April 24, 2024, 01:46:54 AM

Author Topic: Aeroquip Startlite oil hose failure  (Read 5265 times)

Offline Bowtie7

Re: Aeroquip Startlite oil hose failure
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2015, 09:28:38 AM »
Is there some reason you didn't just want to upgrade to the EGM-112/113? That way you could simplify your setup and not have so many connections. EGM-112

If you sell off the EGM-106 and Mocal thermostat the upgrade shouldn't cost you too much.

Also I would recommend spending the extra +$5 for new ORB fittings. They're a newer low-profile design (Low-Profile Fittings) it's just a bit of extra space but every bit counts.

Mocal thermostat is an area of trouble. I don't/won't use them due to likelihood of failure (sticking closed) which I have had happen with 2 of them. The problem is clearly seen if you open it up and see how poorly it is machined and why it can stick.
I do love what I do!

Offline ImprovedRacing

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 12:24:23 PM »
We're not a fan of the Startlite hose because the rubber is very thin and there is no reinforcement. This makes the hose weak and prone to kinking and collapse in vacuum applications, which is why we discontinued selling it. With the stress that is being put on the hose and fittings with your setup I can see how you might get leaks, but the fitting threads still shouldn't have cut through the hose. If you weren't using Aeroquip fittings I would have said the fittings were not appropriate for the hose.

I highly recommend using a stainless reinforced Nylon hose. Our favorite hose is the RaceFlux 4-ply hose that has a Nylon exterior, an Epichlorohydrin (ECO) synthetic rubber middle layer embedded with a stainless steel braid for support, and a Viton (FKM) inner bore. This hose is strong, lightweight, won't kink, and can handle just about any automotive fluid (oil, fuel, coolant, alcohol, ethanol, water). We currently sell this hose as a "fuel-specific" hose here: http://www.improvedracing.com/an-hose/raceflux-lightweight-fuel-specific-racing-hose-10an-p-467.html

We are actually consolidating our line of hoses to just two hoses: Aeroquip stainless and the RaceFlux hose mentioned above. We are keeping the stainless braided hose because some people prefer it and because it can handle higher pressures. This will allow us to buy larger bulk quantities of the RaceFlux hose and bring the price down so it's comparable to the regular Nylon braided hose that isn't safe for use with fuel.

As far as the sesnsors, you could use our EGM-112 thermostatic adapter and plumb an ENV-150 on the hose for the additional sensor: http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-sensor-turbo-feed-adapter/dual-inline-oil-sensor-manifold-block-p-389.html

Might make for a cleaner setup. Don't forget we make a remote thermostat as well that has received nothing but great reviews: http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-thermostats/high-flow-engine-oil-cooler-thermostat-185f-p-212.html
Michael

Improved Racing Products
Tel (407) 705-3054

Offline wickedrx7

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2015, 09:27:29 PM »
I told you to contact Michael... He knows his shit.

1993 Touring, 2012 L99, T-56, Ronnin 8.8, Ohlins, Speedhut, Samberg and lots of custom parts
Build Thread - http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19354.0
Pictures - www.flikr.com/wickedrx7

Offline largeorangefont

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2015, 11:08:13 PM »
My only problem with Improved Racing is they always come out with better products right after I purchase and install inferior ones.  :cheers:

LS windage tray
External Oil Thermostat
LS Oil Cooler adapter.

Thankfully I did get their V2 oil pan baffle right when it came out.

Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.

Offline Nfinitecc

• Staged
  • [URL=http://s919.photobucket.com/user/WCStanford/m
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 10:30:52 AM »
Well I just ordered 10 feet of starlite for my fuel system, gonna ditch the hardline because I don't like all the connections needed with retaining the hardline, I plan on running it through a type of flexible conduit under-car to prevent puncture.  Improved racing- will your 4 ply hose work with traditional aeroquip AQP Hose fittings?

Offline ImprovedRacing

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2015, 11:55:41 AM »
Well I just ordered 10 feet of starlite for my fuel system, gonna ditch the hardline because I don't like all the connections needed with retaining the hardline, I plan on running it through a type of flexible conduit under-car to prevent puncture.  Improved racing- will your 4 ply hose work with traditional aeroquip AQP Hose fittings?

Yes, it will work with standard reusable AN fittings. Startlite uses some mystery elastomer called AQP and I've never really been able to find out exactly what it is, so I don't know how safe it is for use with fuel. They say it can be used with fuel, but I had Aeroquip stainless braided hose, which is also supposedly safe for fuel, in my fuel system and I was getting fuel permeation through the hose (garage smelled like gasoline). I swapped to the RaceFlux hose and the problem went away.
Michael

Improved Racing Products
Tel (407) 705-3054