October 21, 2014, 11:08:02 AM

Author Topic: Miller Diversion 180 or Syncrowave 200????  (Read 1330 times)

Offline ToEachTheirOwn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • In The Bleach Box
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • ToEachTheirOwn has no influence.
    • View Profile
Miller Diversion 180 or Syncrowave 200????
« on: July 11, 2012, 10:27:59 AM »
Buying an intro tig here in the next week or two and i have narrowed it down to the Diversion 180 and the Syncrowave 200, i can't afford anything more at this time.

The diversion seems like a better machine and cheaper but the sync has a few more features and the option for water cooling.

Diversion is smaller and i have limited space.

I was thinking about it some more and I dont think either have a method for adjusting cleaning (weld pool focus)

Any suggestions or thoughts? Oh, I don't ride red. I have a miller 135 and a 252 and both have been a dream, so I'd like to stick with the blue machine. I would also buy pre-owned if I could get a better machine.

Offline zbrown

• Top Fuel
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • zbrown is awe-inspiring!zbrown is awe-inspiring!zbrown is awe-inspiring!zbrown is awe-inspiring!zbrown is awe-inspiring!zbrown is awe-inspiring!zbrown is awe-inspiring!zbrown is awe-inspiring!zbrown is awe-inspiring!zbrown is awe-inspiring!zbrown is awe-inspiring!zbrown is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
Re: Miller Diversion 180 or Syncrowave 200????
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 10:43:41 AM »
personally syncowave hands down
8.71@163 - - e50

Offline V8-rx7

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Staged
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • V8-rx7 barely matters.V8-rx7 barely matters.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 11:06:12 AM »
Definately the synchro wave, the diversion is nice but has no real adjustment. The synchro wave is definately a step up from the diversion.
86 RX7 Under reconstruction Twin Turbo LS1/T56 8.8 IRS  
93 RX7 MB Touring Stock Rotary with some bolt ons

Offline Speedfab

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Top Fuel
  • Reputation Power: 68
  • Speedfab is awe-inspiring!Speedfab is awe-inspiring!Speedfab is awe-inspiring!Speedfab is awe-inspiring!Speedfab is awe-inspiring!Speedfab is awe-inspiring!Speedfab is awe-inspiring!Speedfab is awe-inspiring!Speedfab is awe-inspiring!Speedfab is awe-inspiring!Speedfab is awe-inspiring!Speedfab is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 01:54:58 PM »
You'll like the Sync better.  I'll say this though, look through craigslist, ebay, and equipment trader type stuff and see if you can find an old Lincoln Square Wave 175 - it is stone simple, near indestructible, and can do anything a hobbyist welder (and even most shops) will ever need.  I've had one for 20 years, I do this shit for a living, and most days it's the only welder that gets switched on.

unless you own a turbo ls9 rx7 you do not know what the fuck you are talking about.

Offline Copper280z

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Launching!
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Copper280z might someday be someone...Copper280z might someday be someone...Copper280z might someday be someone...Copper280z might someday be someone...
  • Fuck yeah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 04:34:48 PM »
I've got the Diversion 180, the AC settings are pretty good for clean aluminum, but can be tough if it's dirty or oily. DC is DC. The 110v option is nice, but I only used it until I ran 220v to my bench.

I got mine for ~1200 used. It's a decent machine, but I'd probably go sync 200 unless there was something that made it impossible like electrical issues(underground etc) or a NEED for portability.

I keep wishing for a smaller torch and more flexible hose, not really any convenient option for me.
-Bob
'77 280z - Boost - 12.6 at 108
'87 Rx7 - 5.3/t56 - 13.0 at 107

Offline gnx7

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Top Fuel
  • Reputation Power: 38
  • gnx7 is leading the good life!gnx7 is leading the good life!gnx7 is leading the good life!gnx7 is leading the good life!gnx7 is leading the good life!gnx7 is leading the good life!gnx7 is leading the good life!gnx7 is leading the good life!gnx7 is leading the good life!gnx7 is leading the good life!gnx7 is leading the good life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 05:25:37 PM »
I have a Diversion 165 and it does everything I need.  I got a bad bottle when I first got the unit and it welded like sh*t.  Once I exchanged the bottle it has worked awesome.  Get the foot pedal option for sure.  It takes up very little space and only weighs something like 50lbs (without bottle)!

If you have the $$$$ get the syncrowave though.   I just wanted something to do exhaust systems and intake piping for the most part.   I have access to a beefy MIG for other needs.

'93 FD: 441ci/AllPro LS7 heads/intake en route, T56 Mag, 8.8" IRS, Ohlins, Racing Brake BBK, HolleyHP EFI, DavisTech TC  10.32@137mph cats/full exhaust. 165mph 1/2 mile (old times LS7)
'93 FD 438 ARE dry sump LS7, Gforce GSR dogbox, 8.8" T2R rear, JRZ triples, Brembos, CCWs, 2500lbs/600hp+ 1:35.5 at Laguna Seca best SOLD!
`69 Chevelle: alum 5.3, GTS76 turbo, ChiseledPerf A/W, T56 Magnum,Ford 35 spline 9".CTS-V interior. 800rwhp+ goal
old yellar....440rwhp/FD sold but not forgotten: http://www.ponycars.net/scc.htm
***GoPro Hero3+ HD black Cameras $399 shipped to the lower 48 states*** PM me for norotors member discount
I rebuild T56's and sell new T56 Magnum transmissions and McLeod clutch & related trans parts/rebuild kits.

Offline ToEachTheirOwn

• In The Bleach Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 07:58:47 PM »
Thanks for all the input everyone. Seems like the sync is the way I'm going to go. I went down to New Bedford Welding supply today to get a price, $2500 and they are in stock. Im going to search around a little to see if anyone has a demo unit to help with the price.

Thanks again.

If anyone has anything else to add, please do.

Offline ToEachTheirOwn

• In The Bleach Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 11:04:28 PM »
Boom!!!!!!

Used $1800
Included: dual flow regs for purging and flow
pedestal grinder with diamond wheel for shaping tungsten
several packages of tungsten
2 air tight cases for filler rod
tons of steel filler rod, some stain and alum
80 cu ft tank, purchased right out, not leased
oem regulator
cart for welder and tank
variety of cups, sleeves and stub setup for torch

Machine has a total of 6 hrs 8 mins on it.

This guy's shop was beautiful, so after firing it up there and testing it, I was confident it was a great machine.

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Top Fuel
  • Reputation Power: 256
  • digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 12:08:41 AM »
Great deal, nice purchase.   Me = jealous.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1965 Mustang Coupe - Project Car

Offline mefarri

• Ye Olde OCD Woodshop
  • Top Fuel
  • Reputation Power: 58
  • mefarri is awe-inspiring!mefarri is awe-inspiring!mefarri is awe-inspiring!mefarri is awe-inspiring!mefarri is awe-inspiring!mefarri is awe-inspiring!mefarri is awe-inspiring!mefarri is awe-inspiring!mefarri is awe-inspiring!mefarri is awe-inspiring!mefarri is awe-inspiring!mefarri is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 01:27:12 AM »
I hate your face. That's awesome.
"I'm not sure what your intent was because I don't speak "dumbshit", but next time, start your own thread. "

-Jimlab

"Otherwise it looks like something I can build over a weekend, if I spent the first day watching TV."

-Blake motherfucking McBride

Offline Copper280z

• Launching!
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Copper280z might someday be someone...Copper280z might someday be someone...Copper280z might someday be someone...Copper280z might someday be someone...
  • Fuck yeah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 07:11:46 AM »
That's a pretty good deal, I think you'll like it!
-Bob
'77 280z - Boost - 12.6 at 108
'87 Rx7 - 5.3/t56 - 13.0 at 107

Offline Speedfab

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Top Fuel
  • Reputation Power: 68
  • Speedfab is awe-inspiring!Speedfab is awe-inspiring!Speedfab is awe-inspiring!Speedfab is awe-inspiring!Speedfab is awe-inspiring!Speedfab is awe-inspiring!Speedfab is awe-inspiring!Speedfab is awe-inspiring!Speedfab is awe-inspiring!Speedfab is awe-inspiring!Speedfab is awe-inspiring!Speedfab is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 10:44:05 AM »
Strong work.   :cheers:

unless you own a turbo ls9 rx7 you do not know what the fuck you are talking about.

Offline ToEachTheirOwn

• In The Bleach Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 09:16:28 PM »
First time out with the new welder and my first try at it in almost 3-4 years. Much to learn and much more practice needed. But I'm very happy. I only did those two pieces.

2% thoriated
electrode neg
100 amps

Im right handed. torch in the right and filler in the left. Is that what most right handed people do? I need to practice keeping the torch steady. I dipped the tungsten twice.

Need more filler

Offline CKxx

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Staged
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • CKxx has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 01:12:53 AM »
You'll like the Sync better.  I'll say this though, look through craigslist, ebay, and equipment trader type stuff and see if you can find an old Lincoln Square Wave 175 - it is stone simple, near indestructible, and can do anything a hobbyist welder (and even most shops) will ever need.  I've had one for 20 years, I do this shit for a living, and most days it's the only welder that gets switched on.

Can you take a look and tell me if this is the welder you are describing?  This one is actually pretty close to me.

OOPS.  Forgot link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lincoln-Square-Wave-Tig-Welder-175-L8118-4-S903-/180919748683?pt=BI_Welders&hash=item2a1fa8484b

« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 11:51:16 AM by CKxx »

Offline karsty

• Staged
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • karsty has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 11:04:14 AM »
Nice machine!

Tags: