August 18, 2018, 02:47:21 PM

Author Topic: Hotter LS cam that will pass Cali smog?  (Read 128 times)

Offline BlackEuropa

• In The Bleach Box
    • View Profile
Hotter LS cam that will pass Cali smog?
« on: August 09, 2018, 02:04:47 AM »
Hey all,

I'm running an LS3 E-rod in an FD. Even got a bar sticker. It's running strong but I'd love more power without having to swap components like headers and exhaust every 2 years.

I'm hoping there's a cam out there that I could leave installed and still pass emissions. I could change tunes to the stock E-rod for the test and have one for the hotter cam. It's so clean on the test now, I bet I could get away with something fairly aggressive.

Any suggestions? I assume I'll need something with little or no valve overlap.  -Thanks!

Offline Exidous

• Staged
    • View Profile
Re: Hotter LS cam that will pass Cali smog?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 07:31:59 AM »
The e-rod is about 204/211 duration but I don't know the lobe separation. It's probably pretty high. I'd guess around a 118. Giving you -28.5 overlap. To be safe on the sniffer I think you'd want to be around -6 to -10. A 216/224-114 would get you -8. 1.8:1 rockers as well. Adds lift and out of sight.

It's all about overlap. A 224/230-118 has -9 overlap. The difference in the two is the first cam will feel a little snappier and peak earlier. The second will still pass and make more power but higher up in the rev range.

Also note, AFR and others do make carb legal heads.

I have -2 and passed in the Netherlands with high flow magna cats. They are not as strict as Cali though.

Do they scan the obdII port? If so you may be stuck swapping parts.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 07:51:01 AM by Exidous »
94 BB SBE LS1 Full Mamo top, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and another custom dual 2.5" stainless exhaust. Too loud, need bigger muffler....

Offline largeorangefont

• Top Fuel
  • I steer with the gas pedal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 06:40:24 PM »
An LS9 cam will 100% pass.

A TR224 supposedly will pass with the 114 LSA in an LS1. Id imagine youd be fine with that in an LS3. If it is tuned right, you should be able to leave the tune and just smog it. The TR224 will sound aggressive..
Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.

Offline BlackEuropa

• In The Bleach Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 12:56:59 AM »
Thanks guys. I appreciate the info!