June 23, 2018, 11:56:53 AM

Author Topic: FD Explorer 8.8 Diff Kit  (Read 74195 times)

Offline dregg100

• Pre-Staging
    • View Profile
Re: Announcing FD Explorer 8.8 Diff Kit
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 08:49:40 PM »
Im in.  PM sent

Offline Exidous

• Staged
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 05:04:07 AM »
I'd be interested in a couple pics or an explanation of how it mounts and if it replaces the rear subframe.
94 BB SBE LS1 Full Mamo top, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and another custom dual 2.5" stainless exhaust. Too loud, need bigger muffler....

Offline Rayminator

• Supporting Member
  • Staged
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 06:37:08 AM »
Glad to see this kit taking place. Several years ago, when I brought this up,
(Explorer / FD.)  combination to others, I was Poo Poo'ed, since the Cobra kit was already out there, and available.

Offline dregg100

• Pre-Staging
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 11:10:06 AM »
Apparently these guys arent interested in selling anything.  I pmed them a week ago about it. Ready to buy for a high hp build.  No response.

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 01:48:33 PM »
Ronin sells plenty of stuff.   This isn't any of their day jobs, give them a little time and I'm sure they'll get back to you.     Do realize this is still in prototyping phase, you're probably not picking up up next week.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2013 Focus ST3 - Stage 1 BPU

Offline frijolee

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2013, 02:25:17 AM »
Apparently these guys arent interested in selling anything.  I pmed them a week ago about it. Ready to buy for a high hp build.  No response.

Slow down fella. 

We got your note (among others) and we thank you for your interest.  We'll be sending info to prospective testers when we're ready.  To be fair, when we announced this on April 22nd, I said we were about 6 weeks out from shipping.  That's still on track, but it means we've still got a month to go. 

We're still working out fitment details for our first article and I want this thing to be complete as we can get it when we start posting pictures of it.  That's the point where we make offers and ask folks to put in payments, not before. 

-Joel
LS2 stroker FC, Mandeville big brakes, widebody, etc
Build thread:  http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1274.0
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline mefarri

• Ye Olde OCD Woodshop
  • Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 10:14:35 AM »
I'm excited to see the final product.  You know Justin has expressed interest in doing the same thing.
"I'm not sure what your intent was because I don't speak "dumbshit", but next time, start your own thread. "

-Jimlab

"Otherwise it looks like something I can build over a weekend, if I spent the first day watching TV."

-Blake motherfucking McBride

Offline frijolee

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2013, 12:53:57 PM »
I'm excited to see the final product.  You know Justin has expressed interest in doing the same thing.

Since we were already making our own halfshafts and the like, moving to the FD only makes sense.   We've had this in work for quite some time now so when Justin posted that we was thinking about a new rear subframe we called him up to chat it out (I think I had one of the first posts in his thread). 

The two of us decided that what we were offering/working on was different enough to let the market decide what they want to run.  We're focusing on explorer setups only while Justin has mostly been working on Cobra parts.   Justin is talking about a full subframe replacement (suspension pickups etc) which is not the same as what we're offering as a bolt-in add-on to the subframe.  That said, if you can have a 100% bolt in solution that solves a few headaches folks have had in the past, it'll be Justin's call whether he still wants to pursue the R&D associated with a full subframe.   

All the Ronin guys know Justin personally and we've have been looking for ways to work together that makes sense for both of us.  For instance, Ronin is now ordering engine mounting kits from Samberg in batches and we'll be including our pedestals and powdercoating parts so users have less things to source.   We already have our first Samberg subframe coated so look for pictures and details on that soon.  We'll also be marketing things for him on the club since sponsorship is quite expensive over there and we're already the title guys on the v8 powered forum.

More info is coming, but so you know...

-Joel
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 02:55:43 PM »
Glad to hear you guys are all working together, I try to push both of your products as hard as I can over there, without overstepping my boundaries as a mod.  ;)
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2013 Focus ST3 - Stage 1 BPU

Offline mefarri

• Ye Olde OCD Woodshop
  • Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 10:57:57 PM »
Ah that makes sense.  I love this forum.  If this solves the issues in high HP cars and I can run some DSS axles if I so choose, I'd probably lean towards yall's honestly.  A few pounds is not worth the extra $ for me, plus if the explorer really is stronger, that's nice.  Do you have any nice pics of the differences? 
"I'm not sure what your intent was because I don't speak "dumbshit", but next time, start your own thread. "

-Jimlab

"Otherwise it looks like something I can build over a weekend, if I spent the first day watching TV."

