October 25, 2014, 06:46:04 PM

Author Topic: DIY LS1 harness mod instructions for dummies.  (Read 16212 times)

Online digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Top Fuel
  • Reputation Power: 256
  • digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
Re: DIY LS1 harness mod instructions for dummies.
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 09:32:00 AM »
Pretty sure that's exactly what I used.

-Blake
Blake MF'ing McBride
1965 Mustang Coupe - Project Car

Offline the burning giraffe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Pre-Staging
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • the burning giraffe has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 07:45:04 PM »
thanks mate ill change the resistor hopefully the alternators not playing up!

Offline Sho Amo

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Staged
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Sho Amo might someday be someone...Sho Amo might someday be someone...Sho Amo might someday be someone...Sho Amo might someday be someone...
  • Smoke Tires Not Drugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 06:44:54 PM »
In this thread
http://www.ls1fc.com/pdfs/LS1HarnessID.pdf

Plugs 36 and 37 contain these circuits

BLUE CONNECTOR WIRES.

1.  Fan control, low temperature-dark green wire coming from pin 42, blue connector.

2.  OBD2.  Dark green from pin 58 blue ?serial data?.

RED CONNECTOR WIRES.

1.  Speedometer control-Skin about 1/2 inch of insulation from the purple/white wire from pin 21. red connector. If you are using a smart speedometer, the purple/white wire goes to the speedometer input.       

2.  Tachometer.  White wire on pin 10, red connector.

3.  Fan control- High temperature.  Dark blue wire, pin 33.

4.  Starter-Use the purple wire already in the harness.

5.  Oil pressure.  A wire must be added if the Mazda gray/red wire is missing.  One end will go to the gauge.  the other end will go to your sensor.  This wire will come out of the harness at the location of your sensor installation.

6.  Coolant temperature.  A wire must be added.  This wire will go from the sensor location @ the threaded hole at the rear of the passenger side cylinder head, to the gauge.

7.  Check engine light.  Use the brown/white wire from pin 46.

8.  Fuel pump relay.  Dark green/white wire coming from pin 9, red connector.

9.  Back up lights.  Not controlled by the PCM.  connect one plug wire to ignition-on, & the other to any red wire, that goes to the lights.

10. Reverse lockout-automatic only- light green, pin 44 , red, if you are lucky it will be there

GM A/C

11. A/C request.  Dark green/white-pin 17

12. A/C status.  Dark green-pin 18

13. A/C clutch.  Dark green/white-pin 43

I found it much easier to use these existing wires rather than cutting them near the pcm connectors. I dont know if thats how this was intended to be written but it didnt seem that way.

[Sold] '90 GTU LS1/t56

Offline 1320king

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Staged
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • 1320king is working their way up.1320king is working their way up.1320king is working their way up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 09:51:42 PM »
where is the CAGS wires? Iam going to be running a th400 so i removed all the trans wires. I followed this wiring diagram to eliminate some of the wiring and stuff and iam going to be using your wiring hook up in addition to. This site was super helpful but cant seem to figure out where the CAGS is?

http://www.lt1swap.com/99-02_vortec_pcm.htm

Offline Sho Amo

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Staged
  • Sho Amo might someday be someone...Sho Amo might someday be someone...Sho Amo might someday be someone...Sho Amo might someday be someone...
  • Smoke Tires Not Drugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 10:43:56 AM »
If you look at the picture in the original post, its connector 6. Pretty easy to find and modify, just follow the directions.
[Sold] '90 GTU LS1/t56

Offline 1320king

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Staged
  • 1320king is working their way up.1320king is working their way up.1320king is working their way up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, 10:41:12 PM »
If you look at the picture in the original post, its connector 6. Pretty easy to find and modify, just follow the directions.

Could you give me the pin numbers? I have a harness out of an auto car so iam not sure if i have it? I found 2 plugs that look like that and 1 was called "3-2 trans control" and iam not entirely sure if that would be it?

Offline gc3

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Launching!
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • gc3 has a powerful will.gc3 has a powerful will.gc3 has a powerful will.gc3 has a powerful will.gc3 has a powerful will.gc3 has a powerful will.gc3 has a powerful will.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 09:41:46 AM »
auto harness will not originally have cags

Offline danzan

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Staged
  • danzan is working their way up.danzan is working their way up.danzan is working their way up.
  • Life is too short to drive a grocery cart
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 12:45:31 PM »
cags is normally off.  the resister is only to fool the PCM into thinking the soloniod coil is in the circuit.  if the PCM does not sense the coil, it wil throw a dtc.
When the shit hits the fan, you'll find out who your friends are.

Offline lm38330

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Staged
  • lm38330 might someday be someone...lm38330 might someday be someone...lm38330 might someday be someone...lm38330 might someday be someone...
  • 91 S5 Coupe,hope it goes V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2012, 07:15:05 AM »

There are 5 pink wires going to the F body external connectors.  cut those wires off to equal length & skin about 1/2" of insulation.  Twist the ends & solder them together, along with an extension wire.  #10 wire will do for the extension.  That wire will go to the ignition-on wire at the ignition switch.

There are two orange wires on the F body external connector.  Those wires will connect to battery constant.

After you do these power wires, you can cut off the F body external connectors.

There is one very long bundle that has a rubber grommet on it.  Be careful when you cut that bundle off, because there is a loop of orange wire, that comes out of the fat harness shroud, at the top end of that bundle.  There are no needed wires in that long snake.

You may want to save the long wires, for use later.

Do I get these from the FBody "C" plugs?

Thanks
S4 FC LS1/T-56-Gone but not forgotten

91 Coupe RX7-Hoping to get back in the game soon.

DD-2005 Altima SE-R 3.5VQ/6speed-350Z slayer :drive:

Offline Drsnoopy

• In The Bleach Box
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Drsnoopy has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 07:45:39 PM »

There are 5 pink wires going to the F body external connectors.  cut those wires off to equal length & skin about 1/2" of insulation.  Twist the ends & solder them together, along with an extension wire.  #10 wire will do for the extension.  That wire will go to the ignition-on wire at the ignition switch.

There are two orange wires on the F body external connector.  Those wires will connect to battery constant.

After you do these power wires, you can cut off the F body external connectors.

There is one very long bundle that has a rubber grommet on it.  Be careful when you cut that bundle off, because there is a loop of orange wire, that comes out of the fat harness shroud, at the top end of that bundle.  There are no needed wires in that long snake.

You may want to save the long wires, for use later.

Do I get these from the FBody "C" plugs?

Thanks

I am confused as to what this means, can some clarify? I can't seem to figure out what is meant by 5 pink and 2 orange wires going to fbody external connectors. Am I suppose to cut 5 pink and 2 orange coming from the PCM connectors?

Offline yeaahhbuddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • In The Bleach Box
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • yeaahhbuddy has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 04:41:38 PM »
notice that i bypass all of the mazda relays for all of the engine functions.

new fuel pump relay. starter solenoid comes directly from the ignition switch. PCM constant comes from the ignition switch, as does ignition-on harness wires.

this enables you to make room in the large relay/fuse box for the front relay box functions.

see 65imp's large relay/fuse box pic, in his build thread.

did you just do away with the fuel pump relay?

thanks
ryan

Offline eyeoutthere

• In The Bleach Box
  • eyeoutthere has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2013, 11:00:26 PM »
On the alternator 470 ohm resistor:

How necessary is this?

I have a 2002 F-body motor and I never installed this resistor. It ran without issue for 8 years.

Did I get lucky?

Online digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Top Fuel
  • Reputation Power: 256
  • digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2013, 12:01:55 AM »
It is only needed on 98s or when not using the PCM for control.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1965 Mustang Coupe - Project Car

Offline eyeoutthere

• In The Bleach Box
  • eyeoutthere has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2014, 07:49:32 PM »
Thanks!

couple more questions

There are 5 pink wires going to the F body external connectors. ...  That wire will go to the ignition-on wire at the ignition switch.

How much current is drawn by the combined Ignition and Battery wires?

I want to give them individual fuses. It looks like there was at least 4 different 15amp fuses on the Camaro (INJ1, INGJ2, ENG CNTRL and A/C-Cruise)

UPDATE: Info was in the FD Harness Hookup thread (http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=173.0)

Recommended inline fuses:
25 amp for ignition.
5 amp for bat.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 04:31:00 PM by eyeoutthere »

Tags: