April 25, 2024, 08:49:08 AM

Author Topic: LOF's LS1 FC track car build  (Read 277728 times)

Offline largeorangefont

LOF's LS1 FC track car build
« on: September 25, 2010, 12:28:12 AM »
The time has come for me to begin my swap on my NA rotary FC. After 2000+ track miles in 18 months we finally lost a coolant seal.  The plan now is to start the swap in the next month. This car?s role is mainly a track car that my friend and I built and use for various HPDEs and Time Attack events.  The car will stay street legal, because that makes transportation, and testing/tuning the car easier.  A lot of the interior will be removed and other ?dead weight? eliminated as part of the swap. If we can keep the weight under 2700 lbs I will be happy.
The chassis is pretty well sorted out now. We have used Streets of Willow as our main test track, and since our first outing with the car as it was purchased, we have improved our lap times by about 15 seconds. On NT05 tires we are now running 1:32 lap times in the clockwise configuration. Sub 1:30 is considered fast on street tires. I used to do 1:29s in my Mustang Cobra that has 400 more HP than the FC does.
As you can see we took the reverse approach of most of the swaps. We wanted to make sure the chassis was dialed in and reliable before we added extra power. Obviously the additional power will require some more chassis tuning and increased braking power, but we are prepared for that.

Some highlights of the car are as follows:
86 base FC w/ sunroof ? no weight removal has been done as of yet. I wanted to weigh the car before the swap, but since it is now broken, that is out.
No PS or AC, manual windows and door locks
5 lug conversion with Turbo brakes and HP+ pads
95 Mustang Cobra R wheels  17X9 +24 all around with Nitto NT05 235/40/17 tires
NA clutch LSD
All solid suspension bushings and subframe/diff mounts
BC coilovers
RB swaybars
Autopower 4 point roll bar, Sparco seat and Gforce harness

Post swap goals related to the engine:
We would be more than happy with 375 WHP for now
Ability to safely rev to 7000 RPM if needed
Bulletproof cooling system -This will mean custom radiator mounting and ductwork
Bulletproof oiling system ? Upgraded oil pan baffling and Accusump

Last year we found a deal on a 98 LS1 that came out of a Trans Am. The engine supposedly ran but had a rod knock. It came with a good 4L60E, ECU, all accessories, harness, and F body manifolds. To our surprise, it also had an LS6 intake manifold on it. We paid $1000 for the lot. We started pulling it apart last week and it will be getting rebuilt pretty soon. We found 2 of the cylinders were frozen with rust. We freed them up with some PB blaster and a couple days of soak time.  We will be pulling the pan off shortly to inspect everything, and send it off for a rebuild.

Currently, this is a rough list of mods to the engine to attain our goals:
LS6 intake, possibly with larger throttle body
Fresh 241 heads with Comp 921 dual valve springs
TR224 112 LSA cam or GMPP ASA cam? still undecided as of this moment.
Stock rockers with Harland Sharp upgraded trunions
Chromoly pushrods
Cadillac race lifters
ARP rod bolts
LS2 or adjustable timing set
Improved performance oil pan baffle
Melling or ported LS6 oil pump
Accusump setup
Performance oriented rebuild using upgraded bearings, rings, etc. If we need pistons (likely), we will be upgrading to forged units.

You may be wondering why I chose the smallish cam. The goal here is balance. I want an engine that will provide decent power and broad torque while complmenting the brake, suspension, and tire package. It is a lot cheaper and easier to build my engine around the car rather than building my car to handle some crazy HP engine. If we get the car dialed in and feel we need more power, a larger cam, and ported LS6 heads will be used with the valvetrain components  we already have.
The rest of the drivetrain will consist of a Nor-Cal Auto Group rebuilt F body T56 and a TurboII rear end and halfshafts. I am planning to install an 8.8 Cobra diff later

Here is a picture of the car as it was purchased when I brought it home and washed it.

Some pictures of the car as it is now.. more to follow.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 08:00:26 PM by largeorangefont »
Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.

Offline Bowtie7

Re: LOF's LS1 FC track car build
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 03:18:44 PM »
You know I am a fan! That's going to be a great track car.
I do love what I do!

Offline digitalsolo

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 05:05:29 PM »
Definitely looking forward to this build.  :)
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Gen V LT4/TR6060, upper/lower pullies, headers, tune.
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Stock...ish.

Offline FC3S Murray

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 12:50:47 AM »
Great! Good to see you here! I look forward to this as well. The TR224 is a great mild cam from what I have read on LS1 Tech.

13 years of abuse and still running STRONG!

SRM Performance Tuning LLC
https://www.instagram.com/fc3s_murray/?hl=en

Offline largeorangefont

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 07:58:24 PM »
You know I am a fan! That's going to be a great track car.
Definitely looking forward to this build.  :)
Great! Good to see you here! I look forward to this as well. The TR224 is a great mild cam from what I have read on LS1 Tech.

Thanks for the support guys. I cant wait to tear into it and get it done!

I should mention I hope to have the swap done a month from when I pull the rotary, but I am planning for 2 months as I am sure life will get in the way.

