March 29, 2024, 02:03:56 AM

Author Topic: Please help wiring up PEZ harness!  (Read 84273 times)

Offline jdm91t

Please help wiring up PEZ harness!
« on: July 02, 2013, 03:21:34 AM »
I know there are many threads like this, but the more I read the more I'm confused. I already read through the stickies, but my setup is somewhat unique. I have a 93 FD with a GTO ls2, however I'm using the ls1 fbody PCM so I can retain good AC control, and Greg set the harness up to this combo(actually he recommended it). Keeping a throttle cable is nice too. So Here are some photo's below, I'll list out what I'm having trouble with, if you can please chime in as I know PEZ is always busy.

Switched power= Where is the best/easiest place to get that from? I know the pdf wiring guide says the black/white wire under the steering column, but there are like 3 black/white wires there. Does anyone have a picture? Also I heard there is a switched 12v in the x-14 connector, can I use that wire to supply the ECU correctly? Or do you need a thicker wire?

A/C request wire=I just have one wire that says AC REQ, where should I hook this too? I'm assuming it is where the button on the dash goes to to signal on the compressor clutch.

Temp= This is a yellow wire that exits the harness further toward the engine bay than the others. I am using the factory mazda sensor and the GTO sensor, but where does this wire go? It looks like I have plugs in my harness for two ls2 coolant sensors(not sure if the coolant shares a plug design with something else) so it is confusing. The wire I'm going to hook into the rx7 harness is the mazda unit signal right?

PUMP=I'm assuming the fuel pump signal wire, should I run this all the way back to the fuel pump relay or can I connect it to the factory signal wire under the dash and use the factory wire at the sending unit plug as the signal?

Speedo=There isn't a wire labeled speedo in this harness. There is an unlabeled green/white wire next to AC req and fuel pump signal(also green/white), think that could be it?

KEY ON=does this go to the starter lug? It comes out right next to the starter wire. If so where does the PCM get it's 12v key on signal from?

Starter= I get that this should be on the starter signal lug, but what is the KEY ON for?

OIL PRESS= I am using the factory mazda oil pressure sender for the gauge in the dash, what would this wire be for? Does the ECU need the factory oil pressure sensor? I have an aftermarket gauge for pressure and the dash gauge. Where should I hook this to?

I know I'm a noob, but I'm getting real close to having this car running.

93 403ci FD finally burning rubber :drive:

Offline jdm91t

Re: Please help wiring up PEZ harness!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 01:01:22 AM »
Can you guys help me out? I'm trying to finish up the wiring and this is the last info I need. Already relocated the battery to Pass bin and wired in 5 aftermarket gauges + a mini 4 channel amp:)

Offline halfspec

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 10:01:27 AM »
Switched power= Where is the best/easiest place to get that from? I know the pdf wiring guide says the black/white wire under the steering column, but there are like 3 black/white wires there. Does anyone have a picture? Also I heard there is a switched 12v in the x-14 connector, can I use that wire to supply the ECU correctly? Or do you need a thicker wire?
I always lean towards lower gauge wiring to make sure you aren't getting too much resistance in your route. I would just wire it to your steering column.

A/C request wire=I just have one wire that says AC REQ, where should I hook this too? I'm assuming it is where the button on the dash goes to to signal on the compressor clutch.

This is going to be the violet wire that runs from your thermo switch to the stock FD ECU and Fan #1 relay. In my opinion its easiest to tap in to at the stock ECU connector B1-01 or the thermoswitch on your evaporator (behind your glove box) which is G-08.

Temp= This is a yellow wire that exits the harness further toward the engine bay than the others. I am using the factory mazda sensor and the GTO sensor, but where does this wire go? It looks like I have plugs in my harness for two ls2 coolant sensors(not sure if the coolant shares a plug design with something else) so it is confusing. The wire I'm going to hook into the rx7 harness is the mazda unit signal right?

I have no idea about this. My gauges are all aftermarket. I seem to recall that you can wire up the stock coolant temp gauge through X-14 if you have a stock coolant temp sender but its been a while since I've read through the stickies dealing with wiring up the stock gauges.

