April 26, 2024, 01:04:46 AM

Author Topic: More block hugger header shenanigans  (Read 12990 times)

Offline carl0s

More block hugger header shenanigans
« on: May 15, 2010, 05:01:12 PM »
So, in a now lost previous post on the subject, I had acquired some Corvette LS3 manifolds and some Hooker Block Hugger Headers. It turned out that both of these are unusable. The LS3 manifolds would be superb but the steering shaft cuts across the collector opening. I even bought a milling machine to make a wedged manifold to downpipe flange, so that a downpipe could be angled against the manifold, but this wasn't enough.

So, I had decided it was time to just pay an exhaust company, and I got in touch with one of the best, but they've not got back to me so once again I have been playing today. I cut up one of the Hooker headers a bit, but still it's no good (it's actually the engine mount that's in the way on that one) *However*, I have a better idea of what would work now, and I think I'm going to buy some Edelbrock block huggers, or shorties, or even both. I would be extremely frustrated if they didn't work though, since there's only so much money I can throw away like this.

I have two options, and I am leaning more to these: (65763 / 65762)

but there are also these: (65173 / 65172)

Thankfully that's a pretty helpful diagram on the first one so I'm going to take some measurements tomorrow.
The first ones (the bigger, block huggers) are $415 from summit.
--
Carl
LS2 FD

Offline digitalsolo

Re: More block hugger header shenanigans
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 12:16:37 AM »
They look like they have a chance.  :)
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Gen V LT4/TR6060, upper/lower pullies, headers, tune.
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Stock...ish.

Offline carl0s

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 07:57:22 AM »
Yeah. I'm just out looking at the car now and there's a chance the first ones (the larger, block huggers, that I thought I preferred) will foul Justin's engine subframe, where there's a box section thing.

The smaller ones might be perfect, but they're not symmetrical, so they might be perfect for RHD (me!) but not LHD.

Ideally I want to buy both, but I'll feel bad if I do that...
--
Carl
LS2 FD

Offline carl0s

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 08:16:55 AM »
Ah feck it. I'm going to order the first lot, at least they're symmetrical so the community will learn something if they work (i.e. we should know that they work for LHD folks as well). If they don't work perhaps I'll refrain from butchering them so that I can flog 'em on eBay instead.

My main concern with the second lot, although they don't hang down as far (which is good), is that they're not described as block huggers, and there are no dimensions, so I would be worried that they protrude out too far horizontally.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 08:28:55 AM by carl0s »
--
Carl
LS2 FD

Offline bimbleuk

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 10:49:38 AM »
Having tried a couple of the cast manifolds I've found them all to kick out too much for RHD. So as in the description they match a factory fit you really need an end on view to see how much they come out before ordering. I've mentioned to you before about my headers (I've posted a thread) and they are hopefully going to be completed on Friday with the rest of the system. The Edelbrock headers are a very good price but mild steel even though the coating will probably make them more duable.

Cheers
Justin

Offline carl0s

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 08:04:09 AM »
Having tried a couple of the cast manifolds I've found them all to kick out too much for RHD. So as in the description they match a factory fit you really need an end on view to see how much they come out before ordering. I've mentioned to you before about my headers (I've posted a thread) and they are hopefully going to be completed on Friday with the rest of the system. The Edelbrock headers are a very good price but mild steel even though the coating will probably make them more duable.

Cheers
Justin

Hi Justin. I do have a front-on view and they don't stick out any more than the mail coolant pipe on the block. Have a look below:
--
Carl
LS2 FD

Offline bimbleuk

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 11:07:01 AM »
They still look to kick out too far on the left of the picture almost straight towards the steering column. That maybe to avoid the starter but doesn't account for the steering column which of course isn't on that side for LHD. The right side of the picture is more like the angle required as they are avoiding the steering column but don't have to worry about the starter.

Below is a picture I took previously which shows how little room you have on the steering column side. I could probably post a picture of my headers after Friday showing the angles they take down the sides.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 11:18:55 AM by bimbleuk »

Offline carl0s

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 04:08:24 PM »
Yeah please do.

I'll have the Edelbrock headers around about the same time anyway ;)
--
Carl
LS2 FD

Offline carl0s

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 04:07:22 AM »
Off to the post office to collect the parcel now ..   :drive:
--
Carl
LS2 FD

Offline carl0s

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 05:27:46 AM »
Well kids, it is unfortunately as I had suspected. The collector interferes with the box section of Justin's subframe :(

Oh well it's only money eh!!
--
Carl
LS2 FD

Offline carl0s

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 06:35:41 AM »
I have just ordered the other Edelbrocks.

See ya in a week :)
--
Carl
LS2 FD

Offline carl0s

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 05:49:53 AM »
I'm baaack!
Wooo hooo! Hell yeahhh!!

^^ that's the only bit of interference, and that'll bend easily!

(are those photos working? I'm using Facebook for hosting, since my phone uploads to facebook happily..)
--
Carl
LS2 FD

Offline carl0s

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 07:12:40 AM »
p.s, spot the A/C compressor in the last pic ;)  :drive: 8)
--
Carl
LS2 FD

Offline carl0s

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 07:17:35 AM »
I haven't actually had a look from under the car BTW, so it's possible I'm being a bit premature. I'm hopeful though. Just waiting for the rain to stop.
--
Carl
LS2 FD

Offline bimbleuk

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 09:28:19 AM »
I haven't actually had a look from under the car BTW, so it's possible I'm being a bit premature. I'm hopeful though. Just waiting for the rain to stop.

You could easily delete that heater pipe (it is that isn't it? As I removed mine very early on) and re-run it around the other side. Definitely looking very close (to fitting that is!) and if you only need some minor fettling it should work out cheaper than my custom fabricated headers.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 09:31:53 AM by bimbleuk »