March 28, 2024, 10:25:31 AM

Author Topic: A little different 93 RX7 LS1 T56***SOLD****  (Read 11738 times)

byrden

A little different 93 RX7 LS1 T56***SOLD****
« on: September 13, 2010, 09:46:14 PM »
***EDIT: Car has been sold.***

For sale is my LS1/T56 swapped 93 Mazda RX7.  Car is a red base model with no sunroof and black interior.  Chassis has about 110k miles, engine/trans about 65k miles.  Car has working power steering and air conditioning using R134a refrigerant.  Swap hardware is Granny?s hood mod kit so no bump steer correction necessary (stock rack/tie rods).  Car is complete and runs great; I have put about 7k miles on the swap over the past couple years with no problems.  Engine is all stock with F-body exhaust manifolds.

I could write a novel on this car, but I?ll try my best to keep it brief.  I?ve owned the car since 2003, third owner, and drove the car for about 3 years with the rotary.  I spent three years building the car.  Since I started the swap I?ve had two girls and my priorities have changed.  Not to mention I rarely get chance to drive it and therefore have decided to part ways with it.

This isn?t a typical swap.  Swap was done from a whole 2001 Camaro parts car.  I basically took the best of the two cars to make one.  This car uses the Camaro body control module (for keyless entry/alarm functions), 4 channel ABS/traction control, plastic fuel tank/internally regulated fuel pump, and instrument cluster.  Advantages described below.

4 channel ABS/traction control: Car uses the Bosch 5.3 ABS from the F-body.  The ABS on the RX7 is an older three channel system and was starting to leak.  The 4 channel ABS can work the rear wheels independently and is also necessary for the traction control.  I drove the car with the FD ABS disabled and the front brakes would lock up almost instantly so maintaining ABS for me was a necessity.  Not to mention the F-Body pump units are plentiful and can be found cheap.  Traction control works well and uses three methods of power reduction when slip is sensed: ignition timing is pulled, if this doesn?t work the throttle starts closing, and finally if those didn?t work it will apply brake force to the slipping wheel/wheels.  It can be turned off by a button press, but I can count on one hand the number of times I turned it off.  I have found as long as you work with it, it works very well and will still allow the rear to get a little loose.  This required all new brake tubing including an extra line run to the rear axle.  All the stock brake hoses were retained as well as the Mazda ABS wheel sensors.

F-body gas tank: This replaces the steel FD steel tank, is plastic and will not rust.  Most importantly this allowed me to run a dual outlet exhaust to both sides of the car, which is essentially impossible with a stock FD tank.  This permitted me to modify and use the SLP dual-dual Loudmouth stainless steel catback that came on the parts car.  The F-body tank also uses an internally regulated fuel pump so you don?t need the vette external regulated fuel filter.  The F-body EVAP system is also used and fully functional. This required the FD spare tire well to be removed, so there is no place to put a spare (but FD spare tire and jack is included).

F-body body control module: The PO put in a junky alarm installed by a shop of high school flunkies from the appearance of their handywork.  I pulled all remnants of the old equipment out and replaced it with the camaro?s keyless entry.  So the F-body remote is used which includes a trunk release button, I added a solenoid in the trunk so that this function would work (I thought it?d be cheesy to have a button that didn?t work). The dome lights, keyless and alarm functions work just like in an F-body.

F-body instrument cluster:  Running the F-body gas tank and ABS sort of made this a necessity, for gauges and indication lights.  I did not use the camaro cluster because I preferred the firebird cluster with amber lights so I installed a firebird cluster instead.  This eliminates the need for the Dakota Digital speedo correction box, and the speedometer can be adjusted for different tire diameter/gears by a program like HP Tuners.  The FD cluster hood was reworked with abs plastic, not fiberglass as I was concerned about fiberglass cracking and separating in the future.  All the gauges and warning/indicator lights work just as they would in an F-body.  Since I knew I had to rework the instrument cluster I was able to move the steering column up about 1 inch to make more room for my knees (I?m 6?2? tall and the stock FD steering wheel location barely gave my fingers enough room to clear my knees when turning the wheel, now there is plenty of space).

The car has:
18x8.5 front rims with 235/40/18 Azenis tires
18x9.5 rear rims with 275/35/18 Azenis tires
Front and rear Powerslot rotors with EBC green pads
Rebuilt front calipers
Eibach Pro springs with stock shocks
Hurst billet shifter
Dual Magnaflow 2.5 inch catalytic convertors
Modified F-body SLP Loudmouth dual-dual SS Catback
Flowmaster dual 2.5 to 3 inch collector
Stock mounted high capacity aluminum radiator
Siebon ?Scoot style? carbon hood
Aluminum Mazda Accessory door sills
New carpet
Leatherseats.com ultrasuede recovered seats
Pioneer cd player with Sony 4 channel amp
Kenwood 6.5 in component speakers in front
Kenwood 6x9 speakers in boxes in trunk
All new rear pillow ball joints
All suspension bushings replaced
Prothane transmission mount
Power steering fluid cooler

All electrical splices were soldered and protected with heat shrink tubing.  Wire runs were consolidated and taped/wire loomed as appropriate.  Stock FD circuits and relays were used wherever possible.  I was not comfortable using bump steer correction which is why I ran Granny?s hood mod kit.  This allowed me to run a stock FD located radiator/fans and gave me enough room to put the battery under the hood; as I did not want the battery anywhere in the passenger compartment.  Another advantage to this setup is that the F-body LS1 oil pan has more road clearance, and the sway bar is still the lowest part in the front end so the radiator also has better protection.  To me, these advantages by far outweighed not being able to run a stock hood.  The hood issue was easily solved by running the Seibon ?Scoot style? carbon hood.  The paint is showing its age and could use a fresh coat soon, it still has a decent shine when polished and waxed.  The body has the usual dings for its age.

