December 20, 2014, 02:11:44 AM

Author Topic: Soooo... LS swap potential of the new FRS, 86, BRZ (all the same shit)  (Read 4054 times)

Offline 383mazda

• Supporting Member
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Staged
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • 383mazda barely matters.383mazda barely matters.
    • View Profile
--Rx7's, Rx8's, Miatas,  S2000's,  Z-Cars (240, 350, 370...)  240sx's 300zx.... Why don't the Japanese just offer a non engine / tranny option for their new cars  :D

Maybe they could even partner with GM and offer an LS crate motor, haha. 

New Suby looks very good BTW!
'86 GXL
For now: 383ci, Q-jet carb, vortec heads, 2004r tranny, NA rear = 305 wrhp
Sitting in my garage: LQ4, LS6 intake, Ported LS1 TB, TII rear end
On the wish list still: TC76, engine lift and warm weather!

Offline Sandmaster

• Trade Count: (4)
  • In The Bleach Box
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sandmaster has no influence.
    • View Profile
I'd be shocked if it weighed less than 2800-2900 lbs with fluids and no driver.
A few have been weighed and the weights are ranging from high 2600's to mid 2700's. I'm thinking 2800 will be closer to the max without a driver. Especially since they're really talking about weight being an integral part of making this a fun car and the bad PR would really sink sales on this one.
--Rx7's, Rx8's, Miatas,  S2000's,  Z-Cars (240, 350, 370...)  240sx's 300zx.... Why don't the Japanese just offer a non engine / tranny option for their new cars  :D

Maybe they could even partner with GM and offer an LS crate motor, haha. 

New Suby looks very good BTW!

Toyota will be selling the 86 in Japan in a stripped down model for the enthusiast in mind. It comes with steelies, no AC, and black bumpers. It would be interesting to see if Scion would do that here in the states for enthusiasts.

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Top Fuel
  • Reputation Power: 260
  • digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
Are these weighed cars US production cars sold through dealerships?    (serious question)    I'm impressed if so.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - Pro Touring Project Car

Offline Sandmaster

• In The Bleach Box
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sandmaster has no influence.
    • View Profile
Are these weighed cars US production cars sold through dealerships?    (serious question)    I'm impressed if so.

I'm pretty sure you know the answer to that one. Since none have been explicitly sold here in the US the answer would be no. The closest US car is Ken Gushi's Scion FR-S.

Ken Gushi's FD car ended up in the 2700-2799 weight class (that's including the driver) so take what you want from it between a stripped out car, all the racing and safety equipment added back in, along with the Cosworth EJ25 and his weight of 140 lbs (on the FD site) achieving a weight of 2800 lbs without a driver seems achievable.

If they don't nail the weight that they've been telling everyone it would be I think it's going to be a really hard sell for the general car buyer. All that weight will make the car feel sluggish and everyone will just move along to another manufacturer that has a car with more power and weight probably.

Offline Pez

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Top Fuel
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • Pez has great potential!Pez has great potential!Pez has great potential!Pez has great potential!Pez has great potential!Pez has great potential!Pez has great potential!Pez has great potential!Pez has great potential!
    • View Profile
FC/FD plug and play wiring harnesses, LSx swap AC systems, LSx swap power steering lines.

Offline Andrew R

• Supporting Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Launching!
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • Andrew R is a rising star!Andrew R is a rising star!Andrew R is a rising star!Andrew R is a rising star!Andrew R is a rising star!Andrew R is a rising star!
  • Superunnatural
    • View Profile
^^^ Like!
 :D

Offline spacevomit

• Supporting Member
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Top Fuel
  • Reputation Power: 65
  • spacevomit is awe-inspiring!spacevomit is awe-inspiring!spacevomit is awe-inspiring!spacevomit is awe-inspiring!spacevomit is awe-inspiring!spacevomit is awe-inspiring!spacevomit is awe-inspiring!spacevomit is awe-inspiring!spacevomit is awe-inspiring!spacevomit is awe-inspiring!spacevomit is awe-inspiring!spacevomit is awe-inspiring!
  • Ya blew it
    • View Profile
...and/or with a lunched transmission you mean.. :yay:

Offline GEAUX FAST

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Staged
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • GEAUX FAST barely matters.GEAUX FAST barely matters.
    • View Profile
Soooo... LS swap potential of the new FRS, 86, BRZ (all the same shit)
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 07:37:54 PM »
Bahahaha
<------------this space intentionally left blank------------>

Offline Jordan Innovations

• Top Fuel
  • Reputation Power: 37
  • Jordan Innovations is leading the good life!Jordan Innovations is leading the good life!Jordan Innovations is leading the good life!Jordan Innovations is leading the good life!Jordan Innovations is leading the good life!Jordan Innovations is leading the good life!Jordan Innovations is leading the good life!Jordan Innovations is leading the good life!Jordan Innovations is leading the good life!Jordan Innovations is leading the good life!Jordan Innovations is leading the good life!
  • Competition Mil-spec wiring/electronics since 2005
    • View Profile
    • Jordan Innovations
We've been following development of the FRS/BRZ for a while, and talked to Scion at SEMA about getting one for parts development.  I knew at that time that Ken was going to be driving one, but we didn't know who would be building/supporting it.  I joked that we'd love to put an LSx in it and I think that pretty much killed our chances, no one smiled haha.

Now that we're here, we are talking about having part-time access to two cars, hopefully we can investigate things.  We'll definitely be looking at doing headers/turbo kits/engine management/gauges/boost controllers/etc.  Measuring for LSx swap shouldn't be impossible.

The car is sized very well (it's almost as small as an FD) and has decent suspension geometry and a big enough engine bay... LSx swaps are definitely in it's future.  Then again, I said the same thing about the RX8...

Offline spacevomit

• Supporting Member
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Top Fuel
  • Reputation Power: 65
  • spacevomit is awe-inspiring!spacevomit is awe-inspiring!spacevomit is awe-inspiring!spacevomit is awe-inspiring!spacevomit is awe-inspiring!spacevomit is awe-inspiring!spacevomit is awe-inspiring!spacevomit is awe-inspiring!spacevomit is awe-inspiring!spacevomit is awe-inspiring!spacevomit is awe-inspiring!spacevomit is awe-inspiring!
  • Ya blew it
    • View Profile
We've been following development of the FRS/BRZ for a while, and talked to Scion at SEMA about getting one for parts development.  I knew at that time that Ken was going to be driving one, but we didn't know who would be building/supporting it.  I joked that we'd love to put an LSx in it and I think that pretty much killed our chances, no one smiled haha.

Now that we're here, we are talking about having part-time access to two cars, hopefully we can investigate things.  We'll definitely be looking at doing headers/turbo kits/engine management/gauges/boost controllers/etc.  Measuring for LSx swap shouldn't be impossible.

The car is sized very well (it's almost as small as an FD) and has decent suspension geometry and a big enough engine bay... LSx swaps are definitely in it's future.  Then again, I said the same thing about the RX8...

:yay: lmao.. 

Scion...lol

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Top Fuel
  • Reputation Power: 260
  • digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!digitalsolo is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
If they don't nail the weight that they've been telling everyone it would be I think it's going to be a really hard sell for the general car buyer. All that weight will make the car feel sluggish and everyone will just move along to another manufacturer that has a car with more power and weight probably.

I think 90% or more of buyers care about what it looks like and if it feels peppy.   Think about what percentage of Miata drivers buy them NEW for performance.   Not many.    Enthusiasts are, and always will be a small segment of the market.   <1% on most cars, maybe 10% on a car like this.

That said, I sure hope they do hit those numbers.   We need more drivers cars on the market.    Especially nice looking ones.   I'd love to have one of these or a Hyundai Genesis coupe as a daily driver.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - Pro Touring Project Car

Offline Andrew R

• Supporting Member
  • Launching!
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • Andrew R is a rising star!Andrew R is a rising star!Andrew R is a rising star!Andrew R is a rising star!Andrew R is a rising star!Andrew R is a rising star!
  • Superunnatural
    • View Profile
^^^ this car was built for cheap fun -not the fastest on the market -but it is meant to be a "driver's car" they designed it to go sideways.

Offline cool

• Launching!
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • cool is a force to reckon with.cool is a force to reckon with.cool is a force to reckon with.cool is a force to reckon with.cool is a force to reckon with.cool is a force to reckon with.cool is a force to reckon with.cool is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
What's the msrp on one?

Offline Jordan Innovations

• Top Fuel
  • Reputation Power: 37
  • Jordan Innovations is leading the good life!Jordan Innovations is leading the good life!Jordan Innovations is leading the good life!Jordan Innovations is leading the good life!Jordan Innovations is leading the good life!Jordan Innovations is leading the good life!Jordan Innovations is leading the good life!Jordan Innovations is leading the good life!Jordan Innovations is leading the good life!Jordan Innovations is leading the good life!Jordan Innovations is leading the good life!
  • Competition Mil-spec wiring/electronics since 2005
    • View Profile
    • Jordan Innovations
What's the msrp on one?

Invoice is $22,xxx and retail should be $26,xxx.

Offline DavidPHumes

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Launching!
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • DavidPHumes has a powerful will.DavidPHumes has a powerful will.DavidPHumes has a powerful will.DavidPHumes has a powerful will.DavidPHumes has a powerful will.DavidPHumes has a powerful will.DavidPHumes has a powerful will.
    • View Profile
I dig this thing. It kind of reminds me of a not-gay Miata. Power is low but people will find ways around it... always have... always will! I'm excited to see the first swap, but I suspect those won't go mainstream for a few years until used prices come down...

I'm imagining a white FRS, slammed with CCWs and a lopey LS3. Nom nom nom nom.
FC, L33, E85, TC76, 8.8" solid axle, 1.80 PG - Parted Out
NA Miata, FM coilovers, FM sway bars, Hard Dog roll bar, 949 subframe braces - Daily Driver

Tags: