March 28, 2024, 08:19:00 PM

Author Topic: Ronin FD widebody - relaunching!!!  (Read 12842 times)

Offline frijolee

Ronin FD widebody - relaunching!!!
« on: October 05, 2016, 03:32:31 PM »
Great news from Ronin Speedworks! 

Over the past two years there have been a great many folks who wanted this albatross of a widebody we created, only to have us respond that we didn't have front fenders available.  We're happy to report that the new front fender molds are DONE.  The rears we had sorted some time back so we're finally ready to offer the whole thing. 

Quick reminder of what all the fuss is about...

We think it's the only widebody that both allows packaging serious rubber and compliments the classic FD lines.

Rebuilding these molds has been quite the process.  We just about started over and cut up set of factory fenders in order to get all the seams and flanges as perfect as possible.  We then grafted on a shell from our first effort and optimized all the shapes and details, even how the taller vent flowed into the door lines.  Then we commissioned new molds...   it all just took a great while longer than we anticipated.  This one has been a labor of love and stubbornness, simply because we dig the FD that much.  We've already quietly changed the status on the wide body on www.roninspeedworks.com from "out of stock" to "pre-order".

To celebrate the re-launch, for the first month of sales we're going to offer the first 10 orders a $100 discount to say "thank you" for your patience.  The coupon code to apply in the shopping cart will be: "AtLongLast" ;) and the deal goes through October 31st.  It'll apply whether you're ordering the full kit or just front fenders to complement the rears you purchased prior. 

Notes:

Your friends / fellow enthusiasts at Ronin Speedworks,
Joel, Mike, and Steve.
LS2 stroker FC, Mandeville big brakes, widebody, etc
Build thread:  http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1274.0
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline markfluko

Re: Ronin FD widebody - relaunching!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 06:02:14 PM »
 :yay:

I hope to be placing an order within the month.

Any idea if the rears fit 18x13 +45 wheels with 355's?

Do you have an expected ship date?

Offline frijolee

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 06:22:53 PM »
Any idea if the rears fit 18x13 +45 wheels with 355's?

Do you have an expected ship date?

Ha!  Talk about serious rubber.  That'd be close, but I think you might.  13" rim width actually sounds perfect for a 355 section tire and speaking from memory 335/30r18s had a bit of room to spare.  Hey @65imp, can you climb under your car and get Mark a more distinct opinion on the above?

Ship dates will depend on how fast we can pull these outs of the molds and if we have any orders backed up when you pull the trigger.  First set are supposed to be out of the mold at the end of this week. 
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline 65imp

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 06:32:03 PM »
With the right offset they would work in the rear no prob.  My 335s have about 1" extra space out to the fender on my ccws
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 06:51:05 PM by 65imp »
absolute power corrupts absolutely  :yay:
93 FD widebody - destroked
69 Suburban - positive manifold pressure
72 Blazer - 6.0, 6speed 4wd
65 Impala - 5.7
59 cad  - 5.3
53 spartan - crash pad status

Offline carlb

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 06:56:02 PM »
Holy crap! I'm spending wayyyy too much money already. But...
'93 RX-7 Black ~500hp
Forged LS2, MMS 220 Heads, 227/230 114+3, Ported FAST 92
Magnum F, Mamo RPS BC2 Clutch, Ronin 8.8 / 3.55 LSD
Ohlins DFV, RaceLogic TC, RB Dual Tip Exhaust

Offline markfluko

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 10:43:35 AM »
Thanks for checking guys. Will you be updating a preorder list somewhere so we can keep track of the first 10 orders? So I can know if I need to light a fire under my ass to pay.

Offline frijolee

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 12:09:51 PM »
Thanks for checking guys. Will you be updating a preorder list somewhere so we can keep track of the first 10 orders? So I can know if I need to light a fire under my ass to pay.

Not really planning on a published list.  We are cutting off the opening offer at the end of October so that could be limit if we don't have 10 folks.  We have two orders thus far.  Going widebody isn't a trivial thing to pull the trigger on. 
www.roninspeedworks.com

Offline carlb

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 12:37:40 PM »
Would running spacers be reasonable to fit front tires under these that aren't ridiculously bad for the street? I'm thinking max 275 or 265 before tramlining is ludicrous. I love the looks and additional rear grip will be useful in a daily. Just don't want to destroy drivability with too much in the front on the streets.
'93 RX-7 Black ~500hp

Offline frijolee

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 02:19:02 PM »
For what it's worth I run 295s on the front of a street car.  Tramlining is there if you pay attention but it's really pretty subtle and certainly not objectionable.  Spacer's are fine too, just keep tabs on your wheel bearings.  We haven't had folks reporter shorter bearing life, but it does add load since the entire contact patch is moving outward and not just the outer face of tire.

-Joel
www.roninspeedworks.com

Offline carlb

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 07:50:26 PM »
For what it's worth I run 295s on the front of a street car.  Tramlining is there if you pay attention but it's really pretty subtle and certainly not objectionable.  Spacer's are fine too, just keep tabs on your wheel bearings.  We haven't had folks reporter shorter bearing life, but it does add load since the entire contact patch is moving outward and not just the outer face of tire.

-Joel

On what size wheels and offset?
'93 RX-7 Black ~500hp

Offline Dvous

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 06:43:08 PM »
I've been waiting quite a while for this! I'll order asap.
'93 fd~black/orange, 5.3l, t56, 7875, HP efi, 4 pt, etc
'63 F250~95' F350 frame, D60, 12valve, zf 5spd, 35's
'51 Willys M38~350/4spd, otherwise all original
'72 FJ40 landcruiser
'03 2500hd duramax~ppe stg 5 trans, efilive tunes, etc, 600hp 1000 ft lbs - daily
Once you drive a V8 RX7 you'll feel like a friggin Viking that just pillaged a village.
- Speedfab

Offline largeorangefont

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 08:41:46 PM »

-Joel

I've ran 275 fronts on 10 inch wheels with a +20 offset.. never an issue.

There is more hype on the internet about tramlining than actually occurs.

Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.

Offline frijolee

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 12:22:31 PM »

-Joel

On what size wheels and offset?

18x10.5 -1 front
18x10.5 -4 rear

www.roninspeedworks.com

Offline frijolee

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 12:24:43 PM »
More pictures.   ;)  Pettit rear flares matched the front decently.  Our rears are better yet. 

www.roninspeedworks.com

Offline piglet

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 03:13:04 PM »
Do you have any info or pics of the rear over fender installation?or if ppl are molding them in, how they went about doing so?