Competition Mil-spec wiring/electronics since 2005
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Jordan Innovations
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 08:40:17 PM »
Pillar mounts suck, IMO.  Each gauge is at a different focal distance so reading them is slow.

Quoted for fucking truth.  Nobody uses pillar mounts anymore, total rice, especially in a FC or FD where there are plenty of usable dash locations.

I have a 3-gauge DIN piece with water temp, oil press, and wideband o2 but will be converting to the Aeroforce Interceptor gauges and putting them in the stock water temp and oil pressure locations with the Innovate wideband controller feeding them directly.  http://www.aeroforcetech.com/products_interceptor.html

Offline matt

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 08:41:34 PM »
VDO Vision.

VDO has a new line called Viewline.  The speedometer has integrated indicator lights which is awesome if you're looking for a clean OEM look.
81 S LS1/T56
Ford 8"
Panhard bar & 3 link
FC front subframe
TII brakes

Offline digitalsolo

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 08:49:43 PM »
Quoted for fucking truth.  Nobody uses pillar mounts anymore, total rice, especially in a FC or FD where there are plenty of usable dash locations.

That's just asinine.     I have two gauges on my pillar, and 3 more in the "idiot light" area.     Water Temp, Oil pressure, fuel level, speedo and tach are not sufficient gauges for a turbo car, especially an automatic.

I have wideband and fuel pressure on the pillar, the wideband is digital and easy to see, and the fuel pressure isn't a "constant check" gauge.     The idiot light area has my boost gauge/controller, and oil and transmission temperature.

Please though, keep filling us in with your brilliant absolute statements, after all, your exact circumstances are the same for everyone else.

To the OP:    I'd look at replacing the stock water temp and oil pressure gauges in the factory cluster first.   If you still want more gauges, well, what's the purpose of the car?   Street car?   You probably don't need any more gauges, but, if you must, wideband O2 and oil temp would be my recommendations.     For an a-pillar mount, I like digital gauges with warning lights, as it's easy to see in your peripheral vision, vs. analog gauges.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Gen V LT4/TR6060, upper/lower pullies, headers, tune.
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Stock...ish.

Offline Jordan Innovations

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • Competition Mil-spec wiring/electronics since 2005
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Jordan Innovations
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 08:56:56 PM »
Never would have pegged you for such a ricer Blake  :D

I've never liked A-pillar gauges, they're very popular with the forced induction Corvette crowd since they don't have DIN pockets or gauge spots for pillars. 

In my experience, they're in the way most of the time and this makes you ignore them ~ so you don't notice them when they're outside of norms.

I see how wideband would work I guess, and I like the idea of idiot lights up there.  We've done that with oil pressure lights on a couple race cars over the years.

Offline Pez

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 08:57:46 PM »
I got ricey pillar gauges in the van.  Bet you didn't know Autometer made a dual pillar pod for an Astro, did ya?  Got trans temp and tach, cos I've gone through about 7 transmission in that thing, and there is no tach on the factory cluster.
FC/FD plug and play wiring harnesses, LSx swap AC systems, LSx swap power steering lines.

Offline largeorangefont

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 09:01:34 PM »
My oil temp and oil pressure are mounted low on the pillar in my FC. For me they are perfect to glance at on the track.

If you have your gauges clocked to read straight up for "at a glance" verification, you aren't taking the time to read any of the gauges anyway so if you can't read them on the pillar... who cares?
Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.

Offline jayseven

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 09:07:01 PM »
I guess what im asking for is FD pillar gauge pics.  I loved my old amber Defi gauges.  Im just looking for what you guys are running before i purchase

Offline digitalsolo

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 09:20:16 PM »
Never would have pegged you for such a ricer Blake  :D

I've never liked A-pillar gauges, they're very popular with the forced induction Corvette crowd since they don't have DIN pockets or gauge spots for pillars. 

In my experience, they're in the way most of the time and this makes you ignore them ~ so you don't notice them when they're outside of norms.

I see how wideband would work I guess, and I like the idea of idiot lights up there.  We've done that with oil pressure lights on a couple race cars over the years.

FWIW, I agree that it's not a great placement, the key is to have gauges that are A) not important to see constantly and B) warning lights if shit is starting to go wrong.

On that topic, set your warning lights to the "getting near a bad place" zone, not the "in a bad place" zone, they're not very good at warning you if you already blew your shit up.   :D      Just a random aside, as I've seen people set them to go off when oil pressure is at ~10 psi or temp is 300*.    Well, great, now you know that it's too late.  ;)

OP:   BeasTT has some pics of his gauges on the pillar, though he switched to white gauge faces in the FD cluster.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Gen V LT4/TR6060, upper/lower pullies, headers, tune.
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Stock...ish.

Offline bikedad

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 09:23:57 PM »
Here are my Equus E Gauges in my FC.
They work very well. Not expensive.
Edit: Yes my "Volts" gauge needs to be clocked better.  ::)

[smg id=2512]
Don Teifke  :drive:
[smg id=8489]
"Life is tough.,, Life is even tougher if you're stupid."
-----John Wayne-----

Offline 93silverbullet

• Supporting Member
  • Launching!
  • Faster than a speeding ticket...
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 10:58:43 PM »
Defi gauges in a tri-pod center speaker setup.

[smg id=2513]

[smg id=2514]
Richard.

Offline Shavel

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 12:03:04 AM »
I have a 3-gauge DIN piece with water temp, oil press, and wideband o2 but will be converting to the Aeroforce Interceptor gauges and putting them in the stock water temp and oil pressure locations with the Innovate wideband controller feeding them directly.  http://www.aeroforcetech.com/products_interceptor.html

I just picked up an interceptor gauge, but they sent me the wrong one, getting it exchanged.  Good customer service so far.  I would love to integrate it into the stock cluster, so let us how your mod goes...
Ant