PUMP=I'm assuming the fuel pump signal wire, should I run this all the way back to the fuel pump relay or can I connect it to the factory signal wire under the dash and use the factory wire at the sending unit plug as the signal?
Don't fool with the stock fuel pump relay. It's garbage and has a built in resistor circuit. Run a wire back to a relay back at your fuel pump access lid and wire it up above it in the cargo bay. I'm going from memory but I believe the LS1 PCM sends a 12v signal out to activate the fuel pump relay, so wire one side of the relay's coil to ground (pin 85 or 86 on the relay), then wire the other side of the coil to the fuel pump signal wire.

Speedo=There isn't a wire labeled speedo in this harness. There is an unlabeled green/white wire next to AC req and fuel pump signal(also green/white), think that could be it?
Depending on the year of your PCM the VSS signal coming out of the PCM could be green/white (some years its purple), so that could be it. If you want to be sure you could trace the wire back to the PCM and let us know what pin it goes to. That along with the year of the PCM would help us out.

KEY ON=does this go to the starter lug? It comes out right next to the starter wire. If so where does the PCM get it's 12v key on signal from?
I would take this to mean that it's another switched 12v source, but that doesn't make a lot of sense. I really don't know for sure what that's about. I doubt it has anything to do with the starter though.

OIL PRESS= I am using the factory mazda oil pressure sender for the gauge in the dash, what would this wire be for? Does the ECU need the factory oil pressure sensor? I have an aftermarket gauge for pressure and the dash gauge. Where should I hook this to?
The LS1 doesn't use an oil pressure reference. My only guess is this is wiring that's meant to connect the stock oil pressure gauge to the stock oil pressure sender.

Lane

Offline jdm91t

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
Wait, I don't see a wire in your pictures that says 12v switched. Are you sure the Key On wire isn't just the wire that needs to be connected to a 12v switched supply?

Lane

It's there, I just don't have a picture of it. I was going to tap the black/white under the steering column but need to figure out which one to use first. Is it one or two in the picture? As long as the starter only needs the purple signal wire and the 4 gauge from the battery I think I'm good.

I always lean towards lower gauge wiring to make sure you aren't getting too much resistance in your route. I would just wire it to your steering column.  That's sensible. Can you take a look at the above photo and tell me which black/white I should tap?

This is going to be the violet wire that runs from your thermo switch to the stock FD ECU and Fan #1 relay. In my opinion its easiest to tap in to at the stock ECU connector B1-01 or the thermoswitch on your evaporator (behind your glove box) which is G-08. Can you take a look at the below picture? Is it the violetish/white wire I circled on the smaller b1-01 connector? Or is it on the larger connector? Also do you have to ground the black wire in the bigger connector to make the tach work?

I have no idea about this. My gauges are all aftermarket. I seem to recall that you can wire up the stock coolant temp gauge through X-14 if you have a stock coolant temp sender but its been a while since I've read through the stickies dealing with wiring up the stock gauges. Yeah I know you can connect it to the x-14, but I don't understand why there is a GM connector on the other end of the wire. I did trace it and there is only one yellow wire between the two connectors

Don't fool with the stock fuel pump relay. It's garbage and has a built in resistor circuit. Run a wire back to a relay back at your fuel pump access lid and wire it up above it in the cargo bay. I'm going from memory but I believe the LS1 PCM sends a 12v signal out to activate the fuel pump relay, so wire one side of the relay's coil to ground (pin 85 or 86 on the relay), then wire the other side of the coil to the fuel pump signal wire. cool I just ran it to the back. I wanted to make sure that was a signal on for the pump. I'm using the DW300 pump and wiring kit which is just as you described.

Depending on the year of your PCM the VSS signal coming out of the PCM could be green/white (some years its purple), so that could be it. If you want to be sure you could trace the wire back to the PCM and let us know what pin it goes to. That along with the year of the PCM would help us out. I have a 2001 fbody PCM 6 speed. I was looking at the dakota digital write up and noticed that pin 21 purple wire is a good signal for the dakota digital. Would it be better to use the pin 21 purple or the green/white? All the green/white wires are pins 9,43,50,17,29,76

I would take this to mean that it's another switched 12v source, but that doesn't make a lot of sense. I really don't know for sure what that's about. I doubt it has anything to do with the starter though.  As long as the starter turns on I'm happy. I was just wondering how the PCM knows when to send the starter signal when the key is pushed to start v.s. just on

The LS1 doesn't use an oil pressure reference. My only guess is this is wiring that's meant to connect the stock oil pressure gauge to the stock oil pressure sender.

ok cool, I just wanted to be sure that the Oil pressure sensor isn't necessary with the swap. I don't know where this wire comes out on the PCM side though lol

Lane

THANKS for replying Lane, you the man!

Offline halfspec

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 11:14:36 AM »
It's there, I just don't have a picture of it. I was going to tap the black/white under the steering column but need to figure out which one to use first. Is it one or two in the picture? As long as the starter only needs the purple signal wire and the 4 gauge from the battery I think I'm good.
Can you take a look at the above photo and tell me which black/white I should tap?[/b]

Neither. You're looking at X-04 or X-06. You need to find the connector that goes to the ignition switch called X-03. It's only got 1 black/white wire and that's the one you want.
http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=2468.0
Second picture down.

Can you take a look at the below picture? Is it the violetish/white wire I circled on the smaller b1-01 connector? Or is it on the larger connector? Also do you have to ground the black wire in the bigger connector to make the tach work?
Negative. The violet AC switch wire is in the larger of those two connectors. Position 1E
http://www.norotors.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2468.0;attach=2164
See page #4.
For the Tach I have no idea. My tach is aftermarket. Sorry.

Yeah I know you can connect it to the x-14, but I don't understand why there is a GM connector on the other end of the wire. I did trace it and there is only one yellow wire between the two connectors
Maybe somebody found a GM temp sensor that has the same resistance curve as the stock Mazda coolant sender? I dunno, that ones a question someone else is going to have to explain :)

I have a 2001 fbody PCM 6 speed. I was looking at the dakota digital write up and noticed that pin 21 purple wire is a good signal for the dakota digital. Would it be better to use the pin 21 purple or the green/white? All the green/white wires are pins 9,43,50,17,29,76[/b]
For a 01 PCM you should be able to use Pin 50 on the Red connector (dark green/white) or pin 21 on the red connector (purple/white). Again, I'm not an expert in this area because I didn't personally deal with the stock gauges, but its my understanding that the dakota is a fickled little piece of electronics and no two are setup the same. Different people have to try different VSS signals. Pin 50 is described as the VSS signal. Pin 21 is described as VSS High. Whatever works, go with that.

As long as the starter turns on I'm happy. I was just wondering how the PCM knows when to send the starter signal when the key is pushed to start v.s. just on.

The largish starter wire goes nowhere near your PCM ;)
The PCM doesn't power that wire to energize the starter's solenoid and start the car. That is handled through the RX7's starter wiring that feeds through your clutch pedal switch and the security relay (if you have one). Once you depress the clutch pedal and turn the key to start a 12v signal goes out of a black/red wire which is the wire that starter wire in your LS1 harness needs to be soldered/crimped to. That red/black wire also goes to your old ECU's yellow connector (the big one) Position 1C (see the PDF above again). It goes into the ECU connector as a small gauge wire, but if you cut back the wire loom going to the ECU 5-6" back you'll find that that black/red wire splices into a much larger black/red wire. I snipped off the little black/red spliced extension and connected my starter wire the the larger black/red wire.

Oh, and the PCM gets feedback from its sensors to know when you're starting an engine. Think about it this way. How does your engine know to start injecting fuel, send spark, etc when you push start a car? I mean, the starter isn't involved in that situation at all!
The PCM gets signals from its cam sensor, etc and knows the engine is turning so of course it wants to keep it under control so it starts delivering the essentials  8)

Lane

Offline jdm91t

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 03:40:52 AM »
Can you take a look at the above photo and tell me which black/white I should tap?[/b]

Neither. You're looking at X-04 or X-06. You need to find the connector that goes to the ignition switch called X-03. It's only got 1 black/white wire and that's the one you want.
http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=2468.0
Second picture down.

In your harness pictures it looks like the x-03 is only a 2 pin connector, but it's actually a six pin according to that pdf you posted. In that picture I actually circled the right wire, it was number 1. I apparently have a turbo timer harness that is plugged in between the ignition cylinder and the x-03 connector. That's why it looks weird in the picture, but I matched up all six wires to the pdf and its the right one. So now that's wired!!

Can you take a look at the below picture? Is it the violetish/white wire I circled on the smaller b1-01 connector? Or is it on the larger connector? Also do you have to ground the black wire in the bigger connector to make the tach work?
Negative. The violet AC switch wire is in the larger of those two connectors. Position 1E
http://www.norotors.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2468.0;attach=2164
See page #4.
For the Tach I have no idea. My tach is aftermarket. Sorry.

FOUND IT!! That is now wired too:)

Yeah I know you can connect it to the x-14, but I don't understand why there is a GM connector on the other end of the wire. I did trace it and there is only one yellow wire between the two connectors
Maybe somebody found a GM temp sensor that has the same resistance curve as the stock Mazda coolant sender? I dunno, that ones a question someone else is going to have to explain :)

I found where that yellow coolant temp wire comes out! It was tucked into the harness, but it is a loose wire intended to go from the mazda sensor to the x-14 where you wire it to the factory gauge.

I have a 2001 fbody PCM 6 speed. I was looking at the dakota digital write up and noticed that pin 21 purple wire is a good signal for the dakota digital. Would it be better to use the pin 21 purple or the green/white? All the green/white wires are pins 9,43,50,17,29,76[/b]
For a 01 PCM you should be able to use Pin 50 on the Red connector (dark green/white) or pin 21 on the red connector (purple/white). Again, I'm not an expert in this area because I didn't personally deal with the stock gauges, but its my understanding that the dakota is a fickled little piece of electronics and no two are setup the same. Different people have to try different VSS signals. Pin 50 is described as the VSS signal. Pin 21 is described as VSS High. Whatever works, go with that.

Cool, yeah I traced that extra green/white wire and it does go to pin 50 so it's the speedo output. I'll try both 21 and 50 and see what works best.

As long as the starter turns on I'm happy. I was just wondering how the PCM knows when to send the starter signal when the key is pushed to start v.s. just on.

The largish starter wire goes nowhere near your PCM ;)
The PCM doesn't power that wire to energize the starter's solenoid and start the car. That is handled through the RX7's starter wiring that feeds through your clutch pedal switch and the security relay (if you have one). Once you depress the clutch pedal and turn the key to start a 12v signal goes out of a black/red wire which is the wire that starter wire in your LS1 harness needs to be soldered/crimped to. That red/black wire also goes to your old ECU's yellow connector (the big one) Position 1C (see the PDF above again). It goes into the ECU connector as a small gauge wire, but if you cut back the wire loom going to the ECU 5-6" back you'll find that that black/red wire splices into a much larger black/red wire. I snipped off the little black/red spliced extension and connected my starter wire the the larger black/red wire.

Actually all of those wires(oil pressure, starter, and key on) are suppose to go to the driver side fuse box area. I can just wire in the factory red/black signal wire there to the purple starter wire, and it runs over to the starter on the passanger side. The oil pressure wire also connects to the factory gray/red wire connector that connected to the rotory sensor. So it all makes sense now except for that key on wire. One question, aside from the starter signal and the oil pressure wiring, I don't need anything in factory starter/alternator wiring branch right? I was going to cut all of that off to clean it up some.

Oh, and the PCM gets feedback from its sensors to know when you're starting an engine. Think about it this way. How does your engine know to start injecting fuel, send spark, etc when you push start a car? I mean, the starter isn't involved in that situation at all!
The PCM gets signals from its cam sensor, etc and knows the engine is turning so of course it wants to keep it under control so it starts delivering the essentials  8)

that totally makes sense. For some reason I thought the PCM would send the start signal to the starter.

Lane

I have almost everything figured out, Thanks big time!

Offline halfspec

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 11:23:14 AM »
Actually all of those wires(oil pressure, starter, and key on) are suppose to go to the driver side fuse box area. I can just wire in the factory red/black signal wire there to the purple starter wire, and it runs over to the starter on the passanger side. The oil pressure wire also connects to the factory gray/red wire connector that connected to the rotory sensor. So it all makes sense now except for that key on wire. One question, aside from the starter signal and the oil pressure wiring, I don't need anything in factory starter/alternator wiring branch right? I was going to cut all of that off to clean it up some.

Yeah, you can go all the way over to the drivers side fuse box for the starter signal. I was just letting you know that the factory wiring brings the starter signal over to the ECU connector in the passenger kick panel for a shorter and cleaner run, but it's your call :)
I deleted any connections that used to run to the old alternator/starter, so no, you don't need them. I believe all those connections were made through X-11/X-12 in the front harness in the engine bay. I deleted both of those connectors. I think the only think in X-11 that needs attention is that the coolant sensor wire has to be grounded or else you'll set off the buzzer in your gauge cluster.

Congrats on getting it sorted. Hope you can figure out that key on wire.

Lane

Offline jdm91t

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 03:12:47 AM »
Thanks man, I just eliminated all but those 3 wires on the driver side harness. I will probably follow them up farther and remove those two gray connectors to make the engine bay look cleaner. So I'm starting to remove some of the wiring in the engine bay, and I can't really find anything about those 4 relays on the passenger side. Here is a picture below. The FSM says they are all cooling fan relays, but it looks like the ABS wiring goes into that same harness. What do each of these relays do, and which do I need to keep if any. I am using the stand alone radiator fan harness from PEZ, and I want to keep ABS. Airbags and all the stock radiator fan wiring can go, and I also don't think I need any AC stuff since it's handled by the fbody ECU. Unless that AC request wire I spliced into at b1-01 violet wire goes through one of the relays. Also the PEZ harness needs a "blue fan power" connection, where should I get that? one of the relays has a blue wire, can I cut that and connect to the PEZ harness?

Offline halfspec

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 11:16:29 AM »
Thanks man, I just eliminated all but those 3 wires on the driver side harness. I will probably follow them up farther and remove those two gray connectors to make the engine bay look cleaner. So I'm starting to remove some of the wiring in the engine bay, and I can't really find anything about those 4 relays on the passenger side. Here is a picture below. The FSM says they are all cooling fan relays, but it looks like the ABS wiring goes into that same harness. What do each of these relays do, and which do I need to keep if any. I am using the stand alone radiator fan harness from PEZ, and I want to keep ABS. Airbags and all the stock radiator fan wiring can go, and I also don't think I need any AC stuff since it's handled by the fbody ECU. Unless that AC request wire I spliced into at b1-01 violet wire goes through one of the relays. Also the PEZ harness needs a "blue fan power" connection, where should I get that? one of the relays has a blue wire, can I cut that and connect to the PEZ harness?

In regards to the stock fan relays and wiring, the answer is Yes you can remove them all. The long answer is that you might have to tinker with your A/C wiring relays on your pez harness. The A/C switch does tie into the coil side of relay #1. That connection makes the A/C switch behave a certain way. Severe that connection and it behaves differently.

This is the way the A/C relays are wired when that connection to relay #1 is in tact:

This is the way the A/C relays are wired when the connection to relay #1 is severed:

The relay on the right is what you may have to tinker with. Pin 85 and Pin 87/87a switch around...

There are ways around this change but I don't know how Pez is doing his harnesses these days (never seen one in person), so it's just something you should be aware of. It's possible the removal won't change anything, but worst case scenario, it's good for you to know where to look if things go south.

