April 16, 2024, 05:33:55 PM

Author Topic: FD corvette fuel filter easy setup guide  (Read 10509 times)

Offline markfluko

FD corvette fuel filter easy setup guide
« on: September 24, 2012, 09:49:23 PM »
I recently finished my fuel setup and have been seeing some posts with people having questions on setting up an FD with the corvette filter. I know I had questions when I was working on my fuel setup, and with the help of this forum I was able to find information scattered in different threads.  My disclaimer is that I have not actually finished my car yet so I haven't used the setup yet, but I don't see why it shouldn't work.

I am using the stock fuel tank and use OEM hardline. I am using an in tank Aeromotive 340 stealth that I rewired to 10 gauge wiring. I am not using the charcoal canister either.

My parts list  is all from summit and is as follows:

AER-FBM1012   6AN STRAIGHT HOSE END                                                   x 7
AER-FBM4032   FITTING REUSABLE ALUMN 90DEG                                      x 1
AER-FCU0610   STARLITE HOSE 6                                                                x 1
EAR-165056ERL   ALUM TUBE ADPT -6 MALE AN TO 5                              x 4
LNG-47200   ADEL 9 16 PAK OF 10                                                          x 1
RUS-640850   EFI TO 6 AN FITTING                                                           x 1
RUS-640860   FUEL RAIL TO -6AN                                                             x 1
RUS-640940   FUEL RAIL ADAPTER FITTING                                               x 1
WIX-33737   LINE FUEL                                                                           x 1

The total comes to about $270 + shipping. I should also say that the OEM fuel rail I am using already had a -6 AN male on it, so I didn't need that connection, but if you do need that it should be just another 640860 I believe.

It shouldn't matter what intank fuel pump you use, but I rewired mine with parts from McMaster. That parts list is:

2 ft of 7304k173
2 ft of 7304k171
1 pack of 69525k17
7807k13       x  1

This was just under $20.

Here is a diagram of how everything will be laid out.

This is what it should look like when you get everything. I had about 8 inches of fuel line leftover, so be careful and don't waste any of it.

installing the fittings is easy, everything should just snap onto the FPR.

I cut the bulges off the end of the fuel tank cover and attached the fittings.

Drilled out the hole to fit the McMaster bulkhead

Bulkhead for 10 gauge wiring

ditched the 16 gauge wiring and , installed the new wires and terminals in the plug that came with the fuel pump

Ready to put back on the fuel tank

Checked area for FPR, used a bolt that is long enough to go through the hole that already exists there to mount it.

installed the feed and return side

Lines made up to lead to the OEM hardline and engine

some mounting points for the fuel line clamps

installed the fittings on the hardline and mounted

If anyone wants to add anything or has any better options to add to this then go ahead.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:55:58 PM by markfluko »

Offline digitalsolo

Re: FD corvette fuel filter easy setup guide
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 10:02:31 PM »
Nice writeup, thanks for posting it!  :)
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Gen V LT4/TR6060, upper/lower pullies, headers, tune.
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Stock...ish.

Offline Shavel

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 10:03:26 PM »
Nice work.  I like what you did with the electrical. 
Ant

Offline 7StarrsSin

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 01:22:30 AM »
Nice!
:drive: :poke: :gruffy:

Offline Still_Ridin_Clean

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 10:31:22 PM »
thanks for the PM

Offline Gunnytron

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 01:44:36 AM »
That is proper submersible fuel line right?
http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=12880.0
FD, LS1 running 220 3.90 Trickflow heads, Comp Ultra-gold Arc 1.72 Rockers, 7.550 BTR Pushrods, BTR Stage II NA Cam 227/234 .614"/.576" 113+2, ARP Head Bolts, BTR Platinum Springs, Ported FAST 90, NW 90mm TB, FAST 60lb Injectors, Textralia Clutch/Flywheel, T56, Cobra 8.8, 31 spline, trac-loc 3.55 Diff, Holley HP EFI, Racelogic TC.

Offline markfluko

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 07:13:17 PM »
When I spoke to Aeromotive last they said that the hose provided is submersible even though some people have said it isn't? So I took their word for it this time, but I guess time will tell.

Offline Todds94FD

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 01:44:11 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something but why did you cut off the end of the stock fuel pump connection spot and replace it with the rubber hose?
The Aeromotive stealth pump with the sock is the same length as the stock fuel pump.  It should be a direct plug and play with the fuel pump itself.  Now wiring is a different story though.

Maybe I'm just missing something.  Anyone?
94 RX7 (build in progress)
EVO 9: 750HP (SOLD)
135i: 455 TQ (Sold to feed my FD habit)

Offline markfluko

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 02:25:57 PM »
Are you referring to this picture?

On the aeromotive pump is a nipple that is the output of the pump(where the rubber hose connects). If I didn't have the rubber hose it would just be 2 male ends.

Offline 7StarrsSin

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 02:29:28 PM »
Thanks for the write up! It wasn't totally clear to me before!
:drive: :poke: :gruffy:

Offline Todds94FD

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 02:57:00 PM »
Are you referring to this picture?

On the aeromotive pump is a nipple that is the output of the pump(where the rubber hose connects). If I didn't have the rubber hose it would just be 2 male ends.

Yes that picture exactly.
Maybe the 94 fuel pump assembly is different than what you have.  Off the pump is male and off the FD's fuel pump assembly side is female (at the end of the metal feed line where you have the hose connected to)

I'll try to post some pic.s of mine if it will help
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 03:04:31 PM by Todds94FD »

Offline Todds94FD

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 03:00:57 PM »
I was also just told by Aeromotive that the corvette FPR will be over run by their pump.  They said a 255 would probably be fine but this pump puts out to much for the Corvettes FPR to handle.
Can anyone verify this?  I may have to send back the FPR and get an aftermarket one.

Offline Todds94FD

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 04:39:50 PM »
Here's the pictures of my pump hanger

This is stock with the pump pulled off.  You can see the female flared end.

This is the stealth pump.  The light brown adapter comes right off the stock pump.  The only thing you don't see is the o-ring that's still in the stock female end.  All you do is put the o-ring above the adapter and push back into place.

It appears either way should work and the way yours is would definitely eliminate any leak.
I was just curious

Offline markfluko

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 06:12:46 PM »
Well if mine was as clean as yours I might have done that  haha, but if you look at mine again it was rusted and when I pulled it that plastic piece was dried out and cracked.

Regarding the corvette fpr being over flowed, I could find no evidence of this searching some corvette forums and ls1 forums, and I have also started my car a couple of times with this setup and everything appears fine. I haven't actually driven the car yet so I am not sure... Since the corvette fpr doesn't connect to a vacuum line I am not exactly sure what is happening inside it. My guess is the Aeromotive rep might have been trying to get you to buy their FPR,  but who knows, I am interested in how much flow it can handle.

Found an answer good enough for me... ~550+ hp...with someone running a dual pump setup. I can't find which pumps they were using unfortunately, still would think dual pumps of anything would be high flow rate though.

They said "I just had the car dynoed with this C5 fuel regulator, and it made 579.4/552. My tuner said he's had Vette's dyno over 800rwhp with this same regulator."

You might find this interesting http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=28447
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 10:18:46 PM by markfluko »

Offline Todds94FD

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 06:32:47 PM »
Great!  Thanks for the response.  I'll give it a try myself and see what happens.  I've still got a few months before this build will be done though.  Like I said originally, I just wasn't sure if you had done it because the stock o-ring couldn't handle the extra flow, etc, etc.

Yes, I'd say yours does look a little rustier than mine  ;) lol  I really did get lucky with how clean this FD is.