Offline therotaryrocket

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 08:33:26 PM »
sweet car.
1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II powered by a 1994 Camaro LT1 and T56. :)

Offline largeorangefont

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 10:08:29 PM »
Small update -

Dropped the engine off at the builder. I will have a full breakdown of what is needed next week. I am anticipating that it will need new pistons and will probably go with forged slugs. I have found CPs for $650, but if anyone has a good source, please let me know.

Also I am debating if I should port my 241 heads or not waste the time. My 241 heads are fresh with the valve springs on them, so there is a chance that I may nick a valve seat and need another valve job. I don't  plan on running the 241s forever anyway and I feel the time may be better spent porting a set of LS6 heads to install later.

Offline frijolee

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 05:16:13 PM »
Good to see this getting started Ash...

What are you planning for clutch?  I still have yet to settle on a perfect blend of daily driver, featherweight, and capable of being beat on.  It might be the RPS carbon carbon setup but I don't know for sure.

Definitely excited for this one.  Let me know if you need anything parts or help wise.  In terms of Ronin goods I think a vented hood, brakes, and wing would all be killer on this.
LS2 stroker FC, Mandeville big brakes, widebody, etc
Build thread:  http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1274.0
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline largeorangefont

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 10:29:42 PM »
Yea it is about time :)

I am thinking about a Spec Stage 3+ but I'm not 100% sure yet. I'm waiting to hear back from Ollie with an estimate on the engine rebuild.

I will definately be calling all of the local guys for help (or just to hang out in the garage) to get this banged out. I dont think it is going to be horrible as I don't really want to do anything really exotic or custom aside from the radiator and intake.

I will be getting your brake kit. I am unsure on the hood, as I may need even more flow than that but fiberglass is easy to mess with. The wing is on the list, probably in the spring, as is a full front undertray and splitter.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 07:55:48 PM by largeorangefont »

Offline FC3S Murray

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 10:38:18 PM »

Definitely excited for this one. 

I second that :)!!

13 years of abuse and still running STRONG!

SRM Performance Tuning LLC
https://www.instagram.com/fc3s_murray/?hl=en

Offline V8-rx7

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 02:00:58 AM »
So when are you going to stop by so we can stitch weld the car ?
86 RX7 Under reconstruction Twin Turbo LS1/T56 8.8 IRS  
93 RX7 MB Touring Stock Rotary with some bolt ons

Offline largeorangefont

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 09:32:25 AM »
So when are you going to stop by so we can stitch weld the car ?

Sometime after I get it apart. My goal is to have the rotary out by the end of the month. I have a couple projects I need to finish before I can get the car in the garage and start working on it.

Offline largeorangefont

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 07:52:51 PM »
Engine is apart, nothing blatantly wrong with it. I should have the details of the rebuild finalized next week.

Also sold my 4l60E for $300, bringing the total outlay for my complete LS1 engine to $700.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 10:35:18 PM by largeorangefont »

Offline RX7V8Builder

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 08:21:41 PM »
Subscribing to your build thread.  Interested in what you will do to your interior.  I decided to keep mine as stock as possible.  I want to use it as a DD to begin with.
Your car is almost the same as mine....Base model FC manual windows, no PS.  I did have AC though.
If it helps I weighted it before the swap with no driver and less than 1/2 tank and it tipped the scale at 2578 lbs.

I took the same approach as you are doing.  Did the chassis first and it made quite a difference in the way the car handled still under rotary power.  It only made me speed up the swap.

'87 Base Model FC
LT1 385 LE ported DART heads_ T56 
8.8 IRS
Ricardo

Offline largeorangefont

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 10:11:55 PM »
Subscribing to your build thread.  Interested in what you will do to your interior.  I decided to keep mine as stock as possible.  I want to use it as a DD to begin with.
Your car is almost the same as mine....Base model FC manual windows, no PS.  I did have AC though.
If it helps I weighted it before the swap with no driver and less than 1/2 tank and it tipped the scale at 2578 lbs.
I took the same approach as you are doing.  Did the chassis first and it made quite a difference in the way the car handled still under rotary power.  It only made me speed up the swap.

Wow, thank you. Your car looks to be in great condition. I am a bit suprised (pleasantly) that your car was that light! I would suspect I am about 75 lbs heavier than you with the sunroof, roll bar, and my heavier wheels/tires and brakes. I do have an alumnium N/A hood on my car though and all my AC stuff is gone.

If I can keep this thing around 2600 post swap, I will be stoked.

As far as the interior goes, This is not a DD, but that said, I dont want to drive around a gutted tin can. I will be keeping the door panels, dash and center console. I will be deleting the heater, but keeping the fan and associated plumbing for that.  I will lighten the dash structure if possible. the idiot light stack and wiring will be gone. I also want the ECU in the passenger footwell.

I will probably pull the headliner. I may keep the carpet in just for insulation from heat. All the stuff behind the drivers seat will be going in the trash can. The battery will be behind the passenger seat and the Accusump will be behind the drivers seat.

I figure I will be pulling 100+ lbs out of the car to offset the weight of the engine, transmission, and rear end.

I dont regret my decision to keep the rotary in the car for so long. I learned so much more about the car, and how to better my driving by starting with a slow car, and dialing it in to get faster.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 10:29:47 PM by largeorangefont »