That fan controller will hook to the blue wire leading to the relays in your pics. That blue wire runs to a 60A Fan fuse in X-02, so you can tap into it anywhere along that path.

ABS is completely separate from the fan wiring. Yes, it does run through the front harness, but it doesn't power anything in the fan circuit and shouldn't be involved with that branch in the harness at all. The main ABS solenoid is powered by a Black/Blue wire that runs through the front harness. It's axillary wire  smaller White/Red wire.

Lane

Offline ls3_rob

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 12:11:39 PM »
this thread is actually quite informative.

so let me get this straight the harness will use a "key on" and a "starter signal wire"?
07 tl type s daily
93 rx7 ls3

Offline halfspec

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 12:45:36 PM »
this thread is actually quite informative.

so let me get this straight the harness will use a "key on" and a "starter signal wire"?

They "key on" wire is still something we're debating about. To me key on and switched 12v is the same thing, but there's got to be a reason they're separate wires so I can't do anything but guess as to what it is.

Pez modified and stock LS1 harnesses have a large gauge wire that leads to the starter solenoid. The other end of that wire must be connected to the RX7's starter circuit which runs from the ignition switch, through the security relay (if you have one), then through the clutch pedal switch. It's a red/black wire that can either be tapped at the drivers kick panel or the passenger kick panel.

Lane

Offline ls3_rob

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 01:06:26 PM »
Hey lane thanks for clearing that up

I actually am using a gmpp ls3 wiring kit with my ls3.

I have 1 pink wire for ignition and no starter wire.

so as far as mounting the wiring to the starter all I know is from battery to fuse box to starter to alternator

07 tl type s daily
93 rx7 ls3

Offline jdm91t

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 03:30:54 AM »

In regards to the stock fan relays and wiring, the answer is Yes you can remove them all. The long answer is that you might have to tinker with your A/C wiring relays on your pez harness. The A/C switch does tie into the coil side of relay #1. That connection makes the A/C switch behave a certain way. Severe that connection and it behaves differently.

This is the way the A/C relays are wired when that connection to relay #1 is in tact:

This is the way the A/C relays are wired when the connection to relay #1 is severed:

The relay on the right is what you may have to tinker with. Pin 85 and Pin 87/87a switch around...

There are ways around this change but I don't know how Pez is doing his harnesses these days (never seen one in person), so it's just something you should be aware of. It's possible the removal won't change anything, but worst case scenario, it's good for you to know where to look if things go south.

That fan controller will hook to the blue wire leading to the relays in your pics. That blue wire runs to a 60A Fan fuse in X-02, so you can tap into it anywhere along that path.

ABS is completely separate from the fan wiring. Yes, it does run through the front harness, but it doesn't power anything in the fan circuit and shouldn't be involved with that branch in the harness at all. The main ABS solenoid is powered by a Black/Blue wire that runs through the front harness. It's axillary wire  smaller White/Red wire.

Lane

Thanks again Lane, your a life saver. I connected the blue fan wire to the pez harness and removed relays 2-4, but kept relay 1 where the AC request wire goes through. For anyone curious relay #1 is the #1 in my picture above and does not unclip from the harness. Also it is b2-01, wire colors violet, black/yellow, yellow/white, blue.

Random question. My PEZ Front AC fan harness did not come with the mounting bracket for the fuse box. Is this something I can buy somewhere or did he make those custom? I have not been able to get a hold of him to ask. In this sticky second picture down http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=5167.0

Offline jdm91t

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 03:34:16 AM »
Hey lane thanks for clearing that up

I actually am using a gmpp ls3 wiring kit with my ls3.

I have 1 pink wire for ignition and no starter wire.

so as far as mounting the wiring to the starter all I know is from battery to fuse box to starter to alternator

You need a starter signal. You need to add a wire that goes from the black/red FD starter signal wire on the driver's side harness to the GM starter for the "key start" signal that activates the starter.
http://www.ls1fc.com/pdfs/Harness%20hookup%20FD.pdf
Check out this guide, I have been going by it. Also I'm planning to make a build thread soon and put all of the connections I made into it.