The interior was originally tan which I converted to black.  I replaced the carpet and seat covers.  The door panels and headliner were dyed, and the kick panels, rear sail panels and rear bins were painted black.  The seatbelts, sunvisors, visor hardware, dome light were replaced with brand new mazda parts.

I get a headache whenever I think about the amount of time I spent researching/building this car, so my brain is toast now.  Car is located near Frederick Maryland, asking $17,000.  Any questions feel free to ask.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 03:34:17 PM by byrden »

Offline wickedrx7

Re: A little different 93 RX7 LS1 T56
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 08:48:17 AM »
I can't believe how factory that gauge cluster looks, how the hell did you do that? Amazed.

BTW-I think your price is too low... this is a very clean car from the looks of it.

1993 Touring, 2012 L99, T-56, Ronnin 8.8, Ohlins, Speedhut, Samberg and lots of custom parts
Build Thread - http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19354.0
Pictures - www.flikr.com/wickedrx7

Offline BrownBoy

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 08:55:12 AM »
I had to look twice when I saw the cluster, build looks very well put together.

Offline mpcv2000

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 09:06:22 AM »
Wow... This car should sell fast.

Price is right on ( for the market right now )

Very , very nice car.
Martin !

Offline mattster03

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 10:22:02 AM »
thumbs up for originality, I like the use of the Fbody fuel tank and the dual exhaust!
Current Car: 1993 Mazda RX7 Touring, LS1/T56, Stock Stock Stock

1993 Mazda RX7 R1, LS1/T56, EPS 230/238, TSP Ported heads
10.826 @ 128 , 1.53 60' - SOLD

Feature Article - http://www.importmeet.com/blog/2012/03/29/best-of-both-worlds-v8rx7guys-ls1-swapped-1993-mazda-rx-7/
Swap Info - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2801662

1986 Mazda RX7 GXL, LT1/T56 "Retired"
Swap Info - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/641869

Offline 93silverbullet

• Supporting Member
  • Launching!
  • Faster than a speeding ticket...
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 12:31:51 PM »
Appears to be a VERY well built car! GLWS.
Richard.

Offline cool

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 12:46:58 PM »
Incredible ingenuity.  Very impressed.  Good luck with the sale, shouldnt take long.

Offline mdessouki

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 02:24:48 PM »
How did you get the ABS to work?  I'd love to hear details.

Free bump for a clean/ very well priced car

Offline GEAUX FAST

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 09:22:14 PM »
wow! I really like the guages and the exhaust set up! great price wish this had been up when I was shopping! Great use of the F-body items !!

byrden

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 10:04:38 PM »
Thanks for all the positive feedback! 

The instrument cluster hood just took an airless plastic welder, a heat gun, a dremel, a sheet of ABS plastic, sand paper, paint and a rediculous amount of time.

The ABS wasn't all that bad to get working, the system still uses the stock FD wheel sensors without a hickup.  I think there is like 2 or 3 pulses per wheel revolution difference between the f-body and FD wheel sensors.  I think by my math I did at the time it amounted to a difference of about 3 mph at 60 mph.  From my recollection/research the ABS mainly just monitors the wheels for lockup and only adjusts brake bias based on the measured speed.  Triming, fitting, bending and flaring the new brake lines took some time, plus a new (second) line had to be run to the rear axle for the extra (4th) channel.

Just about every aspect of this swap was time consuming.  Swapping the LS1/T56, was the easy part.  I took me 3 years working almost every weekend to build this car.

Offline csilvers1984

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 10:10:39 PM »
not a fan of the cluster but the car is very clean,glws

Offline GEAUX FAST

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 08:47:55 PM »
Thanks for all the positive feedback! 

The instrument cluster hood just took an airless plastic welder, a heat gun, a dremel, a sheet of ABS plastic, sand paper, paint and a rediculous amount of time.

The ABS wasn't all that bad to get working, the system still uses the stock FD wheel sensors without a hickup.  I think there is like 2 or 3 pulses per wheel revolution difference between the f-body and FD wheel sensors.  I think by my math I did at the time it amounted to a difference of about 3 mph at 60 mph.  From my recollection/research the ABS mainly just monitors the wheels for lockup and only adjusts brake bias based on the measured speed.  Triming, fitting, bending and flaring the new brake lines took some time, plus a new (second) line had to be run to the rear axle for the extra (4th) channel.

Just about every aspect of this swap was time consuming.  Swapping the LS1/T56, was the easy part.  I took me 3 years working almost every weekend to build this car.

obviously a labor of love, I spent that kind of time on the street bikes I built back in the day. Its the kind of detail you can only put in a project that you really enjoy, and make time for. I wish I had the same amount of time to put into my FD. Sadly the way the economy is now, cost of living etc ROBs me of the time I would love to pour into mine. I am really impressed with this car, as I said before too bad this one was not around when I was shopping.

The stock 7 guages I really like the look of, BUT the F body guages REALLY set this car apart in my book, a simple touch paying homage to the true soul of the car. Someone please buy this before I have two in my driveway!! GLWS I promise I wont post anymore useless info on this thread lol

Offline Speedfab

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 09:32:29 PM »
I think that gauge cluster is awesome, very nice work.

unless you own a turbo ls9 rx7 you do not know what the fuck you are talking about.

Offline jim3

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 07:15:06 AM »
Great looking car.  I like everything about it.  Everything.  GLWS, if I had 17g extra it would be mine.
You can make a barn door fly with enough horsepower.

Retirement at last.  Wife's not happy, I bought a '66 Rustang instead of paying off my F150.