May 05, 2024, 04:23:25 AM

Author Topic: Tommy's 90 FC L92 Daily driver  (Read 16310 times)

Offline Tommy

Tommy's 90 FC L92 Daily driver
« on: September 02, 2010, 12:54:19 PM »
I figure it's time to rebuild my BUILD thread.  I'll drop pics and info in here as I can make sense of what I still have

-My Project-

1990 FC RX7
T56 viper internals
1988 TII clutch LSD
C4 driveshaft
Hinson mounts
L92 long block
LS3 intake and TB
LS7 Cam
Patriot Extreme springs
2000 LS1 engine accessories
Enormous truck alternator (L92)
Trailblazer SS exhaust manifolds and cats
2.5 stainless mandrel bent dual exhaust
Magnaflow cans and X-pipe
GMPP Harness and PCM
Supra TT Denso fuel pump
Stock fuel lines
Corvette fuel pressure regulator
Integra Speedo swap
JTR Radiator kit
Used C4 radiator
Volvo electric fan
Power steering with Turn One adapter
2000 Mustang GT chrome 5 star rims
TII aluminum hood

Bought the car from the original owner.  A middle-aged woman CPA.  She'd gotten preganant shortly after getting the car and it didn't get driven much.  October 2008 I pick it up with 72,000 miles on it and a great running n/a rotor drivetrain.  Everything still works.

Took me about a year of reading, planning and gathering parts to get set.  Then another period of time to complete the swap.  Now the car is fulfilling it's intended purpose, daily driver hahaha

Some media of the original condition, pre-swap.

1990 RX-7 Stock N/A Running walk around

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 02:07:04 PM by Tommy »
Parted and sold out

Offline Tommy

Re: Tommy's 90 FC L92 Daily driver
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 01:02:36 PM »
Some of the pics I have of the day the rotary was liberated.  I was able to sell the complete drivetrain and exhaust to one local fellah for $1500.  It was excellent. 

Parted and sold out

Offline Tommy

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 01:13:34 PM »
I'm not going to be organized about this, I'll post stuff as I find it.  So this is what I have on this computer lol

Exhaust manifold comparison, TBSS units in place, collector measurements
Parted and sold out

Offline Tommy

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 01:17:19 PM »
I needed some small hands to get through a few steps with the radiator install.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 01:18:53 PM by Tommy »
Parted and sold out

Offline Tommy

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 02:06:11 PM »
Exhaust day!

Parted and sold out

Offline ProjectD

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 11:49:55 PM »
Looks and sounds Nice man. But do you have to remove your complete exhaust system as one piece?

Offline Tommy

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 09:00:12 AM »
Looks and sounds Nice man. But do you have to remove your complete exhaust system as one piece?

Thanks!

Good eye.  I'll be honest the exhaust wasn't built well in my opinion.  I've used this guy before and all indications were that he would do a good job...  But When I picked it up I noticed he didn't use the stock isolators and hangers (probably because the cats are so close) and the cobbled the rest together.  I was in a hurry to get it done which I think bit me.  I will have the system modified when I can to come apart in a few sections as soon as I can afford some smaller aftermarket cats.  I'm pretty sure the day will come when I will need it to be modular hahaha.
Parted and sold out

Offline Tommy

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 12:50:55 PM »
Here's what the pinion snubber install looks like.  I had three large diameter washers under it.  Once installed it puts some preload on the housing.
Parted and sold out

Offline Tommy

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 04:45:13 PM »
Had to put new brakes on the car, since I daily drive it I went with some Wagner Thermo-quiets.  Organic high performance pads and stock replacement rotors.

Of course I have my eye on the setup from Ronin, but the budget is still recovering.  In  fact I took a minor hit yesterday.  Caught daughter #1 with an empty bottle of medicine so we took a hurried trip to the hospital.
    She picked the best case scenario in a decongestant so it was ok in the end...  Parenthood hahaha  All the thrill you could possible need.

So anyway, I went to the Advance auto expecting to rent one of those generic caliper cube tools.  I called in advance to order the parts and the guy told me they didn't have a tool to rent but I could buy it and return it hahahaha.
     I get there and ask again in case I get a different response from the other clerk, he also says no but then the old lady working there says we should have it!  Nice.  They go to the shelf and she pulls down a brand new kit.  Totally outside my expectations, like the grail of brake tool kits!  So for all you guys look for this if you need to do some brake work, it's a good start.

$100 deposit  you can see the part number in the picture.  All I needed was the mall 3/8 drive disk but hey!
Parted and sold out

Offline Tommy

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 10:26:35 PM »
in an attempt to resolve a continuously blinking seatbelt light and an inconsistently on clock... I pulled the dummy lights and re-soldered all the circuit boards.

tomorrow is the first test. Initial testing hints that I did not break anything and the clock may be on the mend.  But that damn blinking light.  I might have to ..... you know.... unplug it.  hahaha

I also need to run a wire for the MIL from the GMPP harness.  I started to daydream about moving the whole mess to the center console.  Everyone should own some real gauges.
Parted and sold out

Offline Tommy

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 03:40:33 PM »
This was yesterday....  reminded me of the old hotrodder phrase

"passes everything except the gas station"

:'( :cheers:[attachimg=1]
Parted and sold out

Offline Tommy

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 09:58:39 AM »
Per request here are some detail pics of hood mods to get the LS3/hinson mount combo to clear

Here are some sh!tty pics of the waterpump and damper clearance the the JTR radiator/volvo coombo.  I had a tape measure in my hand and meant to by scientific.  But it was too much hassle hahaha.  I estimate 0.5" clearance between the waterpump tit and the fan.  About 1.5" between the damper and the fan.  I had to cut 3/4" off the shroud to get it to fit like this.

and some over all engine pics....  Don't notice my jumper wires to test the gauges :(

Parted and sold out

Offline Tommy

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 10:48:27 AM »
Here are some pics of the Wilwood clutch rebuild kit side by side with the original guts.

The rebuild kit comes with a heavier spring.  I used it and I think the pedal is more consistent.  Has a better feel on return
Parted and sold out

Offline Tommy

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 11:24:19 AM »
My Integra speedometer pics

Here's how it turned out-

Right now the speedo reads about 20mph lowwwwww
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 07:02:47 PM by Tommy »
Parted and sold out

Offline lm38330

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 05:44:30 PM »
Thanks for the pics man
S4 FC LS1/T-56-Gone but not forgotten

91 Coupe RX7-Hoping to get back in the game soon.

DD-2005 Altima SE-R 3.5VQ/6speed-350Z slayer :drive: