March 28, 2024, 07:03:32 AM

Author Topic: Bypassing clutch switch and starter relay - check my work  (Read 2657 times)

Offline wompa164

Bypassing clutch switch and starter relay - check my work
« on: December 31, 2017, 04:44:34 PM »
Hi all,

I am reworking my front harness currently. I've been reading about people bypassing the security relay by bridging B/L+L/W on A1-03, and I was thinking about taking it a step further and bypassing the clutch switch too ('94 MT). Could you guys check my logic? I was planning on hijacking Black/Blue wire right out of X-03 (ignition switch), deleting everything downstream (A1-03, A1-04, X-11) and sending my own new wire up through the front harness to run to the starter.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 04:51:08 PM by wompa164 »

Offline wompa164

Re: Bypassing clutch switch and starter relay - check my work
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 10:36:22 PM »
Thanks Lane, you've been an instrumental resource to my rewire project this far!

Offline Jakewah

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 12:24:39 PM »
Hi all,

I am reworking my front harness currently. I've been reading about people bypassing the security relay by bridging B/L+L/W on A1-03, and I was thinking about taking it a step further and bypassing the clutch switch too ('94 MT). Could you guys check my logic? I was planning on hijacking Black/Blue wire right out of X-03 (ignition switch), deleting everything downstream (A1-03, A1-04, X-11) and sending my own new wire up through the front harness to run to the starter.

Thanks!

Can you please explain the need for bypassing the security relay and the clutch switch? I am getting close to starting my engine and am wondering if I need to do these. Thanks!

Offline wompa164

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 12:37:51 PM »
It's nothing you necessarily need to do so long as your vehicle is in good working shape.

People on describe issues with the OEM security system and the starter relay failing over time and causing issues with starting. Additionally, the clutch safety switch is another potential point of failure - I personally witnessed this after fragging the rubber stopper on mine and couldn't start the car normally until replacing it.

Removing/bypassing these circuits isn't necessary - I am just a minimalist and have made the decision to remove the circuits to reduce complexity and increase reliability.

Offline Jakewah

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 12:44:21 PM »
Makes complete sense, thank you for the response!