April 29, 2024, 05:30:55 PM

Author Topic: Lame '89 GTUS drift car build....  (Read 36169 times)

Offline Heffe

Lame '89 GTUS drift car build....
« on: January 03, 2013, 01:53:50 PM »
Ok, well here is my build attempt. I've been into drifting since '05. Since then I've had only 240sx drift cars s13/s14, back in April I decided to make a change.

Here is a video of me(in car s13 240sx 317rwhp) and another local drifter(Jeremy Lowe) on a practice day at the local oval track getting some tandem action.

Bought an 1989 Rx7 GTUs as my starting chassis. No sunroof, manual windows, 5-lug, and turbo 2 brakes.

Seems like a proper chassis to start with, so here is what I've done so far.

I don't mind opinions, like it or not, just try to be respectful with what you say, on to the pics/updates.

I'll make it kind of a picture book with small descriptions of parts ect.

The day I got it.

Begining tear down.

Dry Ice magic.

Got tired of looking at the wheels that came on it, so I put the set from my last car on it(MB Battles 17x9.5 +15 offset)

Motorset '99 Camaro LS1

Mount kit (grannys speed shop)

Wasn't happy with the condition of the doors, so I found a couple clean ones(red) at the local junk yard.

Test fitting mount kit.

Tranny mount not installed yet, but looks like it's where it should be.

Headers came in(1 3/4"), got them from jagsthatrun.com.

Headers installed.

Ordered some coilovers (megan racing track series)12k front 10k rear since I won't be able to run a front swaybar.

Went ahead and installed them, not adjusted yet.

I also scrapped my stock hood, found a really clean turbo 2 alum. hood, also scrapped the stock wing and replaced it with the stock "sport" wing for a more subtle look.

Installed the full energy suspension bushing kit.

I brought the car over to a friends shop, I put the new t2 hood on the car for the ride over, kinda excited just to see the hood on the car haha.

We took the drivetrain back out to make some room for the headers,  and sensor on the rear of the intake, and remove the stock tranny mounts.

Did a quick pressure washer rinse of the engine bay while the motor was out. Put the motor back in and bolted up the tranny crossmember.

Starting on the wiring mess.

EGR block off plate(delrin).

I wanted to clean out the gas tank prior to installing fuel stuff because the car was sitting for 6 years prior to me buying it, upon inspecting it, decided it was better to just find a replacement tank. Found a local tank for $50, and before installing it, my buddy talked me into letting him make some solid subframe/diff mounts out of nylon/aluminum plate he had laying around at the shop(didn't take much for me to agree to that haha). Here are some pics of them.

New clutch line.

And now for some bad news.....

Went to bolt up the driveshaft after finishing the tranny mount and it only goes in about 2" and then hits an imaginary wall. Closer inspection reveals that the shaft is not centered in the hole on the rear of the cover of the tranny, stopping the driveshaft from going in all the way. After taking apart the tranny, we are thinking the previous car this motorset came from might have been in some kind of accident, or dropped, tweaking/bending the rear tranny cover about 1-1.5mm to the left. All the internals look brand new clean, does look like a small amount of water got in there, but nothing that would cause the issue I am having. Trying to find a local friend with a t56 to try the back cover theory before spending the $200 on a new one.

Well, found out it was as we thought, this little guy was bent about 1mm to the left. A friend of mine happened to have a junk t56 laying around for spare parts and sold me the tail housing, it fixed the problem.

After seeing the headers mounted with tranny mount installed, we were dreading how to route the exhaust over the tranny mount as they suggest to do it. Best solution we could think of was just to fab up a new mount with arches to make life easy to route exhaust.

After making solid mounts for the rear diff and subframe, we decided it would be beneficial to make the front diff mount solid as well, and while the diff was out, may as well reinforce it a bit with some scrap aluminum we had laying around, overkill I assume, but damn it looks sweet.

Oil pressure sending unit adapter.