Offline Thor 18

• Pre-Staging
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 10:59:28 PM »
If I manage to bring my car over to SoCal in the next month or so I'm definitely interested in this.

Offline stbrn19

• Staged
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 01:07:21 AM »
Any updates on time lines or testing?  Looking forward to hearing more.

Offline stbrn19

• Staged
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2013, 04:04:36 AM »
Mmmmk, well good luck to you and your venture...

Offline frijolee

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2013, 03:33:31 AM »
Stbrn, good luck to you as well.  When you get into your project, you might find that sometimes things take longer than you plan, particularly when you're inventing something new.  We did see your post, but the updated I wanted to write took a little longer than expected.  Apologies but it happens, particularly when you have multiple irons in the fire.

Status, for the curious...

-We made it about 75% of the way through our final fitment mockup and realized that what we really wanted to be showing folks was a first article part, not a mock up with all the rough cut ugliness associated.  As such, I went ahead and modeled the full thing in CAD (it was piece meal before this point), did the stress analysis, and built a last few test parts (not full assemblies, but just test pieces) to verify fit.

-We've tested and measured about six different ways and everything we check says we have it nailed so we made the call and jumped straight into the first batch of production run pieces.  Brass tacks, here's what the design looks like:

-There's a few key twists to the Ronin version of the mount.  Notably, the main support bars run fore/aft not left right.  This was the key detail that allowed us to mount from the top preserving exhaust clearance and optimizing the load path. 

-It's 100% bolt in.  The front mount is supported by 6 distinct factory mounting positions, 2 where the rear seatbelts mounts and 4 down low where a brace connected.  This area on the FD's body already utilizes factory doubler plates and it has quite a bit of contour resulting in geometric stiffness.  Either of the lower brace points can be used for jacking no problem and are quite stiff.

-At the back end, we're mounting from the rear similar to our FC design, except in this case the mount will form a full ring and sandwhich BETWEEN the cover and the diff housing.  This places the diff about 5/8" further aft than we'd be able to otherwise.

-Rear mounts will use OEM FD bushings so you'll have your choice of factory, poly, delrin, pretty much whatever you want to run.  We'll be providing longer hardware so that the bolts that run through the factory bushings will also capture our fore/aft bend tubes on the outside of the subframe.

-We already announced the fact were basing this on the 2006-2010 Ford Explorer.  Not only is this diff much easier to come by it's notably stronger than the cobra parts.  In this case I'll let the pictures do the talking.  The front mounts tie in with aluminum webbing that over an inch thick.  I looks like they took the 02-05 explorer housing and added a fully redundant mount (and we've had no failures running those in FC's at some pretty healthy horsepower levels.)

Here's cobra (note the tiny front mounts)

Here's the explorer:

Note, depending on which year of explorer you end up with you may find that Ford changed the rear cover design.  In a few explorer pics above the cover is the same as the 02-05 setup (rib heavy).  Here's the comparison with what the never cover looks like (cover on the left has already had its ears cut off).

So where does that leave us?

-First batch of production ready pieces have all been cut.

-The first batch of the new halfshaft design have been delivered.

-CV boots are in stock.

-Unless we run across some production difficulties not expected, costs are planned to mirror the FC setup:  $1149 + $50 shipping.  That includes halfshafts and CV boots, but you'll still need a drive shaft, rear bushings, and donor parts.  All in, $1800 will be a reasonable budget depending on how fancy a DS you go for and how cheaply you can score a diff.

-Mike and I worked out the details for our tester offer so those should go out this week.  There will be a limit to the number of testers so if you want in for a discount, it's going to be first come first serve once the announcement goes out.

-Biggest detail remaining is to build the first article and the weld fixture to be sure we can replicate the process.  Due to some scheduling conflicts that's going to occur about three weeks from now, so the earliest kits could ship will be about a month.

Stay tuned.  It's taking just a little longer than expected but we think it'll be worth the wait.  Just the ability to run your choice of factory cat back exhausts is going to be a big cost saver.

Joel (for the Ronin guys)

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 03:39:16 AM by frijolee »
www.roninspeedworks.com

Offline mefarri

• Ye Olde OCD Woodshop
  • Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2013, 10:16:57 AM »
Thanks for the update.  I'm looking forward to seeing it installed.  OEM rear diff bushings were a good idea.  The one thing that hopped out at me was the sandwiching of the rear mount.  Do you anticipate diff cover leaks?  Why are you trying to move it that much farther back anyway?  Just curious.  Right now this is looking like what I'll end up going with.  Good job.  Now I just gotta see it hold up on some 700whp+ cars.   :cheers:  It should fix the problem of pulling the washers through though right?

-Jimlab