Fitment with header installed(not nearly as close as it looks, pic is decieving)

Temporary shifter until seats are installed and can fine tune what size I'd like the shifter to be permanantly.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 07:08:45 AM by Heffe »

Offline WannaBeFast

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • Single and Looking
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
Re: Lame '89 GTUS drift car build....
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 02:31:27 PM »
That's a lot of work. Good for you. Everything looks nice so far.

Offline gc3

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 02:53:34 PM »
jealous of how far back your shifter ended up with the granny's setup.
I used the rear holes but the shifter was still too far forwards for the stock opening.

Offline frijolee

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 03:32:55 PM »
Did you reinforce the subframe where the diff's front mount ties in?  That tends to be the weak point with solid mounted rear end setups.
LS2 stroker FC, Mandeville big brakes, widebody, etc
Build thread:  http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1274.0
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline digitalsolo

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 07:44:33 PM »
Nice work, I like the machining work.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Gen V LT4/TR6060, upper/lower pullies, headers, tune.
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Stock...ish.

Offline Heffe

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 12:39:14 AM »
jealous of how far back your shifter ended up with the granny's setup.
I used the rear holes but the shifter was still too far forwards for the stock opening.
I'm really curious why there would be a difference because I used the rear holes also, and as you can see even if I used the front ones I'm pretty sure the shifter would still be in the stock opening.

Did you reinforce the subframe where the diff's front mount ties in?  That tends to be the weak point with solid mounted rear end setups.

No... I didn't think about that until after it was all assembled again. It's ok though, full drivetrain will be coming back out prior to paint, so that'll be a good time to take out the subframe again and make it man-spec also haha.

Thanks for the kind words guys, I'm really excited how it's coming along so far.

Offline DRFT_HRD

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 04:27:24 AM »
I also enjoy sliding cars at right angles and misusing tires, nice build so far man.

Offline gc3

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 09:37:24 AM »
I'm really curious why there would be a difference because I used the rear holes also, and as you can see even if I used the front ones I'm pretty sure the shifter would still be in the stock opening.
from what i've read and seen, Granny's jig for their parts are pretty aweful, or used incorrectly, or not used at all...

Offline Heffe

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 11:17:13 AM »
from what i've read and seen, Granny's jig for their parts are pretty aweful, or used incorrectly, or not used at all...

Wow, first I've heard of that, prolly wouldn't have went with them if I knew that was the case. I must say I got lucky because I'm really pleased with how well it fit, my complaint was only with the placement of the tranny cross member.

Offline JB750il

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 05:17:14 AM »
What hose did you use to go from the lower rad to the thermostat ?

Offline Andrew R

• Supporting Member
  • Launching!
  • Superunnatural
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 07:58:10 AM »
Looking good!

Offline ilovemybike

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 08:11:06 AM »
Some sweet fab work going on here, I'm interested in your steering and suspension setup. It's nice to see something besides a 240 sliding
86 Comanche LM7 Prerunnerish
88 RX7 LM7 T56 Ronin 8.8 IRS
84 Mercedes 300D Circle track coilovers
85 Merkur XR4Ti M50 HX35 big tires

Offline Heffe

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 10:32:48 AM »
What hose did you use to go from the lower rad to the thermostat ?

Stock '99 camaro ss hose, it fits pretty good with some trimming. If you are going to use it, I'd suggest getting a spring to put inside it to prevent it from kinking or collapsing.

Offline N2v8fcs

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 08:44:25 PM »
nice work !
Is that a T2 Diff?
:drive:
new personal best 11.45 @ 120 mph N/A car...9.11 @152 mph for the turbo car.

1987 FC  355 SBC, T-5, T2 rear        retired 5-4-11
1991 FC  383 SBC, sold to Dad. Now 5.3 w 76mm turbo, G-force T-5, 8.8 Ronin rear 
1990 FC  370 CID 6.0 w 88mm turbo, Powerglide, Ronin 8.8 w 3.15 gears

Offline Heffe

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 11:18:52 AM »
nice work !
Is that a T2 Diff?

Yep, T2 diff.